Good Alternatives to Fighting

Pendulum

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I’m designing a game that includes a few different kinds of RPG antics, but the first few involve battles. However, since the character is a child/teenager, I don’t really want to give them any weapons or extremely violent Magic’s, and was wondering, what would be good alternatives for spells and/or weapons?

AcousticJamm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Toys, like a toy knife or blaster or something

Pendulum

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Toys, like a toy knife or blaster or something
I think I worded this incorrectly, one second. I wish to find an alternative that doesn’t involve fighting, like maybe they can feed the monster or persuade it or something, but it’s something that doesn’t require brute force.

AcousticJamm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Perhaps you could code in some kind of ACT system with an ACT bar in place of FIGHT.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Realistically speaking, a teenager doesn't have the patience to haggle or convince and feeding a monster might not be a good idea - why accept just the offered meal when the weakling in front of you cannot defend themselves?
There are many ways they can battle. Rap battles, riddles, he can try to outrun him or escape from him, showing off, clothing contest, food contest,... But I'd keep feeding and convincing to bare minimum.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You said it involves battles, so I assume you are looking to keep the general battle system but change up the framing.

How about scaring off the monsters? Their HP would represent their will to fight you. Equips would be things like scary masks, torches, or warding totems. Skills would be things like stomping your feet, waving an object around, or growling. You could even have the monsters use an Escape move if their HP falls below half!

An important design note - the first hour or so of gameplay will generally set expectations for the rest of the game. You don't want the gameplay to be too much different in the first hour from the main game flow without bringing that dynamic back later on.

xoferew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know anything about your game or character but I'm picturing a scientific kid who wants to study a dangerous but perhaps protected species. So, humane traps, tranq gun, restraints and muzzle that are put on the monster when it's sedated... I'm way off base here, aren't I? ^_^

Pendulum

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like all of your suggestions a lot actually, thanks for replying!
Realistically speaking, a teenager doesn't have the patience to haggle or convince and feeding a monster might not be a good idea - why accept just the offered meal when the weakling in front of you cannot defend themselves?
There are many ways they can battle. Rap battles, riddles, he can try to outrun him or escape from him, showing off, clothing contest, food contest,... But I'd keep feeding and convincing to bare minimum.
Perhaps you could code in some kind of ACT system with an ACT bar in place of FIGHT.
I fell like you two got the closest to what I was imagining, with their being quirky actions instead of actual combat.
You said it involves battles, so I assume you are looking to keep the general battle system but change up the framing.

How about scaring off the monsters? Their HP would represent their will to fight you. Equips would be things like scary masks, torches, or warding totems. Skills would be things like stomping your feet, waving an object around, or growling. You could even have the monsters use an Escape move if their HP falls below half!

An important design note - the first hour or so of gameplay will generally set expectations for the rest of the game. You don't want the gameplay to be too much different in the first hour from the main game flow without bringing that dynamic back later on.
Though this is also incredibly interesting, I don’t think it fits the tone of my game very well, as it’s more of lighter based game, but I may use your idea for a boss battle later in it. Thanks for the advice!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Game Mechanics Design. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

AcousticJamm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I like all of your suggestions a lot actually, thanks for replying!

I fell like you two got the closest to what I was imagining, with their being quirky actions instead of actual combat.

Okay, but I hope you know what I meant by ACT bar. It's, like, the enemy's HP bar, except more like a WILL bar, since it's their will to fight. Oh, and you gain EXP by being hurt? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making test maps is really illuminating when it comes to figuring out how the real maps should be. It's like the outline that one writes for the story before writing the actual story.
I am adamant about not having missable quests, which means having to write entirely new scenes at each plot progression that takes into account that time and events have passed since the quest could first be accepted while still having there be a quest to solve in the first place. It's worth every second.
Surprisingly useful and thought provoking
Working on animation. Trying to see if I can apply it meaningfully to my games!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lord_Keven