Good Alternatives to Fighting

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Pendulum, Aug 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pendulum

Pendulum Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I’m designing a game that includes a few different kinds of RPG antics, but the first few involve battles. However, since the character is a child/teenager, I don’t really want to give them any weapons or extremely violent Magic’s, and was wondering, what would be good alternatives for spells and/or weapons?

2. AcousticJamm

AcousticJamm YouTuber Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Toys, like a toy knife or blaster or something

3. Pendulum

Pendulum Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think I worded this incorrectly, one second. I wish to find an alternative that doesn’t involve fighting, like maybe they can feed the monster or persuade it or something, but it’s something that doesn’t require brute force.

4. AcousticJamm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Perhaps you could code in some kind of ACT system with an ACT bar in place of FIGHT.

5. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Realistically speaking, a teenager doesn't have the patience to haggle or convince and feeding a monster might not be a good idea - why accept just the offered meal when the weakling in front of you cannot defend themselves?
    There are many ways they can battle. Rap battles, riddles, he can try to outrun him or escape from him, showing off, clothing contest, food contest,... But I'd keep feeding and convincing to bare minimum.

Starbird_Resources and Pendulum like this.
  6. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You said it involves battles, so I assume you are looking to keep the general battle system but change up the framing.

How about scaring off the monsters? Their HP would represent their will to fight you. Equips would be things like scary masks, torches, or warding totems. Skills would be things like stomping your feet, waving an object around, or growling. You could even have the monsters use an Escape move if their HP falls below half!

An important design note - the first hour or so of gameplay will generally set expectations for the rest of the game. You don't want the gameplay to be too much different in the first hour from the main game flow without bringing that dynamic back later on.

7. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I don't know anything about your game or character but I'm picturing a scientific kid who wants to study a dangerous but perhaps protected species. So, humane traps, tranq gun, restraints and muzzle that are put on the monster when it's sedated... I'm way off base here, aren't I? ^_^

FirestormNeos and Pendulum like this.
  8. Pendulum

Pendulum Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like all of your suggestions a lot actually, thanks for replying!
    I fell like you two got the closest to what I was imagining, with their being quirky actions instead of actual combat.
    Though this is also incredibly interesting, I don’t think it fits the tone of my game very well, as it’s more of lighter based game, but I may use your idea for a boss battle later in it. Thanks for the advice!

9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Game Mechanics Design. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Pendulum likes this.
  10. AcousticJamm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, but I hope you know what I meant by ACT bar. It's, like, the enemy's HP bar, except more like a WILL bar, since it's their will to fight. Oh, and you gain EXP by being hurt? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.