Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've seen people ask about good drawing software plenty of times before, so I decided I'd compile up what I've used in the past, and what I currently use. Feel free to suggest something to add to the list! :ohappy::ohappy::ohappy:

1) Paint Tool Sai
I still don't quite understand everything about this program, but I'm getting there! :kaomad2::kaopride:It's a very useful tool for art, and has served me time and again. You can download it here (Pls say this is the right link ;w;w;w): Click me!!

2) FireAlpaca
It is an alternative to SAI, and does just about the same thing as SAI. :kaopride: I don't use it much anymore but it has served me well. :kaojoy: Download it here: If you love me you'll click on me!!

3) Medibang Pro
It's similar to FireAlpaca but it is for drawing manga, or comics IIRC. :kaopride: Link here: CLICKIE ME PLS!!!

4) Photoshop
Don't kill me for mentioning Photoshop pls, but this is actually a pretty underrated product. :kaocry: I know quite a few people here can't afford it, and I can't either it was a Christmas gift ._. But for those who can afford it, it is a good product and provides everything you need. :kaojoy: Link here: Do you even love me... Just click please...

5) Krita
I used to use Krita a long time ago, but I've lost my grasp with it. It's a nice program though and has served me well. :kaojoy: Linku: No one cares.. I feel so sad...

6) Gimp
I honestly have no idea how Gimp works, but it seems to be a good option. Link: the thread owner hates me... WAAAH

Last edited:

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for me
1: PhotoShop || Ilustrator (mockup)
2: After Effect (Animate Sequencing mockup)
3: TexturePacker (rendering Sequencing Animation)
4: Visual Studio Code ( coding Sequencing rendering)

5: Redo (loop) all stages, until all is perfect ***↑↑↑

Last edited:

Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What is Visual Studio and Texture packer @.@ @Jonforum

Kyoku

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aaaah, almost all of 'em cost money!:kaocry:So broke....
At least Medibang Pro is free.:kaojoy:
But I'm too used to Krita and Gimp to bother switching.:kaoswt:
I'm also very laaaaaazy...:kaothx:
Visual Studio and Texture packer sound so professional! I agree, I wonder what it is!:kaohi:

Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kyoku Ah crap I forgot Krita. THANNKKKSSSS

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What is Visual Studio and Texture packer @.@ @Jonforum
Visual Studio code , , hum is a reader from microsoft.
Difficult to present it, its a code editor and code reader.
You can make code and reade text file ...

Texture Packer is hands down the best spriteSheet generation tool on the market.
is allow you to compile animation PNG +alpha ,mockup and code in a file to make easy rendering code.
In short, it compiles several small files (png, Jpg), in one to one make spriteSheets exploitable in a software.
you also can do in gimp or photoshop, but is more easy with this soft.
and free license alow you to do it for rmmv

Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Jonforum I don't think this would count as art, at least in the way I'm talking about it... ;w;w;w;

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah I know, but I'm talking about actual drawing...
Ho ok .. bha photoshop and gimp ,,
These are the software that I use for drawing.
It works well with my tablet.

But impossible to do something good without other softwares. Like After Effect from Adobe and visual studio for coding draw.
But it remains my personal opinion.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use the obscure and outdated RealWorld Paint for everything. Click

KayZaman

Brother-Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English & Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm iPad user, so for those who use iPad, here's my recommendation.

"Procreate" my super tool drawing. Not just drawing but also edit, and make my own sprites. Not free but awesome.

"MediBang" my young younger sister used to it.

"Adobe Sketch & Illustrator" I didn't use it for long.

"53" Drawing and note to self.

"Tayasui Sketch" Good for drawing but paid if you wanna use layers, brush size and ruler.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Clip Studio Paint - Better for drawing than Photoshop, especially if you're using a tablet. It's got better usage of the pen. I like it for character drawing.

Pyxel Edit - If you're making pixel tilesets I cannot recommended this enough. You can do a mock-up and setup the individual tiles at exactly the same time. It also has some good animation tools but I wouldn't buy it based on that.

Aseprite - This is an excellent pixel animation program. I've also seen people make tilesets with it but this isn't what I use it for. The animation tools are fantastic, with layers and onion skinning and such.

GIMP - This is good for editing. I tend to use this to set up my tiles once I've made them in Pyxel Edit. It's a bit clunky compared to Photoshop but you can modify a lot of key commands and once you get used to it, it's a lot easier. It's also free, which is not a small thing.

Krita - It's buggy but updated constantly and has a Painter like quality. I've been trying to get used to it ever since I lost my copy of Painter in a computer death and can't find the CD. I especially like the wrap canvas feature, it's the cleanest implementation I've seen outside of pixel programs.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint.

I loved using Photoshop quite a bit however my strokes on the program never really came out smoothly.
Because of this I always had to draw with a brush of 1 pixel. (Can't see wavy lines if you draw a really thin line)

However after realizing that I wanted to do more than just thin lines, I decided to look for a new painting software
and thankfully found Clip Studio Paint. Now my lines are the most smoothest looking they've ever been!

So I use Photoshop to make drafts while I use Clip studio for final lining and coloring. (。- ω -)

Last edited:

waynee95

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Paintstormstudio. :)
You can find it here http://www.paintstormstudio.com/.
For me, it is the program I am most comfortable with. It has a really nice brush engine and it's really fast. If you have a painterly art style and work with different brushes. This program is really good for you.

Bricabrac

The Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm very fond of SAI. I'd also like to report that if you buy SAI 1 now (it costs around 40 bucks), you also get a license of SAI 2 FOR FREE.
The program is still in beta, but already has tons of useful features like perspective grids! It's wonderful for drawing backgrounds.

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd like to second what @KayZaman said about iPad users.

ProCreate is hands down the best drawing experience I've had so far. I never even draw on my PC anymore....:kaoblush:

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for making sprites I use Paint.NET

though I have been considering firealpaca but I need a drawing pad first, what would be a good one to get? preferrably less than $300.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Talking about drawing tablets would hijack the thread. Just start a new one or see if one of the existing ones has the information you need.

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Talking about drawing tablets would hijack the thread. Just start a new one or see if one of the existing ones has the information you need.
sorry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan
Did a massive ****up in my code that would have caused the game to crash on most computers and almost released an update without noticing it.
I keep thinking today is Thursday.
And I look forward to the next preview thread coming this afternoon.
And then I realise it's not Thursday at all.
And then I get sad :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr