Good uses for Critical Rate and Critical Evasion?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What are these for? If they are there, then they must be significant. Here is what I know and how I understand it:

You need to give a higher Critical Rate to a battler that mainly does damage. And add Critical Evasion to a more tough/resilient battler, like a "Tank" actor/class.

But what else?

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's it, atleast on a basic level.

Critical Rate influences the likelyhood of achieving a critical strike (if the skill allows it)
Critical Evasion nullifies a certain part of the enemies Critical Rate to avoid them.

It's up to you to implement these parameters creatively.

You need to give a higher Critical Rate to a battler that mainly does damage. And add Critical Evasion to a more tough/resilient battler, like a "Tank" actor/class.

It doesn't need to be so black and white.

Here are some examples of how to use critical strikes in a creative way:
- Allow your healing spells to critical strike aswell (to make your healers benefit from it)
- Allow all or some spells to critical strike aswell (to make your spellcasters benefit from it)
- Make some abilities have bonus-effects if they critically hit (probably needs a plugin though)
- Use the critical rate (cri) and critical evasion (cev) in your damage formulas

These are just a few examples, but the potential is limitless.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
- Make some abilities have bonus-effects if they critically hit (probably needs a plugin though)
No it doesn't. I do this a lot and I just use the damage formula, it's very straightforward.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No it doesn't. I do this a lot and I just use the damage formula, it's very straightforward.
The thing to watch there is that if a battler is set to auto battle, they will evaluate the damage formulas of all skills they can use as part of deciding what to use that turn, which means if you put additional effects in the damage formula they can happen even without using the skill.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Trihan
True - but I never set a battler to auto battle - hate that mechanic.

EDIT
I'd better clarify that.
I dislike the way that auto battle (as a command equivalent to the old 'melee' command) was implemented, because all too often the character used an OP, expensive skill when an ordinary attack or cheap skill would have done the trick. Therefore when I have had that command in my games, I have changed it so that the actors can only use attack, no skills, hence no evaluation of damage formulae.

The other form of auto battle where you have no control over the actor and the engine decides it all is something that I simply do not bother with. Seems rather pointless to me and just takes the problem of the other form of auto battle to a higher level.

These are, of course, just my self-opinionated opinions, and other people may love the mechanic.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."
Me: "I don't to use other engines because I'd have to do a lot of coding."

Also my desktop right now....
mycurrentdesktop.jpg

...I literally spend more time using VS Code than MZ. :kaoswt:
actually, are there any JRPG type games (I guess turn based, so not ARPGs like say, Vagrant Story) where you have only one party member for the majority of the game? (I wonder if I'm forgetting something obvious.)
*sigh* This one turned out really well... except for the left arm pose...
fPRzKSp.jpg

Yes I purposely cutout the arm cause from the pic
A month into making my life/dating sim game and I've finally finished making all of the love interests :kaocry: I still have to make most of their emotion range and overworld sprites but aye I'm proud of myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nosferatu88