Good uses for Critical Rate and Critical Evasion?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What are these for? If they are there, then they must be significant. Here is what I know and how I understand it:

You need to give a higher Critical Rate to a battler that mainly does damage. And add Critical Evasion to a more tough/resilient battler, like a "Tank" actor/class.

But what else?

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's it, atleast on a basic level.

Critical Rate influences the likelyhood of achieving a critical strike (if the skill allows it)
Critical Evasion nullifies a certain part of the enemies Critical Rate to avoid them.

It's up to you to implement these parameters creatively.

You need to give a higher Critical Rate to a battler that mainly does damage. And add Critical Evasion to a more tough/resilient battler, like a "Tank" actor/class.

It doesn't need to be so black and white.

Here are some examples of how to use critical strikes in a creative way:
- Allow your healing spells to critical strike aswell (to make your healers benefit from it)
- Allow all or some spells to critical strike aswell (to make your spellcasters benefit from it)
- Make some abilities have bonus-effects if they critically hit (probably needs a plugin though)
- Use the critical rate (cri) and critical evasion (cev) in your damage formulas

These are just a few examples, but the potential is limitless.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
- Make some abilities have bonus-effects if they critically hit (probably needs a plugin though)
No it doesn't. I do this a lot and I just use the damage formula, it's very straightforward.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No it doesn't. I do this a lot and I just use the damage formula, it's very straightforward.
The thing to watch there is that if a battler is set to auto battle, they will evaluate the damage formulas of all skills they can use as part of deciding what to use that turn, which means if you put additional effects in the damage formula they can happen even without using the skill.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Trihan
True - but I never set a battler to auto battle - hate that mechanic.

EDIT
I'd better clarify that.
I dislike the way that auto battle (as a command equivalent to the old 'melee' command) was implemented, because all too often the character used an OP, expensive skill when an ordinary attack or cheap skill would have done the trick. Therefore when I have had that command in my games, I have changed it so that the actors can only use attack, no skills, hence no evaluation of damage formulae.

The other form of auto battle where you have no control over the actor and the engine decides it all is something that I simply do not bother with. Seems rather pointless to me and just takes the problem of the other form of auto battle to a higher level.

These are, of course, just my self-opinionated opinions, and other people may love the mechanic.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlolanNinetales