Goodbye, friend of the world...

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by hyde9318, Aug 12, 2014.

1. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am sure the news is out worldwide by now, and I am even more sure that you guys are probably already sick of seeing so many people talk about this, but I thought that I would take a minute and honor an amazing human being, Robin Williams, who passed away recently. 

Roughly six years ago, I visited L.A. for the very first time. It was an experience that I hold close to my heart, but not cause of the city itself, but more a single hour long period. My girlfriend and mother had recently left the hotel to go on a shopping spree somewhere in the city. Hungry and bored, my brother and I hit the town looking for some food. We stumbled eventually upon one of those outdoor cafes you always see in the movies, so we decided to stop and see what those places actually had to eat. We sat down and placed our order, my eyes starting to wander around the place as we waited for our food. Suddenly, I noticed a familiar face reading a newspaper not three tables from us. It was Robin himself, the man whos entire career I knew by heart, one of my all time favorite actors. Without even thinking, I stood up and slowly walked over to introduce myself. Looking back, I feel like a total creep, but I couldn't help it, I was in complete awe of the man. As I got close, he looked up from his Newspaper and just said Hi. All I said was "Sir, forgive me if this seems weird, but I just wanted to say hello and that I am a big fan of your films". Without missing a dayum beat, he goes "No, weird would have been if you opened with a sexual joke, I feel you did rather well", and just put on his biggest smile. We kind of just joked a bit as I told him about how I found him to be a huge inspiration and how I never missed one of his movies. Few minutes later, I walked back to my seat, just as my food came out. Didn't get three bites into my sandwich when I hear Robin above us asking if he could join us. Of course I said yeah, and he sat down and we just talked up a storm. We talked about everything from why we were in town, to where I came from, to our families (that man loved his family more than anything else in the world, let me tell you). After a bit, he looked down at his watched and realized he had stayed a bit too long and had to leave. AS he stood up, he asked if I would write my address down. He said that if he was ever in Michigan for any decent amount of time that he wanted to take my family out for dinner and catch up. As he walked out, I thought to myself "He just asked for that to be nice, no celebrity is going to just show up at my house". I was kind of both right and wrong. While he never showed up out of the blue, I did get a Christmas card two years ago that just said "Was just thinking about you guys, tell your family the Williams' say Merry Christmas". That card now is packed away safely along with the card I got last year from Jerry Springer (LOOOONNNNGGG Story there, that is for another time, lmao). 

To this day, I cherish the time I got with that man. He made me understand that no matter your past, no matter what happens, there is humor in everything. While I know his past became too much to handle for himself, I feel my future can be brighter because of what that man has taught all of us... find the humor to make a dark situation bright. 

While I am never one to be distressed over the passing of a celebrity, Robin has touched the lives of people all over the world, from all generations. I am personally deeply saddened by this loss, and both my heart and thoughts go out to his family during these hard times. Rest in piece you magnificent man you...

[​IMG]

I was thinking, to honor him in a way, why don't we share our favorite Robin Williams moments? The man has been in so many TV shows and movies, not to mention stand-up specials, that I believe half the board could contribute and we still wouldnt have gone through his whole career. 

My favorite movie with him is difficult to choose. I loved both his funny and serious roles almost equally. However, for funny i would have to say Good Morning Vietnam. That movie really showed off his improvisation skills. They pretty much just gave him directions instead of a full script cause they knew they couldn't contain him in any way. So almost every single joke you hear in that movie was him just being himself on set, and that makes it even funnier. But in terms of his dramatic roles, What Dreams May Come takes the cake. I dare you to sit through that and not cry, I freaking dare you. That whole movie is an emotional roller coaster of the best kind. It does NOT get the credit it deserves as it wasn't a crazy popular film, but he was simply astounding in that movie. 

[​IMG]

So, what are your favorite Robin Williams films?

Venka, Arkane609, Confederacy and 6 others like this.
  2. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yea this really is tragic and epic saddening to my soul. I was thinking omfg and wtf and was tragically shocked by it. I feel for the man because he brought so much happiness and joy to people especially myself and to find out he was so sad that he would do such an act. I wish I had the chance to tell him how much joy and happiness he brought to me personally.  I feel the world lost a priceless gem yesterday.

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hyde, what an incredible story and what an honor.

I don't know that I can pick a single movie as my favorite. I will say, I am rarely effected by celebrity deaths. I might think "Oh that's a shame", but rarely much more than that.

When I saw the news yesterday however, I was deeply saddened. Saddened that the world lost such a great man, but also saddened to think of the burdened he carried inside that lead him to this choice.

And I just wanted to say to anyone reading this who may be feeling a similar burden, please feel free to message me. There is always another answer.

4. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think it's wonderful when celebrities remain genuinely nice people rather than letting their money and/or fame go to their heads, as so many do.

He did an excellent job in the movie "One Hour Photo," but I heard it so unsettled his wife, that his wife told him not to do any more movies like that, since he performed VERY much method acting, living as the character through the entire duration of filming.

And I also enjoyed "What Dreams May Come", but for once I liked the Hollywood chosen ending better.  

The original ending would have had his character stuck with his wife, in her suicide Hell, forever, with her never able to hear, see or touch him.

I just hope Robin William's beautiful soul gets healed on the other side.  Depression is a truly horrible mental illness, one those of us who have never been clinically depressed can ever hope to comprehend.  It's nothing like being in a funk or even feeling depressed, if the feeling passes on its own.

5. Earthtian

Earthtian how can you prove you exist...? Maybe we don't exi Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well I know that it was a bit ago that Robin Williams passed ;_;   but I figured it would be cool if people got to answer this question.

What was your favorite movie with Robin Williams?

Love you Robin, may your films be forever in our hearts!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  6. GraveBusta

GraveBusta Vengful Veteran

First Language:
    English
    He was a legend one of the only few voice actors we had left that are good

7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  8. doncht

doncht Villager Member

He will be forever remembered. I also consider him as a legend in Hollywood. 

9. GraveBusta

GraveBusta Vengful Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Robin williams was the best NA voice actor that was alive a real repectful and honerable man he was a normal guy with big dreams like us all and made it it big forever will I remember Robin Williams not just as a fan but as one of the best man ever to be born in this generation never will I allow anyone to take away the memories he game my childhood 

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Merging.

11. Earthtian

Earthtian how can you prove you exist...? Maybe we don't exi Veteran

First Language:
    English
    LETS GO ROBIN!! ALL THE WAY

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  12. Korimax

Korimax Architect of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Robin Williams is someone who I will always remember, and it saddens me that he has now left us.

I'll admit that I haven't seen all the things he has done and originally I hadn't planned on it. But it seems only fair that I look into all that he has done now that he is gone.

13. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, have been on a Robin marathon for a couple days now. 46 movies all together to watch from what is on my computer right now, I am missing some though. Rewatched Bicentennial Man and What Dreams May Come today and I must say... that man has beautiful dramatic acting abilities. The sheer emotion in both of those movies is enough to make a grown man weep, especially What Dreams...