Grabbing the screen without Bitmap.snap?

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Working on a game that I'd like to do a 'screen ghosting' effect/glitch, where I take a snap of the present scene (aka 'taking a screenshot'), lower the snap's alpha, and place it at a random small amount of offset for a short period of time before I destroy it.  Unfortunately, Bitmap.snap is incredibly heavily burdensome (135ms!!!) and so it just can't work for real-time purposes.

You can see the effect in motion in RPG Maker VXA here:

Is there any way to ask PIXI.JS for its last rendered screen, or a faster method to grab the screen -- really, anything that would allow me to accomplish the above?  I've considered doing a shader - but I know nothing about shaders or how to implement them in RPG Maker MV.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
When I run Bitmap.snap, the first time it takes 100+ ms, but then after that it takes on average 40 ms.

The speed of the computer probably makes a difference though, as well as the size of the canvas.

I don't know any faster ways of grabbing what's rendered on the stage though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firgof

Artist / Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm willing to do things like just read straight from the video card buffer [thus making the game desktop only] if that's what it takes.

As aforementioned in my post, a shader would probably do what I'm asking for here a lot faster - but I don't know how to implement a shader that would accomplish the above effect.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2021? I still wonder if people still doing MV than MZ more
Seeing a lot more active Ace topics recently, is it making a comeback? :o
0-7, left-to-right, top-to-bottom
As soon as I'm able to get out of bed I'm probably gonna go so hyper from being too cooped up, and burn myself out into another awful flare. lol
It makes me feel proud whenever an RM game does well. Even though I had nothing to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krunga