GrandmaDeb's Modern Exterior Tiles

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX/Ace Resources' started by GrandmaDeb, Mar 31, 2015.

1. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

Modern Exterior TileSet Philosophy and TileSet Introduction
    BETA VERSION
    by GrandmaDeb​
    High Rise and Olde Towne Modern Exteriors.PNG

Suburban Screenie.PNG

First of all, I have done my best, but really if you want first class stuff, check out Celianna's Futuristic Tiles
    http://pixanna.nl/products/futuristic-tiles/
    and Lunarea's Modern Tiles
    http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/modern-day-tiles-resource-pack
    My ideas are shared here so you can understand the way I have organized my resources and the maps I am trying to make. =] Hope it helps.
    Features of the Resources/ Suggested Mapping Approach:
    * Four Main Areas – My tiles have been designed to allow you to produce four areas in your maps, which overlap one another somewhat, as modern cities do. They are High Rise, Old Towne, Industrial/Commercial, and Suburban.
    *Waterways - TileA1/A2 - Most modern cities have very regulated waterways due to crowding. Industrial areas may have boggy run-off areas. Suburban areas could have creeks. For this reason, I suggest using the inside water tiles, which provides a creek and fountains, and the TileA2 edit with a boggy areas for your modern city.
    TileA1 – Use the Ace RTP Inside-A1 with two edited water tiles.
    TileA2 – this compilation from CyangMou, Candacis, IceDragon, TerraChan, Mack, the RTP and GrandmaDeb has a grass bordered boggy depression for watery areas also. (not passible via boats – if )
    *Approach to Vehicles/World Mapping - I suggest that main maps only have “decorative” vehicles. Vehicles on main maps can be parked or shown moving in a parallax on busy streets where your players cannot travel. Players can enter certain vehicles (taxis, buses, or cars in parking lots or parking spaces) which then transport them to a world map, where the player appears as a vehicle on a road. On the world map, a 32x32 (or slightly larger) vehicle may be used.
    As you can see, next to a 32 by 32 sprite, a vehicle that is 75 pixels wide looks proportional, and would look good on a map with buildings. But a smaller vehicle would be needed on a world map. (Pictures courtesy of Nanikasira TKool)
    Handling vehicles and world maps in this way allows a realistic look in your main maps but allows travel between cities in vehicles. Airplane/bus/subway travel could either be on the world map in a vehicle, or in a map used in a common event showing passengers seated on the airplane, etc.
    *RTP Style? – While I have tried to keep my materials in an RTP style, it seems to me that part of the RTP style is tied up in the setting it represents – mostly pre-industrial and largely medieval. Big old blocks of stone make sense for that time period, but not now. Modern materials are less textured (look at some concrete walls, or adobe (in the South) or the manufactured trims and coatings. Modern homes may have multiple exterior materials (concrete foundation, siding, stone and brick all on one house!)
    Modern homes have lots of broken roof lines (reverse gables) with tons of stuff like pipes and satellite dishes on roofs. There are small enclosures and equipment on the roof of commercial building.
    And although RTP walls usually have heavy edges (big wooden beams, pillars, different colored bricks) I just cannot get over the fact that very few modern homes have accents like this (except ones with siding.) So I skirted that RTP style element a bit. I claim poetic license. =]
    *Doors are preferred to be One and a half tiles high, but okay we can find other sizes too. =] But I think the 1 ½ size works best.
    Introducing the tileset
    Credits, Terms, and Thanks
    Special thanks to many friends who offered continuing help, encouragement and support, sometimes at just the right time.

Artists I used for direct inspiration:
    Nomico's A2 floors
    Nyanko Temple's A1 tile edits

TileA1 Credits and Terms: Non-Commercial Use Only - Credit Enterbrain, GrandmaDeb (edit from Ace RTP)

TileA2 Credits and Terms: Non-Commercial Use Only - Credit CyangMou, TerraChan, Candacis, IceDragon, GrandmaDeb, Enterbrain
    CyangMou's original grass, with flowers, fence, shade/dirty effects
    TerraChan's bog and long grass RTP edits
    Candacis' fence
    IceDragon's grey stone streets
    Filled in with Mack and RTP - if you need a set without EB credit, let me know.

TileA3 Credits and Terms: Non-Commercial Use Only - GrandmaDeb
    with thanks to many community members for encouragement, support, and C&C
    If you seriously want to go commercial with my tiles, PM me. But really, get Cel's and Lunarea's stuff.

TileA4 Credits and Terms: Non-Commercial Use Only - GrandmaDeb (except top left three roof RTP edits cr enterbrain)
    with thanks to many community members for encouragement, support, and C&C
    If you seriously want to go commercial with my tiles, PM me. But really, get Cel's and Lunarea's stuff.

TileA5 Credits and Terms: Non-Commercial Use Only - Aindra, GrandmaDeb (only for steps edits)
    GrandmaDeb's ModernExterior TileSet

TileA1

[​IMG]

TileA2

[​IMG]

TileA3

[​IMG]

TileA4

[​IMG]

TileA5

[​IMG]

TileB
    Credit IceDragon, Lizzy, CardboardWarehouse, Ying, EB (links below)
    My other TileB stuff is in heavy editing right now. =]

[​IMG]

For TileC and TileD use PandaMaru's Street tiles with decor as desired added in the open slots
    (you will want more good windows in there)
    For TileE use Candacis' presets or Asato's Vehicles (if you want to use them for mapping not events)
    In characters folder add Lunarea's and Celianna's doors, as well as ~RYU~'s lights.

ADDITIONAL MATERIALS

Windows:
    Candacis' Fantasy Windows
    Celianna's TileC has ten great windows
    Leila's Modern Exteriors TileB windows
    Nomico's two super windows
    Asato's Old towne windows and large exterior windows with flower boxes (doesn't fit in all walls very well)
    Lizzy - choose "map" for windows
    Crazy Leen's VXAce Windows
    Lunarea has windows under Simple town, market town and blue town

Doors:
    Celianna's Doors
    Lunarea's Door
    Ayene's Two tile high doos
    Caitlyn's industrial Doors (under free only characters)
    Bougainvillea's modern elevator and suburban doors (second set of links, image 1 and 6)
    Kazzador's one and a half tile high edits of RTP doors
    ~RYU~'s modern doors
    RTP and Mack edits of One and a half tile Modern Doors

Tile A1, A2, A3, A4
    PandaMaru's A2 roads
    Nomico's temple's A3 brick wall, and monument wall
    Liberty's Brick and Monument/Bank wall RTP edits
    Leila's Modern Exteriors TileA2,A3,A4,A5
    Painhurt's selection of Mack and RTP TileA3 edits and source list
    Kururumilk's Modern Streets and Signs

Roofs:
    Candacis' Mack Roof Edits
    junkHunt roof generator (use rooves 2,5,9 and 10 - be sure ten looks like aluminum not wood!)

Other Exterior Accents:
    PandaMaru's playground, signs, (unanimated) doors, preset bank, and two nearly full sheets of street decor (signs, fire hydrant, lovely street lamps)
    Ayene's playground pieces
    Leila's Shop Signs (one for Granny's Shop! You can sell ceramic "tiles" get it?? haha) and Leila's Modern Exteriors TileB - shop windows, exterior windows, dumpster, trees, flower boxes,(planters) street signs, streetlights, cafe table
    Nomico's Industrial barrels
    IceDragon's industrial fans
    Kalez' industrial fans with wind graphics
    Caitlyn has neon signs and more doors (and some possible garage doors) under characters
    Cardboard Warehouse small round accents
    Lizzy - choose "map" for hanging baskets, bird baths flower barrels
    QuizzicalGin's lovely wooden bench (look at the bottom of the hospital edits)

Lunarea's Signs in market add-ons

Syrubis' Signs (look most modern heavily desaturated)

Modern Exterior Vehicles for RPG Maker VX/Ace: Mini sections of the Modern and Futuristic Resources List

Also:
    X-Hawks's Industrial Floors and Windows
    ~RYU~'s Industrial metal stairs and towers
    ~RYU~'s city trees
    ~RYU~'s modern lights
    Hira's extensive pixel style modern resources with plenty of presets and mpre vx-style materials as well extesive modern street and commercial signs, A5 tiles, modern windows and walls
    Asato's continuing Modern Collection
    Apapapan's small crates and access doors to use on roofs
    Granny's Signs

Special Help from Candacis - Presets with her loveley Mack roof edits

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  2. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great work! Now all we need is a spiffy sample screenshot to show off the work.

GrandmaDeb and PixelHeart like this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Congratulations on getting this out, and then going the extra mile with that long list of links - many thanks.

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  4. tearsofthenight

tearsofthenight Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow this is exactly what i need for my horror game! Thanks Grandma! Your a life saver!

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They look fantastic! I'm so excited for you. Might have to give them a try tonight.

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah, congratulations on getting these done Granny!  You did a wonderful job, I'm really happy to see these out and ready to be used.

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  7. GrandmaDeb

Screenies added in an unsure kind of way...

(Images posted with disclaimer that you really should be using other people's windows and doors, for sure.)

This is just my bare-bones stuff - Residential area with just a touch of Lizzy and Ying's trees, Panda's lights and road signs. (with shared A2 tile - Candacis' fence, etc.)

[​IMG]

High rise and Olde Towne Modern Commercial Exteriors including suggested resources

[​IMG]

Posting the compilation of edits and such used in the set by artists who allowed reposting:

[​IMG]

Credit IceDragon, Lizzy, CardboardWarehouse, Ying, EB

Of course you need Cel and Lunarea's stuff (notably doors and windows), as well as Panda's street things and some other goodies linked above.

Thanks for the encouragement folks. I am fairly terrified.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
    Tuxedo Leila likes this.
  8. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Amazing compilation and very useful links, too. Found some nice things that I didn't know before :)   Thank you for doing this!

Your mapping has really improved, too. I also like the walls und roofs you did, especially in A4. They are a bit dark overall, but some nice ideas here, very fitting for modern exteriors!
    My favorite is the wall on A4, second row, second column, the one with the red bricks and white border. Looove it. And I like the corrugated metal effect of the walls, last row on the right, the grey and yellow one, very creative and very cool effect (I'm working on walls/roofs myself right now and wanted to achieve something like this and totally failed, so kudos).

I think, you could improve some of the walls/roofs, maybe brighten it up here and there. Some (a lot in A3) are missing a shadow on the top where the wall meets the roof which makes some of the roofs look flat. You know, a little shadow, more darker where the border to the roof is and getting lighter further down (like a small gradient), like you have with the metal stripe walls in A4 or A4 top row on the right. Just add this shadow to the other walls and see how it looks. And some walls need a better border on the sides, especially the brick walls in A3.
    I like your windows, too. Much improved after the first looks in the WIP section!

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  9. GrandmaDeb

:D Thanks! This Modern Exterior tile project has been way out of my league, but I have enjoyed it.

I just felt like I had to get this stuff "out there" and off my hard drive, even though I know it is still in need of tweaking (um, a LOT of tweaking!) But thanks so much for the specific feedback.

I had intended to put the shadows on when I added the gutters, and then wasn't happy with the gutters, and ended up forgetting them! Argh! But good catch, thanks.

Added some signs:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
    mlogan and Tuxedo Leila like this.
  10. Kaesydian

Kaesydian Neophyte Member

First Language:
    English
    These are really nice. 

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  11. GrandmaDeb

I keep editing and editing. I am not sure this is good. :/

Anyways, I am working on some shutters and windows that look like this:

[​IMG]

and have completed some one and a half tile doors for more choices.

Save them with an ! in front of the filename.

Here are some Mack edits for Modern Exterior Doors for RPG maker VX Ace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some RTP edits - I started with Kazzador's one and a half tile RTP edits and went from there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And another RTP edit

[​IMG]

Tuxedo Leila, mlogan and Sharm like this.
  12. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nice shutters. Only one thing bothers me: when you close them, some windows only have one half covered?

I think your double windows need a space between them to show the shutters, thus making the top-left&top-right houses slightly larger to fit them properly.

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  13. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The gap doesn't bother me at all.  Around here shutters are purely decorative so most shutters don't look like they'd protect anything.

Some of those recolors have lost the contrast the others have, especially the red doors.  Over all a very nice job Granny!  I'm glad you're still working on it.

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  14. GrandmaDeb

Edited the doors a wee bit. The panels were too vague in the recolors, somehow.

Maybe now they are too pronounced in the opened doors. Bleh. Anyways, better on the map.

New Modern Exterior Doors for RPG maker VX Ace

[​IMG]

old in spoiler

[​IMG]
    new

[​IMG]

old in spoiler

[​IMG]

Tuxedo Leila and cabfe like this.
  15. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah, yes, that's what I meant by lacking contrast.  Nice fix, thanks Granny!

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  16. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Good job on the new contrast. The old ones were a little too bright, now it's just right.

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  17. GrandmaDeb

I must have seen this is my subconscious mind, lol. Somehow it was bugging me at 5 am this morning.

haha Thanks!

Any more subliminal suggestions for me?

Clean the house? Wipe the fridge? Fold the laundry? =]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
  18. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hah, that's funny. I give you the subliminal suggestion to be happy and feel loved. ^_^

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  19. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Very nice! ;-)... And why shouldn't non-commercial not also have their special tiles that aren't available for commercial releases... thank you for this cool set!

20. GrandmaDeb

Signs - add with !$ in front =]

Couldn't decide on what color so I picked my fav.

Lunarea has great wooden signs linked in list above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kes likes this.