Flame Retardant

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There have been a few places where I've had trouble selecting a specific area of an image for a graphic. It seems like the software has the ability to handle this to some degree, as shown by how it picks out specific frames from an image of 12 different options for the character sprites. However, it's not always very helpful:
Once, I imported a character's face portrait from Character Hub and when I went to change an actor's portrait over to the imported image, it was apparently too large and cut off the right and lower sides, making the thing look askew. It would not let me choose the frame myself. Now I'm trying to flip a sprite sideways to give the impression of lying down, but when I try to set it as the graphic for the event, it will only grab a small portion of the sprite. And I mean a really small portion. Smaller than most of the sprites available to the tilesets. Can anyone give me any tips on how to resolve these issues?

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There have been a few places where I've had trouble selecting a specific area of an image for a graphic. It seems like the software has the ability to handle this to some degree, as shown by how it picks out specific frames from an image of 12 different options for the character sprites. However, it's not always very helpful:
Once, I imported a character's face portrait from Character Hub and when I went to change an actor's portrait over to the imported image, it was apparently too large and cut off the right and lower sides, making the thing look askew. It would not let me choose the frame myself. Now I'm trying to flip a sprite sideways to give the impression of lying down, but when I try to set it as the graphic for the event, it will only grab a small portion of the sprite. And I mean a really small portion. Smaller than most of the sprites available to the tilesets. Can anyone give me any tips on how to resolve these issues?
There are templates available in the resources section - you can use them as a guide to ensure you're not stepping out of the lines. Sometimes resizing assets causes a 1px size difference (it's super annoying but easy to fix).

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You need to change the size of your canvas. For instance, if I have a sprite sheet and a character that is 2x wider, 1x taller than the original, I would increase the canvas width by 2x. (sprite sheet is 12 characters by 48 pixels wide = 576. to double the WIDTH selection size of the box you would change that to 1152.) (if you wanted to double the HEIGHT of the selection box you would use the default hight (384) and double it (768) If you did both of these things it would give you a selection box of 96x96 instead of 48x48.

This is for sprite sheets, but the principle applies to other sheets as well. (just different default sizes) You can do this as incrementally as one pixel if you wish, for fine tuned positioning.

At least that's how I get odd sized things to work, haha. (I say this assuming you don't want to change the size of the graphic your referring to)

Edit: oops, ignore the default sizes, I thought you were referring to MV! I bet the principle still applies though.

Last edited:

Latest Profile Posts

It's been a while since i posted so here's something i've been working on.
Game_Mockup7_6.png
Engine: RPG Maker VX Ace

I've decided to stop buying candy in supermarket and bulk buy 4.5kg of candy. The disadvantage of that is, now I eat a lot of candy. -_-
Microsoft has consumed Activision Blizzard. Makes me wonder if they're gonna make Blizzard Blizzard again.
HexMozart88 wrote on AphoticAmaranth's profile.
Your profile pic's face is my current mood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dignus93