[-Graphics-] How to make a Battle Background, Using Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.net ect.

Discussion in 'Non-Maker Specific Tutorials' started by The JJ, Jul 21, 2012.

1. The JJ

The JJ Black Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just to let you know, This is my old tutorial I used on rpgmakervx.net. Here is the topic:

http://www.rpgmakerv...topic=38637&hl=

Even though it was made for RPG Maker VX, It still can be used for RMVXA.

Battle Background Tutorial

Learn how to make Battle Backgrounds with this tutorial.

This is my first tutorial so sorry if it isn't much detail, I've tried to do this in much detail than I can. I wouldn't say I'm "Great" but I just wanted to

make a tutorial. So here it goes.

Okay first of all you'll need this:

A Graphics program, I wouldn't advise to use Paint as well, It's nearly impossible to do it with paint.

Some tilesets and mapping resources

Pictures (Light beams, Clouds, forest leaves, Ect)

The finished result

[​IMG]

Tutorial in spoiler

First of all, Make the map 18x14.
    [​IMG]

Okay, After that make a map, Fill it with any type of grass you're going to chose. I am using green forest grass, You can use desert, beach or snow.

[​IMG]

:p , But I'm sure you're better).

Now that You've added grass, Add your tall grass. (I am terrible when doing tall grass

[​IMG]

Now that you've added the tall grass, It's time for a path and some flowers and floor objects. Looks plain so far, right? This isn't the finished result.

[​IMG]

Great, Now add your mountain, It gives it more of a "2.5d" feeling (Not sure if that's the right word, But you know what I mean, right?). Add some mountain

details such as flowers and vines. Don't over do it, Add some flowers on the grass as the mountains could have gone over it.

[​IMG]

Now this is the part you need to focus on, Screenshot it and paste it to a graphics program such as Photoshop (Which I am using).

After you've done that, Skew it. Do this by going to Edit>Transform>Skew. Click on it and then pull the left edge and right edge one at a time to give it a

Mode 3D effect.

[​IMG]

It should look like the picture below. If you feel it's blurry, sharpen it, but not too much or else it'll ruin it.

[​IMG]

Now it's time to add tree's, You can add RTP tree's by exporting it from the programs itself. You can also use RPG XP tree's, Look around the forums for some. As for me

http://www.rpgmakerv...showtopic=34852 . Put the tree's in good places, Better than mine. Make sure that

I am using Lunarea's. You can get it from here.

the big tree's are not all close together and don't over do it. I'd have around 3-5 big tree's if I were you. Use the same tree's you use in your game or else when people play

your game, they'll be wondering "Wait? There isn't any XP tree's in the maps". Also mind the shadows below the tree.

[​IMG]

Does it look good? Make sure it does. Anyway. Time for some colours and pictures. Add the lightbeam and change it to 'Screen' around 30% occupacity. As for the clouds (or leaves ect), Leave them on 'Screen' only. If you want, add gradients to map the tints of your game. Play around with it, This part is your choice.

[​IMG]

And there is the end result! Remember that you can do it with any tilesets for example, Mack.

[​IMG]

or you can use pictures if you don't want to use mountains or want to make your map flat.

Sadly my sample of using a picture is on my old laptop, I'll upload it sometime soon but just cut

out the mountain and add a random picture from google to match the theme.

I hope you actually learnt something from this tutorial, I wouldn't say I'm the best battle background designer on this forums but

I wanted to make a tutorial so that's all.

2. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not a bad tutorial, if I must say so myself. I prefer to use this style to make up-close, front view battle background, but you really do set out a quick and fairly easy way to make a very nice looking background. And the customization options are limitless with this kind of background, so I think this tut will really help alot of people. Thank you for sharing this with us.

3. gruberik

gruberik Vein of Stars Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So simple and easy! I have never been a huge fan of the default battleback looks in RMVXA so this is definitely something I will try to do. Thanks.

4. chigoo

chigoo Void Walker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hello, I was wondering if I can turn this tutorial into a video tutorial, giving credit for the tutorial ofc?

5. Sadirat

Sadirat Vivid Member Member

First Language:
    Norwegian
    This looks really interesting,I might use these for my game(s).

Personally I like this better than the RTP Battlebacks. Thanks for this tutorial it's very useful!

6. PlsDontAbductMe

PlsDontAbductMe Villager Member

First Language:
    Engrish
    Don't mean to necro but since I have a question, how would I go about getting a close up picture like you do, or do you just crop it?

7. The JJ

The JJ Black Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well I make my maps in game to be 18 width & 14 height, then I print screen it and paste it on Photoshop and crop the map and that pretty much fits the dimensions of a battle background as long as you create your backgrounds with those rmvx dimensions then It should look zoomed in. I hope this made sense... :S

@Chigoo: Sorry for the late reply, not been on for ages and sure you can.

8. ravrax

ravrax lvl 99.99 Knight Member

First Language:
    English
    Good job with the tutorial! 

I just wanted to ask how you made the XP rtp trees have the same leaves/trunk color and art-style as VX rtp trees?

I think that the XP trees blend in very well now because of that. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2013