Graphics loading off center? Running vx ace through wine

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Anwor, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Anwor

Anwor Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm using Wine to run vx ace on my Mac. I used to do this years ago with a different Mac and never had this problem, but since I've redownloaded rpg maker the graphics have been loading off center. I'll attach a screen shot.

I don't have a lot of computer knowledge and have no idea what the problem is or how to go about fixing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 9.33.51 PM.png

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    that is most likely a problem of the display driver in wine.
    why are you using wine at all? is your Mac too old to use bootcamp for a real windows?

3. Anwor

Anwor Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's a pretty recent Mac, but as I said I'm a bit of a computer dunce, so I only knew about wine until right now. I used to use a much older Mac desktop and switched to a laptop pretty recently. Wouldn't be surprised if wine only worked better with the old machine. Thanks for the help.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    bootcamp allows you to run windows itself on the modern macs (they need to have an intel processor, but any mac newer than the G-series has one, they were introduced five or ten years ago).

you need a windows licence (usually 10$ on ebay, especially for older ones) and to set aside part of a harddrive for windows (5-10 GB are enough unless you want to play the really big games) but then you can play any windows program directly on your mac.

alternatively you might want to consider switching to RMMV instead of Ace, that has a native MacOS editor. Unfortunately the transfer from VXA to MV only works for default elements, anything scripted will fail and you might need to resize your graphics if they are not default.