BishoujoHelper

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Planning on downloading RMMV trial very soon, wanted to plan out what I'm doing first so I have as much time as possible to work in the 20 days. First project will be my (third) conversion of the freeware "Bard's Lore" adventure for The Bard's Tale Construction Set (BTCS). Have done it before, sort of successfully for Devil Whiskey, and again for Sword Coast Legends. I'm sure getting used to another RPG maker will be a challenge, but a conversion means things like maps and monsters are already designed and all I have to do is data entry then swapping subsystems to get it to work like BTCS. This probably won't even be released publicly unless it works out really well; I appreciate that your first RPG is going to be quite awful.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
welcome

and just for your info: on the eventing and database levels, there is no difference between Ace and MV - the differences only start when using plugins or script calls (completely different).

If you haven't worked with the RPG-Makers before, you can use steam to download Ace Lite (which is object-limited but has no time limit and is therefore good for learning before purchasing).

Guiguimu

Walking Disaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi and Welcome!
I agree with Andar, try Lite version first. Ace was the first one I tried, and the one I fell in love with. Sure, Ace Lite has it's limits, but to learn the program it's your best tool. Then, when you feel more confident, download the trial version of MV if you still feel the same way after Ace.
Hope you have fun and learn a lot with us!

BishoujoHelper

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I went and downloaded the Ace Lite and ran into the object limits pretty quickly while still dumping in the known items and monsters. So switched over to MV, only had to re-generate one map. I'm going to stick with MV mostly because I prepped for it by upping my Javascript knowledge (had some from doing simple scripts for my geocities site years ago) and didn't want to confuse myself with Ruby.
While I get antsy because the clock is ticking on the MV trial, I'm alternating putting in expanded versions of the maps - because BTCS had a max of 22 by 22 but walls were "free" - and going through tutorials like the Tutorial Town series (although it is for VX Ace). Finding that some specials in BTCS are easy, like setting up quests, shops, temples, dialogues. Others I have to defer with comments, like fighting the stereotypical 4 groups of 99 Skeletons, because stats/equipment/combat/skills/spells work very differently than stock RPG Maker. The further I go, the more I realize that the guy who wrote the original in 1997 was OK at programming, but the game was either impossibly tough or he didn't play balance it - and I got through games of that ilk before then.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

If you're an artist of illustrations, you're doing fine.
If you're an artist of writing, you're doing fine.
If you're an artist of programming, you're doing fine.
But if you are all three above (and more) you cannot allow any distractions in your life.
Anyone had school furniture?
After working out some initial confusion, I managed to get Yanfly's Improved Battlebacks successfully working on a test battle, changing the battleback and getting it to scroll during combat. This means that I can have graphically dynamic battles on moving platforms, like the roof of a train or the deck of a ship/airship...
Place Events Like Tiles Through Replacement, & Take Notes Free Form | RPG Maker News #41

the singularity is upon us:
1621133810311.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteTruffle