Greetings & Salutations

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by synchronicity, Jan 1, 2019.

1. synchronicity

synchronicity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi there, everyone!

I figured I should go ahead and make an introduction post since I just got RPG Maker MV over the Christmas break. I played a little with the RPG Maker XP demo in the past but never really went further than that. To be honest, I still preferred the art style used in that RPG Maker, but I thought I'd give MV a chance. I played a game that was made I believe in RPG Maker VX and it really changed how I looked at the graphics for the engine as a whole (in a good way) so really it's all about what you do with it, I guess. I don't have a concrete game idea formed yet, but if I get to that point I'm sure I'll make a thread for it. Right now I'm mostly just playing around with it and writing down ideas as they come to me.

Anyway, as for me personally, I live in rural country with satellite internet (better than dial-up, which is my current alternative, but still has nothing on proper highspeed) and work in a small town library as the tech librarian which is just a fancy way of saying I help people figure out how to use the devices their kids get them for Christmas, run the sound system for events, and I do basic tech maintenance on our own devices at work to keep us from having to always call in our proper IT. Since it's a small town library, though, I also get to do regular library stuff and a variety of different tasks, which is cool. Sadly do not get paid to read, but sometimes on quiet days I cheat and listen to audiobooks on my iPod while doing mundane and repetitive tasks.

I like walking my dog, reading, binge watching TV series, and playing video games. I can never play just one at a time, I'm really bad for that, so right now I'm playing Far Cry 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Trails in the Sky: The Second Chapter, and Trails of Cold Steel II. Despite how that sounds, I swear I'm not gaming all day lmao. The first two games I got for Christmas, and since I'm on holiday I've been playing them, but ordinarily I only play my PS4 on days I'm off work. The last two games I've been playing on my laptop, which I sometimes will play after work through the week, but Trails of Cold Steel II I've kind of put on hold for a bit because the third game won't be out on PC in English for a while and I know those games have evil cliffhangers.

Annnnnd if that's not enough of an introduction, I don't know what is, lol. Hi!

2. Grunwave

Grunwave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Welcome aboard. What do you think your strengths/weaknesses will be in designing your game?

BadLittleSeed likes this.
  3. Kawers

Kawers Ripping off Final Fantasy with Industrial Aplomb Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi! I hope you find you enjoy using RM as much as I did!

This is a really helpful community with lots of resources and inspiration. Have fun!

4. synchronicity

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks! :) Strengths would probably be writing and general eventing, possibly map creation once I get playing with it. I do story/character analysis for fun and dialogue was always my strong suit in writing as far as stories go, so game creation works great for that because it's (mostly) script format. Anything with regular graphic design would probably be a strength too, since I've been playing with photoshop for years.

Weaknesses would be anything involving pixel art and programming. I can recolour things and do overlays, but I can't really do pixel art from scratch and as for programming, I've never really learned it so I'd be starting from the bottom there. Fortunately, there's a lot of resources out there from people far more skilled than I, lmao. I know enough about programming to have a basic understanding of script when I'm reading it, just not enough to be able to do it from scratch myself.

To start with, I'm probably going to just focus on making some maps that I may or may not use in my game, which will give me practice with mapping and possibly give me ideas to add to the story I've got building in my head. And then I'll probably start working more on the script itself and go from there.

I'm sure I will! I really enjoyed RMXP when I dabbled with it, I probably would have stuck with it but it was a rough period in my life at the time so I just didn't have the energy or inspiration to do more than experiment with it. I'm in a much more creative frame of mind now and the urge to play at game making has been hounding me for a few months, so I decided it was time to get RMMV. :) (I actually was contemplating visual novels for a while, but I'm no artist, haha. RPG Maker is a much easier way to get the story across when you're not an artist yourself.)

I've already been going through the forum here for some of the resources and omg, people are so talented, lol. I don't know how the pixel artists in particular do it, I tried to follow a beginner's pixel art tutorial and just didn't have the patience for it. Mind you that was a few years ago, maybe some day I'll give it another go. :p

BadLittleSeed and Kawers like this.
  5. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welcome! You'll like it here. Pleasant good day an nice to meet ya.

Ps: you get my 200th message. No prizes though.

6. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @synchronicity, welcome the community and people here understand that making is actually difficult. I hope to see your ideas came to life.

7. synchronicity

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am both honored and disappointed :p jk. Nice to meet you too!

I hope to see them come to life too! :guffaw: I actually have been chipping away at a possible game storyline the last few days and figured out the beginning of a game at least, so if nothing else I may practice with a prologue to a game. We'll see! It'll be fun to play with anyway.

BadLittleSeed and samkfj like this.
  8. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    welcome and have fun!

9. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello and welcome!

Cute pics of you and your dog in one of the other threads, by the way!

Exactly! That's the great thing about a community like this. There are several really good pixel art packs in the RM store... the Time Fantasy sets, the Pop! sets, and the Pixel Myth set are all really good. And there are tons of talented scripters here that have developed useful plug-ins for the different RM engines (though you don't really need them). One of the things I like about RM is that I don't have to do any programming to make a game. I can just focus on the creative aspects of game development (story, art, mapping, etc).

BadLittleSeed and Finnuval like this.
  10. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi there! Please do consider sending any unwanted/unnecessary NPCs in the direction of that convenient 'man-eating plant' chute. :thumbsup-right::D:thumbsup-left:

samkfj likes this.