ScoopJohn

The guy who asks too many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was trying to start into using GTBS v2.4 but as soon i started looking for a tutorial on how to install it, the site that hosted the documentation is down, and i can't find any backup pages of it. Considering i had the GTBS demo for like years and never started using it, it makes me worried that i cannot start using it anymore.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I believe I have an old copy.
it should be as I downloaded it from their site, but I have no manuals for it, you'll have to do some digging.
I spoke with GubiD some time ago, about some updates I did to the script, for my game, but he never got back to me.
When I went to check the website, it was down, so it has been down for a while..... I figured he was moving to another server.

here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f5amricubvlh3v/GTBSv2_4_LMEv2_0.exe?dl=0

self-extracting EXE, includes the Layy Meta engine for basic 3D, and a demo level.
if you want the 3D editor, let me know.

Last edited:

ScoopJohn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I believe I have an old copy.
it should be as I downloaded it from their site, but I have no manuals for it, you'll have to do some digging.
I spoke with GubiD some time ago, about some updates I did to the script, for my game, but he never got back to me.
When I went to check the website, it was down, so it has been down for a while..... I figured he was moving to another server.

here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f5amricubvlh3v/GTBSv2_4_LMEv2_0.exe?dl=0

self-extracting EXE, includes the Layy Meta engine for basic 3D, and a demo level.
if you want the 3D editor, let me know.
I already have the demo files like i've said, but i can't find a backed up documentation. :/

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
well, from my end, what I can tell you is that the AI system is kinda broken.
I had to write a new AI routine to account for new behaviors and conditions, but you might make it work with what comes with the system if you build it around it and not try to adapt it to something else (I had my system already defined and had to adapt GubiD's)
another thing that was broken (for which I got a fix) was the projectile system.... it wasn't working in the initial release.

another thing that is broken(ish) is the status window of the battle scene, it's badly set up to refresh, and it refreshes constantly sucking up a lot of processing power. I rewrote some aspects of it making it work around progress bar *objects* rather than refreshing the whole thing.
It works, but it needs to be re-wired to update only on target change, and not constantly at every frame

everything else, pretty much works.
you can create a new game from scratch using that system, and even add to it if you study it.

if you won't use the 3D add-on, work on separating it from GubiD's system early on, otherwise you'll have to fix duplicated scripts everywhere

ScoopJohn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
well, from my end, what I can tell you is that the AI system is kinda broken.
I had to write a new AI routine to account for new behaviors and conditions, but you might make it work with what comes with the system if you build it around it and not try to adapt it to something else (I had my system already defined and had to adapt GubiD's)
another thing that was broken (for which I got a fix) was the projectile system.... it wasn't working in the initial release.

another thing that is broken(ish) is the status window of the battle scene, it's badly set up to refresh, and it refreshes constantly sucking up a lot of processing power. I rewrote some aspects of it making it work around progress bar *objects* rather than refreshing the whole thing.
It works, but it needs to be re-wired to update only on target change, and not constantly at every frame

everything else, pretty much works.
you can create a new game from scratch using that system, and even add to it if you study it.

if you won't use the 3D add-on, work on separating it from GubiD's system early on, otherwise you'll have to fix duplicated scripts everywhere
I was planning to use the TSBS to work on a Super Robot Wars-styled game on VX Ace (when nobody ever did something like that), and no, i obviously don't like using the 3d addon. Long live retro.

Wait...AI broken...? bad luck for me, there was another TBS engine called Ra TBS but that one is in alpha And now there aren't any more TBS engines for VX Ace. The sad thing is that i don't believe a tactical battle system with FE/SRW styled battle animations exist around the RPG Maker RGSS series (XP, VX and VX Ace)... .________.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
the AI worked by taking the available movement range, and calculating possible actions for every single position, considering all the modifiers applied to a character: range, speed, probability of using this or that tactic, chance of landing a hit, effect of every possible skill available... etc.
imagine that for a battle of 6 vs 6, each playable character having a set of 20+ skills to choose from, and movement ranges in the range of 6 or 7 squares in radius, .......... that's a lot of calculations.

what I did was to make it first look at the character's own tactic (attack, support, ambush, etc... including custom state effects such as confused, charmed, frightened, etc...), and with that tactic pick possible targets (usually, a selection of enemies in range, or *that one enemy who is holding back*, or *that one enemy who is doing damage*), and of those targets pick the most available/exposed/vulnerable/endangered.
once the target of the action is decided, the target square for the character's movement is decided by overlaying the sum of all the friendly characters ranges, with all the enemy characters ranges, and picking the one less affected by the enemy (usually, the square right in front of the enemy, as far away as possible from other enemies).
also, I modified the range calculations to make the ranges circular as opposed to rhomboidal as they were initially.

that cut the calculations down from a minute to a fraction of a second.
because, all the calculations are done by comparing batches of selections, and not sequentially one by one :D

ScoopJohn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
the AI worked by taking the available movement range, and calculating possible actions for every single position, considering all the modifiers applied to a character: range, speed, probability of using this or that tactic, chance of landing a hit, effect of every possible skill available... etc.
imagine that for a battle of 6 vs 6, each playable character having a set of 20+ skills to choose from, and movement ranges in the range of 6 or 7 squares in radius, .......... that's a lot of calculations.

what I did was to make it first look at the character's own tactic (attack, support, ambush, etc... including custom state effects such as confused, charmed, frightened, etc...), and with that tactic pick possible targets (usually, a selection of enemies in range, or *that one enemy who is holding back*, or *that one enemy who is doing damage*), and of those targets pick the most available/exposed/vulnerable/endangered.
once the target of the action is decided, the target square for the character's movement is decided by overlaying the sum of all the friendly characters ranges, with all the enemy characters ranges, and picking the one less affected by the enemy (usually, the square right in front of the enemy, as far away as possible from other enemies).
also, I modified the range calculations to make the ranges circular as opposed to rhomboidal as they were initially.

that cut the calculations down from a minute to a fraction of a second.
because, all the calculations are done by comparing batches of selections, and not sequentially one by one :D
So you do... um... have the AI fixes? I also need a documentation if you had it saved up somewhere

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
yes, but they're custom made for my game.
I can tell you how to achieve something similar, but that will depend on what parts of the system you will use or not.
at the very core, it's something really simple, just comparison of selected lots of variables.
I set it so that in order to act, a character will need a position, a target and a skill.
what determines the selection of position/target/skill? -> the current state of the battlefield.
as simple as that.

ScoopJohn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
yes, but they're custom made for my game.
I can tell you how to achieve something similar, but that will depend on what parts of the system you will use or not.
at the very core, it's something really simple, just comparison of selected lots of variables.
I set it so that in order to act, a character will need a position, a target and a skill.
what determines the selection of position/target/skill? -> the current state of the battlefield.
as simple as that.
As long i need that documentation from the GTBS site it was taken down i can do that.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I believe I downloaded a few pages from Gubid's website, let me dig for them and get back to you.
either way, I myself didn't rely much on the website's documentation because it was close to non-existent... most of what I learned about the system, I taught myself.
download the file that I uploaded, which does come with comments and annotations for the customizable parts, ... that's what I learned from.

ScoopJohn

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I believe I downloaded a few pages from Gubid's website, let me dig for them and get back to you.
either way, I myself didn't rely much on the website's documentation because it was close to non-existent... most of what I learned about the system, I taught myself.
download the file that I uploaded, which does come with comments and annotations for the customizable parts, ... that's what I learned from.
Hope they are the stuff that explain how to install the script AND some basic functions..

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
alas, the search for the files turned out empty.
I must have deleted them thinking the website was still up.

I'm still up for whatever you need, drop me a pm if you have further questions

J_F_Tuxxy

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

J_F_Tuxxy, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"If the lion knew her own strength, hard were it for anyone to rule her". This would be my custom title if I had enough spaces for it. Coming off of personal pain, I'm glad I found the original quote I've tweaked.
Today I found out that ladybirds\ladybugs are apparently named for the Virgin Mary. They're also known as God's cows in some places.
J0pac wrote on CrowStorm's profile.
The sad reaction was not because I want you to credit me. (terms clearly say no need to credit) but because those maps are meant to be used as inspiration or guidence. You are ofcourse alowed to use them however you want :)
I'm an adult married woman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macblink