Guest Contributors

Discussion in 'Resource Staff Releases' started by Archeia, Feb 8, 2013.

1. inazumathelightning

inazumathelightning The Pixel prince

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ok thank you very much!

2. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games

First Language:
    English
    Could I still submit Ace resources for restaff? Or are you looking for MV only at this point?

Also, something else I've been wondering - could anyone who legally owns a DLC submit resources they've created in that DLCs style for restaff (e.g. submitting stuff created in the DS+ style)? Or is that restricted to resource pack creators/non-guest restaff members?

Lars Ulrika likes this.
  3. Caz

Caz Green Eyes Blonde Dragon

First Language:
    English
    Resources for any RPGMaker published by Degica are okay to submit! 

We ask that anyone who USES the resources provided is responsible for the licenses that they own. Ergo, if a person uses a DS+ style resource for their game but does not own the DS+ license, that would technically be illegal use. Provided the creator owns the rights to the DLC and states that it's intended for use with that style, it's fine.  :rhappy:

JackCL and Idril like this.
  4. Vanessa

Vanessa Jack of all trades, Master of none

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is lovely!
    I should check forum more often.. there's so many interesting thread X) 

5. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    My inquiry is about the Character Generator for VX Ace.

I've wanted to create makeup and tattoos for the facesets, as well as add extra emotions (among other things).

I'm curious as to if this would be acceptable as a ReStaff release?

feckyeslife likes this.
  6. DaveyBriteRPG

DaveyBriteRPG Music Producer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have over 50 free soundtracks available for download, but I will compile them for restaff, so everybody gets a chance to use them ^^

So I've just sent a message to Archea, hopefully the first pack gets approved! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
    Guiguimu and Marquise* like this.
  7. umbralshadows

umbralshadows the silks angel

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is this still an open thing yo? Cuzz I won't mind making stuff for it.

8. DaveyBriteRPG

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My PM and my Posts were not answered so i'd assume not :\

9. Caz

First Language:
    English
    Apologies, I haven't received any PMs if they were sent and I haven't checked this board in a while, but ReStaff isn't currently active sorry!

Marquise* likes this.
  10. umbralshadows

umbralshadows the silks angel

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hope it opens again cuzz it looks fun an useful for everyone.

Marquise* likes this.
  11. Vanyar

Vanyar Villager

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wouldn't it be possible for someone else to take over the ReStaff? The person would just need to know how to do this whole ReStaff thing. That way it could be revived and I think a bunch of people would be happy about it ^^

Marquise* likes this.
  12. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's not quite the same as Restaff, but we have a RM.Coaliton pack coming out soon with some basic stuff. Not sure what all you are looking for, but we have a previous Restaff member on the team and are hoping to recruit more in the future, so if you are looking for something specific, feel free to visit our thread (RM button in my sig).

On that note though, Restaff really is missed. It always had wonderful stuff each month!

13. Caz

First Language:
    English
    It's definitely a possibility to bring back ReStaff if the right person is willing to organise it each month! I have thought about it a few times but it sadly hasn't been ideal with my schedule this year. :ysad:

There are other issues with the whole thing as well though, such as recruiting quality contributors to bring in ReStaff-specific resources each month, accommodating their schedules and workloads, etc.

The other big issue that I and a few others had with ReStaff was the lack of interest. The download counts were decent but the contributors weren't getting a lot of quality feedback from forum members, leaving a lot of people feeling as though their work wasn't being appreciated properly. Especially since those same ReStaffers were at a skill level where their time could easily go towards earning money instead, it seemed pointless to work for free and get nothing in return.

Lastly, the other OTHER issue I can see, ReStaff could have actually been detracting from RMW's sales by providing similar alternatives for free. I'm not saying that it's not a good idea to give out free stuff from time to time, and of course, not everyone can afford to purchase resource packs, but I know how much work people put into releasing their own pack on the store and how it must be such a kick in the teeth to have no one buy it because there are cheaper alternatives.

Truthfully, with all of that said, I would love to keep doing free resources for the community because I know how much of a struggle it can be to make a game with limited resources, especially if you're not skilled enough to make your own. But there are a lot of things to think about if it were to be brought back.

Dalph, Joy Diamond and Kes like this.
  14. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Staff Member

I just wanted to mention this as a possibility, but if there's an interest in releasing content without necessarily making it a monthly/regular thing, we could try to work it into being a part of a community event. For example, we could consider a special game-making jam where the participants would need to use provided ReStaff material. Or we could coordinate a release at the start of a winter/summer holiday.

We don't necessarily have something happening every single month, but a few times per year is definitely doable.

If there's anything I can do to help or accommodate you, feel free to pm me! :)

15. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    So if I were to summarize why we had to pause ReStaff:
    • Every time there's a DLC pack and we kept being told there's "Free alternatives" then why should we make free alternatives if it affects the livelihood of the artists involved? Not everyone does this however and we're always glad for people who support both.
    • Generator mania and how a lot of people expect artists to just "conform to the generator" Not many people have an idea how hard it is to create consistent generator parts or how not everything is possible to be done in Generator. It's the equivalent to a sweatshop that doesn't incite creativity in some artists.
    • Lack of quality feedback or "vocal interest"
    I understand there's clashing interests however. Some artists just want to make some cool character people can use, some would rather create their own character via generator. It's hard to find a balance.

But it's also frustrating as an organizer to also be asked to separate an artist with commercial terms and non-commercial when the point is that it's a collaborative effort and have these artists's work appreciated and be used in a game. Why can't some people just read the readme and learn of the artist and contact them? A nice thank you and permission to use their assets can go a long way.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  16. DaveyBriteRPG

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd be quite happy to take control of it if a mod could teach me the ways.

17. Vanyar

Vanyar Villager

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree with Lunarea: It for sure wouldn't be necessary to give out new things every month. I think once in a quarter or even once in half a year would be enough. I would be willing to help too. That's the main reason I posted in this thread ^^

It's sad that apparently a bunch of people didn't appreciate the contributors for their hard work. I can understand that the contributors didn't want to keep it going like this. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who just use the work without saying thank you.
    The stuff with the DLCs is indeed complicated. Maybe it would be possible to encourage the people to buy the DLCs too because there are some ressources you can only get from DLCs.

That may sound harsh but people who just complain about not separating commercial and non-commercial terms should just be ignored. If they are not willing to talk to the contributors to ask if it may be possible to use their works in a commercial game are the worst.

18. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Getting constructive feedback is always very difficult. Even if you ask for feedback, not many will give it. The reason is simple.
    Giving feedback is sometimes really annoying. I made a purchase of several things and collected around 20 freebies from unity not too long ago. Unity asked me to review these things. I gave reviews to paid stuff. But the freebies... I had to stop after 6th freebie. Because the only constructive thing I can give to a freebie is suggest another things. But exactly due to the fact that they are freebies I don't feel like I have any right to actually judge these freebies. Because you know, beggars can't be choosers they say.

19. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Project Delta Developer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I love the restaff. I would certainly give feedback on it.

20. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Feedback and critique aren't the same thing and just saying what would make it better isn't the point of either. The most helpful feedback any artist can get is to let them know what is working and why. When we get no response at all we just assume that nothing is working at all and that we should stop making stuff.

slimmmeiske2, Poryg and Caz like this.