Shablo5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Anyone give this game a go? Anyone hear about it in passing and want to give it a try?

I've been a sucker for MMOs since Everquest, unfortunately they have ruled my life for much too long, but that has also mean i've seen most of them to come out, and it's been a while since i've been as excited for an MMO, especially not at the level I am for GW2. The hype has pretty much died down since people have been able to play it for like 5 months now through betas, but the excitement is still there. I hope this one is a keeper.

I do respect your opinions to not like this game, if you are out there and aren't a fan, just don't bash me for mine. Thanks.

Many say GW2 brings a new style of questing and playing. I personally disagree with this, I just think it does a good job at modifying what we already have, and covering up the parts we don't like so it feels new, and by damn, it seems that's all I Needed to feel excited for MMOs again.

And plus, the fact that you can be level 10, get bored / growing stagnant in your area, can go to any of the other zones that are below you (Even a level 1 zone), be brought down to it's level, as to not trivialize the content, and yet gain experience appropriate for your non-scaled level (This case, being 10). So you could essentially probably hit max level of 80 by doing every single zone up to level 40 for every race instead of going from 1-80 in your race's zones. I think that's just fantastic, as you get to choose.

I could ramble all day. Anyone have any opinions?

Video for those who don't know what GW2 is:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reverie Raven

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I preordered back in April for my birthday present, so I was in a couple of the betas.

I liked my personal story so far (I reached the cap though during the beta, so I was unable to continue it past level twenty or so). I played the original as well, focusing on Nightfall, and I really enjoyed that story, too. The one I experienced wasn't bad. I know one of the things people didn't like was how their characters had set personalities, but mine actually worked out for me... so it wasn't that big a deal. The personal stories are one of the biggest complaints I've heard from other people, though.

Other than that, I had loads of fun playing. I started with a Guardian because I wanted to be sure that's what I wanted when it's released, and I decided that I most definitely do! Just can't decide on the race (probably human or Sylvari).

Combat was really fun. I like that you pick the abilities that you want for your last five skillslots and through the weapon/offhand you're using. I always hate when I have like two hundred abilities and I keep having to swap bars (okay, I'll be honest, I never set up more than one bar.) I don't think they plan on adding a way to reset your skillpoints (I could be wrong), but I got an elite that I ended up not like very much... but now that I know, I'll just get a different one when I play again. Dodging... ugh. I am SO bad at dodging XD I am so used to sitting in one place just spamming buttons that I tend to forget that I can actually move around. It wasn't until around level thirty or so that I actually started using it more. But as a Guardian, I ended up going mace and shield anyway, so I could block a lot of the damage coming my way ^_^

Guild Wars 2 is really beautiful, too. I could just run around and get lost in the scenery for hours (which I did). I really like the lore surrounding the game as well. I think my favorite human god is probably... Dwayna or Lyssa. I wasn't in a party very often, but the beta was really populated and there were lots of people around for most of the events. I also did my utmost to complete each zone 100%, going to each of the points of interest and skill points.

ANYWAY... I played... a lot. I think I had about fifty hours playtime at the end of all the beta events. The choices of where you can go and which events to participate in--and how to carry out the goals (picking things up, killing stuff, interacting with the environment)... it's all stuff we've seen before, but they did a really good job with it! And the whole impact on the world... <3

I really do love GW2 and I'm looking forward to being able to play in like, what, two weeks? It's going to be awesome. :3

regendo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I'm a huge fan of the game. My first MMO was the original Guild Wars, which I got for christmas '08 (I know, it is officially considered a CORPG and not a MMORPG, but no-one ever really cared about that) and I pre-purchased the GW2 CE as soon as it became avialable.

While it, of course, is far from being perfect, it is, honestly, the best game I've played so far (played for an estimated 60 hours over 2 BWEs and a few stress tests, unfortunately couldn't make it for BWE2). And having sadly missed out on many RPG legends isn't the reason for that ;)

Personally, I think the greatest things about the game (in no particular order) are:

• down-scaling: If you're playing a level 80 (max) character and just quickly want to play something in a low-level zone (e.g. because you want to help a friend of yours that is new to the game), you can do just that without ruining the experience (as in "enjoying to play", not XP) for either of you. You will be down-scaled to a level appropiate for the content you're doing. For example, you might be scaled down to level 15 and be fighting level 13 centaurs. You'll still be more powerful than not scaled-down players, but you can't just tank all the enemies at once and one-hit everything without taking any damage.
  • equal strenght in PvP: Once you have finished a very short (<15 minutes) tutorial, you can immediately go to PvP. You'll be scaled up to level 80, unlock all skills and traits, and have access to weapons, armor parts, and upgrades with max stats. No-one has an advantage over anyone in sPvP, except for the player's experience and skill.
  • the art-style
  • jumping puzzles (even though I suck at doing them)
  • Charr.
  • the combat system: A great mix of traditional MMO combat (you have 10 skills [+ other skills granted by either changing your attunement (elementalist), equipping a different kit (engineer) or weapon-swap (everyone else)] that you use for damage, control, and support [which replace the holy trinity]) and combat from more action-focused games (you really want to start learning to dodge early; otherwise, you'll regret it once that big bad troll almost one-hits you with a single blow from his giant hammer, which everyone else has evaded).
  • Oh, and as a former GW(1) player: jumping and swimming is great :)

Reverie Raven

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
equal strenght in PvP: Once you have finished a very short (<15 minutes) tutorial, you can immediately go to PvP. You'll be scaled up to level 80, unlock all skills and traits, and have access to weapons, armor parts, and upgrades with max stats. No-one has an advantage over anyone in sPvP, except for the player's experience and skill.
I didn't get to participate in a lot of PvP. I grouped up with a couple of people to do an event (Shadow Behemoth) but we didn't know what / how / when he was triggered, so he suggested we go into WvW ... so we get there and the map is flippin' huge.So I'm following this guy around hoping he knows what we're supposed to be doing, and I almost die to some wolves that I ran into. He turned around and helped me, thank goodness, and we continue running around this massive map for like ten minutes, and we finally make it to this fortress. Cue excitement!

Only twenty people ran out and killed us. Really fast.

Turns out it was an enemy base.

So now we're back at the main area where you spawn in and we had to run alllll the way to another base (I'm not sure if there is teleporting? but we didnt know if there was XD), another ten minutes pass, we make it to a base that we actually own this time. Only it's under siege, and without even thinking, I swap to my 2H sword and dive right in.

I died in about .5 seconds, right in the doorway of our fortress. I left after that. XD

It was fun though, even if I completely noobed it up. And I still laugh about it. Good times.

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
I really wanted to but it and still want to play too, but I have satellite internet and I can't play it because of the control lag.I wish their was a way to fix this problem.

Psyker

Degibeta Team
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also it is free to play after purchase. No monthly fee required. I put my fair share of time into Guild Wars and even though my computer can't quite play Guild Wars 2, my fellow guild / alliance members say it is very fun and a well done game.

Shablo5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Reverie there are teleporters, but only if they are paid and built by the players in WvWvW and they become contested and unusable when the keep or whatever you build the TP in, gets contested. If you played in an early beta, there would be no teleporters, cause nobody could afford it.

And yeah, PVP is balanced, but jumping off of a gate onto the 50 people at the gate trying tobust it down, you'll die just simply to the AOE XD

Also , I too noticed how strong the NPC / Mobs were in WvWvW. It was kinda surprising that I couldn't solo a wolf lol.

@Shin Yeah my dad has Satellite internet and still tries to play WoW, he can't do anything combat related lol.

I never liked GW1. At all. Even after the first BWE for GW2 I went back and tried GW1 again and just couldn't get into it. I don't know why i'm not a big fan of it, but I do love GW2. I plan to play a Char/Asura Elementalist/Warrior. Not sure which class or race but a combination of those. I LOVE how the asura warriors run with a giant 2H hammer or sword, but at the same time I love the Char story, so i'm kinda torn.

Milkdud

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also it is free to play after purchase. No monthly fee required.
Unfortunately, a micro-transaction store will be popping up for the game. Time will only tell how quickly it'll ruin the game.

I'll be getting the game, not sure when though. I absolutely loved Guild Wars 1 and I put a helluva a lot of time when I first got it and made a lot of friends too (all of which I haven't spoke to in years). I doubt it'll recapture the same sense of discovery I had with the first one - but I expect a great game none the less (especially after it should've been out two years ago).

regendo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Unfortunately, a micro-transaction store will be popping up for the game. Time will only tell how quickly it'll ruin the game.
Hopefully never. Guild Wars (1) had microtransactions added at some time and never has there been anything that grants you an advantage over other players (well, the fire imp and mercenary heroes kind of do, but the minor advantage that can be gained by those really is neglectable [+ these come only into play in PvE]).

I'm sure that we'll be able to say the same about Guild Wars 2's microtransactions one year from now. Yes, there are a few things that give you a minor advantage (xp/karma/glory boosts and mystic keys; however, all of those can also be obtained without microtransactions, and who cares about these really weak buffs?), but there isn't anything that gives you a real advantage over other players, especially in sPvP. (also, don't forget that these microtransactions are obtained by gems, which you can also acquire through trade)

Shablo5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Tis true. The only thing that could be seen slightly adventageous is the karma booster, IMO, because they'd help you get your gear faster. But on that note, again, you can buy gems for gold, and buy the karma booster without paying a penny. And since the gem -> Gold price is dictated by the players, you can't expect a game will require you to be super fricking rich to afford some gems, since the gem sellers DO need buyers, and not every buyer is filthy rich.

I think it's a good system.

deilin

Ranger/Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The micro transaction works both ways.

You can buy crystals and then exchange it for gold, but that would depreciate the value of crystals and increase the value of gold, giving you less returns the more you do that, which also give the people who trade their gold for crystals more crystals on your dime.

In beta, 1 crystal cost you as high a 50 silver for 1 crystal, and as low as 8 silver for one crystal (people traded their free crystals for gold in beta) but what do crystals GIVE you.

Well, there costumes that are appearance only...

Mini pets that are, again, visual only.

More character bag slots so you can hold more bag, thus more items.

expanded bank slots for the whole account.

charcter slots to expand beyong 5 characters (I have 16 total in GW1)

Consumable buffs for PvP/WvWvW or PvE that simulate guild buffs (And the more fo one buff you have, the less buff it gives until a max buff rate is reached)

Most likely, future expanded content will be added through the in-game store, like the hero stories from GW 1 where you play gwen and escape the charr. Enough for new content and stories, but not enough to be called an expansion. (GW 1 was 3 campeigns and 1 expansion that connected all 3 campeigns and led to the events of GW2)

As for tyhe game itself, I enjoyed the beta, though tough when you have to groupmates on when you are. I still want to put every Asura I see on the end of a pike... The Sylvarians were a little disappointing, but I like the Charr and Human campeigns. As for the norns, there's a reason I never advanced my Klingon charcters in STO...

The classes do take some time getting used too...

The lack of healing all around my biggest pain in the rear. I hate having to depend on "Rally" to keep going.

For the most part, thieves were useless in PvE since most of your skill remove you from combat and you have to start the enemy from scratch again.

Rangers were given melee for those who prefer that style, but the pets start off weak, and can cause a mob to come after you.

The ele now is a hit'n'miss in my opinion. Yes, you eventually gain access to all elemental types, but you lose the ability to mix skill in GW2.

The guardian is an interesting new class to the scene.Probably the closest thing to a proper battlemage. Can wear heavy armor, use melee, and cast spells, while auto-casting buffs to yourself and allies around you. Probably the better of the small group classes.

As for not being able to solo a wolf in WvWvW

The game was designed to force co-op in PvP and PvE. Why you would want to try and solo in WvWvW anyways is beyond me. The only class I know that could do that properly was the Rogue in Dark Ages of Camelot who actually had real stealth skills that turned you invisible and you could backstab people. In DAoC you never went into the PvP zones without at least one rogue to scout enemy encampments.

Shablo5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The game was designed to force co-op in PvP and PvE. Why you would want to try and solo in WvWvW anyways is beyond me.
I don't want to zone in WvWvW and have to run from start point halfway across the map to join up with friends / a siege and aggro 1 wolf and be forced to have it constantly attack me until it leashes. And then again. And then again. I should be able to aggro it if it's in my way instead of going around it, kill it, then continue, I should be able to solo it.

deilin

Ranger/Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
All NPC/mobs in dungeons and PvP are considered ELITE in the minimum, and not to be solod in any fashion. They explain it in their blogs.

randomuser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
edit

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Swag collecting in the new randomly generated area. Now the mini map also shows the randomly generated features... And even illustrates the whole "bubble" system" that I made to manage memory... Though that part's inadvertent. We'll just call that "the fog of war"... Yes, that's what we'll do. Nobody will be the wiser! :kaopride:
not me being not lazy for 5 seconds and drawing another char portrait (her name is hazel)
its_hazel.png
Been a while since the last time I made a song remix. Had a blast making this
One thing those jp developer still get wrong about boob physic is that... men's muscly hard pecs can jiggle too.
Definitely glad I haven't released a few of my plugins that are technically done. As I learn more, I find ways to make my code more efficient, and in one case so far, discovered an existing function that did EXACTLY what I created my own function to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neikoku