HalcyonDaze

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I don't think any Mode 7 scripts were ever truly finished/easily usable for Ace, I'd love to see one done for MV. 

Has anyone heard of anyone currently working on this? It would be the closest thing to functional pseudo-3D that is possible in the RPG Maker series.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, MGC has released a video recently showing some progress in an MV version of mode7.

I don't know what the difference is between mode7 and H-mode7.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chickenlump

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It's disturbing how much I didn't know I wanted this, but now I do. Like... if you knew... it would disturb you. 

The last good RPG I played recently was the Golden Sun series, and when I saw that they implemented Mode 7 like effects for it's world map, I smiled a disturbing smile.

Having the world map tile seamlessly onto itself and repeat in all directions, while not necessary, will still be interesting to see if that follows along with at some point.

HalcyonDaze

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's disturbing how much I didn't know I wanted this, but now I do. Like... if you knew... it would disturb you. 

The last good RPG I played recently was the Golden Sun series, and when I saw that they implemented Mode 7 like effects for it's world map, I smiled a disturbing smile.

Having the world map tile seamlessly onto itself and repeat in all directions, while not necessary, will still be interesting to see if that follows along with at some point.
Someday seeing this fully completed and fleshed-out is going to be great. That's why it's not entirely true to say RPG Maker is incapable of 3D. :)

TheWhiteRose000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, MGC has released a video recently showing some progress in an MV version of mode7.

What is his name on the forum again, and his website I can't find it anymore.

xD

RyanBram

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I think the difference is between the surface.

In Mode-7, the every surface is flat (mountain, tree, etc) although we can rotate or change the perspective. In H-Mode 7, the map also has contour, so mountain has height, tree has height, etc.

Sorry for my english  :D

MGC

Coder
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
The "H" is for "Heightmaps". Each tile is associated with a greyscale picture, and when the map is drawn, an y-offset is applied for each pixel, depending on the color of the associated pixel in the greyscale picture.

This script is hard to use (no wysiwyg editor).

I don't know if I'll write a H-Mode7 plugin. I'm focusing on a basic mode 7 for the moment, and then I'll probably write some other scripts like FPLE and Gral sphaela.

HalcyonDaze

Smoke and Mirrors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How close would you say your Mode-7 plug-in is to being ready for testing?

MGC

Coder
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
There are still a lot of work (the famous 80-80 rule : when you think 80% is done, there's still 80% left). I'll probably release a WIP version with missing features when it's enough stable (before the end of the year for sure).

dragon1up

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are still a lot of work (the famous 80-80 rule : when you think 80% is done, there's still 80% left). I'll probably release a WIP version with missing features when it's enough stable (before the end of the year for sure).
Any updates in 2018 ? Found my old project back-up and was curious in terms of the progress of this awesome feature/plug-in

DevAesthetic

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I second this thread.
I need a H-mode 7, Not Mode 7. There's a difference and that someone explained it already.
like, Having this PSeudo 3d maps but also have buildings, plants, etc. pop out into this 3d world that I could travel, Like yeah, The sprites would be 2d but everything else has a 3d environment that I always dreamed of. I hope that someone could make this dream a reality.

Yanazake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese (BR)
Primarily Uses
N/A
I guess... There is still no H-Mode 7 or even Mode 7 plugin for MV yet? There's a lot of stuff online showing ppl doing crazy stuff to the engine, but no releases whatsoever that I could find.

Edit: For whatever reason, this thread didn't come up easily... But there is one.
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/ultra-mode-7.94100/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I keep seeing the 'file tear' icon when I'm on some post that has images. I'm not sure if it's just me or it's the post, based on the replies I see.
Me: anime is okay. There are a couple good ones and a lot of really bad ones but the good are worth it. Brother: if you bring anime anywhere near me I'll break your nico nico kneecaps
Wasting so much time trying to get a sprite behavior to work. I feel like banging my head against a wall.
Well... it’s been a real pain in the IRS today. :/
My kitty still young (3-4 months), I think I could teach her some funny tricks... like: "Play dead-ly good music for my games"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinion