RMMV Half-Baked Idea Worth Pursuing or Abandoning?

Papa-Beercheese

Diggy diggy my trench, trench.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I’ve been toying with this half-baked idea for the last couple hours and was looking for some feedback. My problem is whether this is an idea worth pursuing or abandoning, due mostly to the possible controversial nature of the setting (although it could always be worse like a Telly Tubby RPG for instance).

You assume the role of Galina, a young woman with no prior memories and a timepiece affixed to her heart. She is revived by a Znakhar (a type of Slavic Wiseman/Witch Doctor) who tells her that she is a “Pledged”, a spirit who died before her time. She has been given a second chance to reach Paradise by the Great Goddess, fail and she will wander the world as an undying spirit for eternity. He leaves her with a cryptic goal to seek out the “Velvet Chalice” and to satiate the gods’ lust for balance.

All of humanity has within them “Humors”, enigmatic essences capable of fantastic illusions and abilities. By manipulating these Humors, humanity can master the latent magic within them. However, the act of manipulating the Humors has been relatively unknown and forgotten for nearly 600 years. When humanity uses the Humors in excess, they upset the delicate balance between the White God and the Black God. When these scales pivot too far the world suffers from the Miasma, the very same plight that caused the deaths of 75-200 million people across the medieval world known as the “Great Mortality”.

The great powers had expected the Great War to be a short one, full of glory and old-world dashing. They expected the war to be over before the Winter season, which it did, only after 4 years of mechanized slaughter, genocide, and mass starvation. By weaponizing the Humors to break the deadlock in the West, the great powers mistakenly upset the delicate balance and caused a new outbreak of the Miasma across the globe in 1918. The Miasma swathed through the populace like a great scythe, corrupting everyone it touches into the “Blight”. While the corruption was less commonplace in the West, the East was hit extremely hard.

Even as peace is being made in the West, the East is still embroiled in a bitter civil war. Brother against brother, sister against sister, the bloodshed will seemingly never end until all humanity has ceased to exist. Massive fleets of armored trains thunder throughout the frozen lands and golden wheat fields. The world trembles before the blast of their great guns crushing bone, pulverizing homes, and tearing lives away from this world. Mechanized Infantry tower over the heads of men and women crackling with that peculiar energy that is the Humors. Whether they are man or machine, the Mechanized Infantry are a fearsome sight upon the battlefield capable of besting the strongest of the Blight. Strong as they are, they are not invulnerable to the corruption.

The spirits watch in rapt delight as the chaos continues to spread unchecked. The Deathless is less interested in the affairs of mortals, it has set its sights on the Pledged with an opportunity to change the world. Will she restore the balance between the gods and bring an end to the Miasma, or will she pivot the balance in favor of the White God or the Black God? No matter the decision, the Deathless will be thoroughly entertained.

Ideally the game would play out in a linear fashion where the only way to advance further into the story is to defeat a boss figure barring the way to the next “area”, for a lack of better words. There is a heavy emphasis on exploration, puzzles, and the occasional NPC side quest to keep things interesting. I want to keep the plot at a minimum and have the player flesh it out through notes and items found throughout each area or the occasional non-hostile NPC.

Combat, unless I can implement something more interesting, is just a standard RPG format of attacks, block, items, and so on. No allies as of yet, it is primarily a solo operation. Have fun fleeing from Blighters and trigger happy riflemen.

The setting is something that I’ve wanted to use in an RPG for a long time. The Russian Civil War saw several if not dozens of different factions duking it out across Russia (the Red Sotnia, Cossacks, the American Polar Bear Division, the Czech Legion, the Imperial Japanese Army, German Freikorp as a few examples). Lots of possibilities for unique character ideas, not to mention incorporating interpretations of Slavic mythological creatures. Course the setting alone would probably earn this idea too much flak, given how politically charged everything is nowadays. Erm, I digress…

That is just about the gist of it. As I said earlier it’s still just a half-baked idea. Do you think this is something worth pursuing or just a waste of effort?

Pix3M

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think most potential for controversy would be over how you are portraying monarchism vs communism and just from this blurb I'm not sure which side of the conflict you will write more generously. It seems a story that has an inherently controversial event happening but itself isn't the center of the story. People will probably think the blight have something to do with communism (because anything bad happens is because of communism apparently) but otherwise I don't think your idea is so offensive that you'd have to abandon it

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like a Game based on a Historical Epic. Normally, People lose interest in Very Detailed Story based Games, Because at some point the whole things gets too complicated and confusing. You need to constantly keep the Player on the edge and try to draw their attention every few minutes.

While its easy to imagine a Whole Saga, I think you should consider writing down a list of relevant Resources, Characters, Events, Maps, Combat events etc required to make such a Game. After a brief Plan, If you think you can afford the time, resources then go ahead.

Remember, What could be an exciting story to you could be "Confusing" to others, If you don't find a way to capture their interest. So besides the story, I would suggest you think of some unique mechanics or features in the game to link back to the Story and to draw the player's attention and keep them involved, So even if they aren't so much into Narration, They could find other ways to play through and still get to be involved.

It sounds like a Great story, If narrated with enough detail and unique features. Consider adding something like a "Picture Gallery", Which links the Players back to the important Story events, Giving the whole thing a Greater context.

Also, I'm not sure this sound like your Typical JRPG Theme, So think of a Mood for all your Characters, Story, World throughout the Game. Example : Maps portrayed as Dark Black to signify sadness or chaos etc.. Several ideas like these if they come together, I don't see why you can't make it an interesting story, People like Complicated game story as long as they understand what is going on in the Story and feel like they are involved in it !!!

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Must be honest, didn't read it all, it's a bit dense at least as how it's written right now, got a bit distracted with the many concepts at the start, but I kind of get a general idea of what's it about.

I'd say that if you're interested in exploring something give it a go, maybe try to treat the issue with respect. But hey, that's my way of thinking, I don't like treating things like some kind of taboo.

I agree on what others say though. I don't see the controversial topic to be the focus, seems more like you are basing yourself loosely on the timeframe/setting more than the actual conflict. Which is fine, you shouldn't have that much of a problem then.

Papa-Beercheese

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds good but I don't like the amnesia trope
Agreed, looking back in hindsight it's not a very original idea...Perhaps she has convinced herself to believe in a delusion she created to mask a traumatic past event? Having to face the truth could open the doors for character development.

Papa-Beercheese

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lot's of great pointers everyone, I really appreciate the feedback Pix3M, Link12, Black Pagan, orochii!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm hoping to get a call October 1. They should be fully open by then.

With this, all demo dungeon graphics are done.
Eventually I need to make animations...send help.
OcRam demo project is now available at https://ocram-codes.net !!!
mzBaseBody.png added!

Ami
--- Mushroom ---

F.Knight: We runs out the food!
Hero: Anything could eat in this place?
F.Archer: It's a bunch of Mushroom over there. I wonder it's safe to eat.
F.Knight: No worries,we have to fill our inside no matter what it is.
(Hero & F.Knight Eat The Mushroom,After 10 Seconds They Collapse With Foam)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MashiroS