Half-Body Portraits

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Pigeon_Bread, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Pigeon_Bread

Pigeon_Bread The Royal Nonesuch Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys!

I'm VERY new to the whole game-making ordeal, and while I've been able to get help on most topics, there's one that continues to stump me. I'd like to insert half-body portraits of my characters. These, hypothetically, would show up when that character is speaking, in place of the little box portraits. I'm thinking sort of like how the characters appear in Corpse Party or Fire Emblem games!

Is this possible to do? What specific dimensions do I need on the drawings? These are really important to me, as character design is super important, so it's not something I'm willing to just omit.

Thanks for taking the time! :D

2. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is possible, but you'll need a plugin/script to modify the default dialogue system (since by default it only allows face images in the left part of the dialogue box). As for the image size, that depends on your game resolution (depending on your engine, for example RPG Maker MV has a default resolution of 816x624, but it can be changed).

3. Pigeon_Bread

Pigeon_Bread The Royal Nonesuch Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank y
    Thank you so, so much! You're a life saver!

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Do you need a script/plugin? I thought it could be done with events using "Show picture"? I know scripts and plugins can give more control over it though, and maybe simplify things.

5. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well technically you could use the show picture, but you'd have to use it every time a different character is speaking, which sounds like a tedious job.