Half size version of MV TD characters for world map, anyone?

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello!

I am currently working on it myself, but I am not very excited about the current results. If there is something like it already I would love that.

if anyone has a heart of gold and has the time to spare, I would love to have the below characters in a 24x size rather than the 48x.
56F28375-8CEA-4E8C-A5FD-9DB23B4F4D9A.png
My current work, for the 4th, knight.
20AAC92B-829D-46DA-BD90-FEE337DE2431.png
Perhaps you know why my sprite looks so bad? If you have the time, could you try to improve and send to me? :)

thanks for any help! :)

Best regards,
Bishiba

spillycup

resident cutiepie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
idk it seems like a ton of work. i suppose it would be worth it if you see the half-sized characters for a very significant amount of time. also, all of your characters have such intricate details that it would a really big challenge to try to translate everything to half size..

a compromise would be to just use scaling algorithms, but editing the faces so they wouldn't appear too mangled up. a lot of the details would end up getting muddied, but as long as the faces are intact (and as long as you won't see these sprites for too long) i don't think it would be too big an issue.
here's what i came up with (for the first character)

tinyman01.gif tinyman01.gif
i also added a black outline to reinforce their silhouette and hopefully make the motion a little more readable at such a small size

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
idk it seems like a ton of work. I suppose it would be worth it if you see the half-sized characters for a very significant amount of time. also, all of your characters have such intricate details that it would a really big challenge to try to translate everything to half size..

a compromise would be to just use scaling algorithms, but editing the faces so they wouldn't appear too mangled up. a lot of the details would end up getting muddied, but as long as the faces are intact (and as long as you won't see these sprites for too long) i don't think it would be too big an issue.
here's what i came up with (for the first character)

View attachment 197644 View attachment 197645
i also added a black outline to reinforce their silhouette and hopefully make the motion a little more readable at such a small size
I like it very much, I am honestly amazed at how god it looks... Did you do it with an algorithm and then added the outline or did you just make it? It is a bit similar to just a 50% downsizing, but I guess you did some refinement other than the outline? :)

Honestly tho, I am fin with like 16x16, it's so that when you're on the world map you'll be small. I know it might not be very important but it really bothers me But I actually started thinking about doing it with scripting, I do run the game at 1920x1080 whilst also using a 2x zoom which means I might be able to do something with it. Means I'd need to redesign the world map tho. But that might be good :p

So for 16 I believe maybe you just need to make the color scheme and slightly correct the hair? Maybe there's even a free for commercial use generator/creator/template?

Thanks!

Last edited:

spillycup

resident cutiepie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
tinyman01.giftinyman01.gif
tinyman02.giftinyman02.gif
tinyman03.giftinyman03.gif
tinyman04.giftinyman04.gif
hi i made some of your other characters!

I like it very much, I am honestly amazed at how god it looks... Did you do it with an algorithm and then added the outline or did you just make it? It is a bit similar to just a 50% downsizing, but I guess you did some refinement other than the outline?

i did have to d a couple of fixes, especially to the front animations since the algorithm ate up all their arms. i mostly left the side and back animations untouched, aside from fixing their faces and adding the outline of course.

Honestly tho, I am fin with like 16x16, it's so that when you're on the world map you'll be small. I know it might not be very important but it really bothers me But I actually started thinking about doing it with scripting, I do run the game at 1920x1080 whilst also using a 2x zoom which means I might be able to do something with it. Means I'd need to redesign the world map tho. But that might be good
tbh i attempted 16x16 and it was so much harder to make it look good since pretty much all the details just jumbled into an unintelligible smear... 24x24 is probably the smallest you can go without losing too much important detail, at least based on my own capabilities.

if you like the stuff i made i can go ahead with the other 2 characters!

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
View attachment 197667View attachment 197667
View attachment 197669View attachment 197669
View attachment 197671View attachment 197671
View attachment 197672View attachment 197672
hi i made some of your other characters!

i did have to d a couple of fixes, especially to the front animations since the algorithm ate up all their arms. i mostly left the side and back animations untouched, aside from fixing their faces and adding the outline of course.

tbh i attempted 16x16 and it was so much harder to make it look good since pretty much all the details just jumbled into an unintelligible smear... 24x24 is probably the smallest you can go without losing too much important detail, at least based on my own capabilities.

if you like the stuff i made i can go ahead with the other 2 characters!
I would really love it, it would be so nice! :D Buuuut they have a female version too, have to consider everyone :p But yes, the quality is truly amazing and if you do I'd be very greatful. And it goes without saying you shall get credited for it :D
1C3FDE8D-02C4-4A85-A0BB-9BBA815E15A7.png

spillycup

resident cutiepie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
$!tinymencomplete_6 (1).png$!tinymencomplete_6 (2).png$!tinymencomplete_6 (3).png$!tinymencomplete_6 (4).png$!tinymencomplete_6 (5).png$!tinymencomplete_6 (6).png

tinywomancomplete1.pngtinywomancompete2.pngtinywomancompete3.pngtinywomancompete4.pngtinywomancompete6.pngtinywomancompete5.png

here you go! some of them are slightly bigger but they're all the same proportions and they should appear right when you place them in the game
headed to bed now :kaojoy:

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I love it mate, could you also sent it without the outlines? :)

But, honestly... Just look at the difference, the truth is that it now looks so much better. :D Thank you sooo much man! :D

Before:
1628041187740.png

Now:
1628041311518.png

spillycup

resident cutiepie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i can’t really take the outlines out without drastically altering the sprite’s shape.. i can recolor and shade the outlines so they won’t be so obvious anymore, if that’s what’s bothering you about them

bishiba

Adept
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
i can’t really take the outlines out without drastically altering the sprite’s shape.. i can recolor and shade the outlines so they won’t be so obvious anymore, if that’s what’s bothering you about them
Oh no, it's good :) I was just interested in seeing how it'd look. But if you don't have it that's okay. I think it looks really good as it is now :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!
I feel the need to inform everyone on the forums NOT to go with Web Hosting Canada for your hosting needs. It is by far the worst customer service and just overall experience I have ever had with hosting and I am Canadian...
BCj
Got another eye surgery monday. Hope I'll recover quick and all's well. A bit tired of surgeries. On a happy note, working on the next chapter of Escalia so hope I can continue soon :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLXDEREX