Halloween Bash

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Yato, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Yato

Yato (aka Racheal) Veteran

[​IMG]
    Download (4.9MB): Link | Mirror
    It’s the day before Halloween, and little Roberta is excited for her first ever Halloween party at school. She simply can’t wait to get home and have her mother help her make a costume. However, an unfortunate event halts her plans, sending her on a journey in a world she never once imaged existed. She joins Dee and Eddy on their journey to save the world from a malevolent force known as Teenage Rebellion.

Colourful characters stand on your path to victory, and it is up to you to do battle with them and claim your prize. Explore your location to find stat upgrades, and win fights to learn new skills in order to increase your chances of defeating your foes.

This game takes place in the same world as Halloween Flop, but you do not need to play that game first to understand this one.

CHARACTERS
    Roberta - A five-year-old who is very excited for her first Halloween Party at school. She's a bit naive at times, but very lively.
    Dee - Serious and to the point, it's never easy to tell when Dee is telling a dry joke or being serious. She is very taken with her boyfriend, Eddy.
    Eddy - Eddy is a human who takes great interest in the occult. He's pretty easy going and madly in love with his girlfriend, Dee.

SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CREDITS
    Art by MakioKuta and Racheal
    Scripts by Racheal and Yanfly
    Car sprite based on one from First Seed Materials

Download (4.9MB): Link | Mirror

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013
    Vexed, Evan Finkel, Silvestre and 6 others like this.
  2. Filius Rex

Filius Rex Lv 999 procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You have no idea how much I love this game :)

3. Yato

I am very glad to hear that. :) Minus that last day or so when we were stressing trying to get it done for the contest, we had a lot of fun making it too.

4. RetroGamer9000

RetroGamer9000 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    If I play through this game, enjoy it, and want to do a Let's Play of it, may I have your permission?

5. Yato

Sure thing. I'd love to watch it if you do end up making one.

6. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    LOL!  Your use of music from Symphony of the Night did not go unnoticed by me.  Funny story is that just yesterday, I played and completed it on my PSOne, so now I hear the music in this little project and it's really funny to hear, but awesome.  Was humming the originals while listening to the music here.

So far, looks solid and the dialogue is fun!

7. Yato

We had a bit of fun with the references, Castlevania in particular for reasons that should become obvious quickly. It only made sense to use the music for that location.

I actually only played SotN for the first time a couple months back. It's just not a game that crossed my path when it first came out.

djDarkX likes this.
  8. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love it so I had to play through it again.  Yes, love the references and can't wait to get through this in full.  Kudos on making this! :thumbsup-right:

9. RetroGamer9000

First Language:
    English
    Review and Let's Play coming soon. :D

10. Yato

Looking forward to it. :)

Thanks for taking the time to play and review.

11. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Did I never said that I love this game so much? Well I can say it now: I love this game so much!

I already played it time ago, and then I took it again yesterday (it's always fun).

I freaking love the graphics, the humour and the awesome characters, I think Dee is my favourite one, but the truth is that they're all well developed.

I also like the customization in battle and the three different kind of enemies with weakness (it makes you think during the battles instead of just attacking over and over).

Oh gosh...this game has so many awesome characters and great music themes:

The three characters from The Wizard of Oz, the Three Musketeers, Alvin and the Chipmunks, the music from Castlevania and Thriller.

Don't know why, but Stop, Drop and Roll kinda reminds me about Lock Shock & Barrel from Nightmare Before Christmas...ahah

Maybe I didn't get all the references (speaking about the enemies) but I still enjoyed the humour.
    Overall this thing is an EPIC WIN in everything...I want to support it, seriously, give me a support bar!

Thanks for making this awesome little gem, I really enjoyed it.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
    Susan likes this.
  12. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why in the fricks does this have only 3 likes.

THIS GAME IS AWESOME EVERYONE SHOULD FRICKING PLAY IT WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING WITH YOUR LIFE!

But srsly just shut up and play it.

Also Athos <3

*goes to dislike and like a buncha times to spam*(darn they fixed the like spamming)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
    Makio-Kuta and Dalph like this.
  13. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English

Overall this thing is an EPIC WIN in everything...I want to support it, seriously, give me a support bar!

Thanks for making this awesome little gem, I really enjoyed it.

Cheers.

Dee always seems to be the fan favourite; she was in the original game as well. (not that I blame anyone. She simply oozes sarcastic levels of awesome)

And you can totally use the support bar that Rach and I tote around in our sigs if you want :) Actually, would be honoured if you did.

[​IMG]

I'm really glad the graphics are well received. The character art is so zany! But it's fun to draw haha

You got a good chunk of the references! Here are some of the others, since we never went out and said them in this thread at a later date and we should have.
    The three fairies in the music room are the Power Puff Girls. Of course we have the Gorgon Sisters in the torture room. The penguins are actually the 'three blind penguins' to play on three blind mice. They start off the battle inflicted with a permanent blind status effect.

The final set of three before the final boss in the dining hall are spoofs on Laharl, Etna, and Flonne from the Disgaea series.

Webby, the slime in the first dungeon, is the girl duck who was friends with Huey, Dewey and Louie in Duck Tales. In the original Halloween Flop, the first three slime you fight were Huey, Dewey and Louie, so that only seemed fitting.

The three girls in the library are from an original webstory that I co-create with a friend. Which you should totally read btw. Everyone should. *Shameless Advertising!!*

As for Stop, Drop and Roll they are another callback to the Halloween Flop. There was a trio of undead creatures named Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato. Stop, Drop, and Roll are their parents. So their appearances are very similar to BLT. Stop is my favourite though, since he is a mummy wrapped in Police Tape. Nothing says 'STOP' quite like police tape. (in contrast, his son Bacon is a mummy wrapped in... well... bacon)

Frogger, Agatha's witch familiar, is obviously based on the game Frogger. He has tire treads on his body (that are hard to see in the small art style) and uses moves like 'Power Up' to mirror old school game lingo.
    Phew---there are a lot of references in this game. Glad you enjoyed it!

As for you Indrah, I agree... it needs more love ;.; (but Athos is quite satisfied with just your love. He doesn't need anyone else.)

Dalph likes this.
  14. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I missed a lot of references then...awesome stuff, ahahah.

Anyway thanks for the explanations, and I will gladly read Artoris soon. 
    I added the support bar in my list, because I like the game and because I think it needs more visibility.  :thumbsup-right:

Susan likes this.
  15. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    Game is good, but it's just... MISSING something. Like, as if there is a missing character or something.

If only I could put my finger on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  16. JohnnyR

JohnnyR Dungeon Master Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, how have I missed something like this? I'm getting pretty blind these days.. 

I love it! Just finished it, and I must say it was really fun! Although I did not get all of the references, I loved to hear the song from Castlevania!

I like to see references and Easter-Eggs in games! (That's why mine has so many of 'em..)

I would love to add a support bar of it to my signature!  :D

17. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Asto: I wonder who that could be?? Porthos, Aramis, and Athos do agree that it feels like they left something behind at the hotel on the way to the party. It's such a mystery.

@JohnnyR: Well, I'm glad you found it and extra glad you enjoyed it! It's a lot of fun brainstorming with Rach for Easter Eggs for these games. If there was a reference in particular that was on the tip of your tongue and you couldn't quite nail it, feel free to ask. Playing on Castlevania references a lot was fun--since they were in Dracula's manner. xD

If you enjoyed Bash, maybe you'd also like to check out Halloween Flop. Bash is a prequel to it of sorts, even though Flop was made first. The systems aren't as polished as they are in this game, but I think some of the key fights are more interesting in comparison. :) -end shameless pitch-

I really ought to get Rach to edit the support bar into the first post. But! Here it is. Feel free to use this if you'd like. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
  18. JohnnyR

JohnnyR Dungeon Master Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Makio: Thank you! I shall use it with honour! And I've already checked Halloween Flop, I just forgot to leave a comment there when I did.. *facepalm*

All of your games so far are just AMAZING! I wonder what you'll come up with next!  :D

19. RetroGamer9000

First Language:
    English
    Okay, so I played through the game. And I really enjoy it! :D

So, now comes the task of doing the Let's Play and the Review. But which should I do first? :|

20. RetroGamer9000

First Language:
    English
    Alright. I have decided I will do a Let's Play first. Then, I will do one of Halloween Flop.

Then...

I shall review.