Halloween Theme Mini Game [Play Now]

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Name, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Name

Name Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I finally finished my Halloween themed mini game made with Halloween Tileset and Old School Modern Set! You can download and play it if you like!

Untitled-2.png

Download: FREE TO PLAY/CLICK HERE

Game details: Adventure RPG with tough puzzles! / Short Game

Credits: Sugar ZooZoo, Enterbrain, Degica, SumRndmDde, TheHolidaySpot.com, Jason Perry, Sharm

Synopsis: A fun and tricky mini game about a group of trick-or-treaters attending a local Halloween party. Things suddenly get weird as they are transported into a maze of danger and ghosts!

How to play: You can play this game for free right in your browser! You can use a mouse or the keyboard to play.

Screenshots:

(editing finished! game is basic and easy to play!)

Untitled-3.png

Untitled-4.png

Untitled-5.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2016
    Hollow 1977 likes this.
  2. BoredSoul

BoredSoul Probably Drunk Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Looks nice!Downloading time!

Name likes this.
  3. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Played this since I'm playing spooky rm games leading up to the holiday.

First, awesome you did something for the holiday, I think its really fun to play holiday themed rpg maker games around there respective holidays. Normally, I'm not a fan of lighting scripts in games (out of personal preference) but you leave the important parts like which door I need to enter highlighted so it was used well in this one. The game was definitely short so I only have a little feedback.

-In the room from your first screenshot when you interact with the jack o lantern it moves direction, I'm assuming that's not intentional so you'll need to tick the direction fix box in the event.

-Moving on the maze, This was kind of a clever little puzzle. I had a few issues here though, I kind of wish I could have saved as I progressed or had saved at the start of the maze in case of KO so I don't have to repeat the beginning. Going along with why I wish I could save it seems in the tighter blackened shadowy areas of the maze its possible in a couple of situations to have the ghosts knock you onto a wall preventing you from moving off of it and progressing; I had to restart one time because of this. In one spot in one of the many transfers while entering through a pathway entrance during the maze I seemed to be facing the wrong direction after a transfer. I was facing the entrance after a transfer rather than facing away from it.

-I'll also mention this here since this is where I first noticed it but you have a couple passability problems. The spiderwebs on the walls can be walked on and those grey/green broken brick floor tiles don't allow you to move up on them; this results in some odd movement in the blackened shadowy parts of the maze where I thought I was running into a wall or something but it was just the movement on the floor being messed up.

-I think the flashlight use was a cool idea/trick but it has one glaring flaw which can be seen in your second screenshot. It should look like its lighting the area in front of me when facing up but you can see it appears the light is highlighting the back of the character as well which would only be possible if the light was coming from behind the character. 

-Okay, moving to the area after the maze, I ended up choosing the fire room. Nothing particularly wrong here but it was irritating to have to restart/re-load from the save every time I stepped on a wrong spot, which occurred three total times. 

-Next I ended up at the room with the three doors, I selected correctly the first time so I'm not sure what happens if you choose the wrong one. I'd guess its game over which would have irritated me to because its solely a one out of three un-educated guess on which one to go through.

-I'm unsure why there are four characters in the party, I don't think they really add anything more to the game and they don't have any particular characterization. I know story wasn't particularly big for this but I think I could have used a little more in spots.

-I think labeling this as a rpg like you did above is incorrect.

That's about it, short but nicely spirited project perfect for a quick way to celebrate the holiday with a cleverly done maze puzzle. Needs some slight sprucing up in a few spots though to address some mostly quick fix minor issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2016
  4. Name

Name Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Vampire Vox Thanks for the insight. I'm going to check those things. I keep playing it and replaying it lol. Thought I got all the snags.Yea the wrong door is a game over. You start back at the beginning of the puzzles. I will make the save feature always available, though. The four players was just because of the story of a group of friends. Interesting review though. I haven't thought of those things as problems. thanks!

Vox Novus likes this.
  5. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Happy to play, It might be interesting as well if the story had some sort of branching results based on the end puzzles you solve. Maybe solving one puzzle let's you escape but solving another let's you learn more about the witch; (Deema was it?) granted I only solved the one so maybe you even did that and I just didn't see it  I get the idea behind the four players, group of friends at a party or out trick or treating, they just didn't seem to have much of a presence in the story.

I was left a bit curious, wanting something a little more from the game; a slightly more ample puzzle like your clever little maze or some bit of story or purpose I wasn't expecting. I don't mean this in a bad way though, just that I wanted a bit more, something a little extra to sink my teeth into (or should I say fangs?)

6. Name

Name Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I may extend the game it was something I have done during my hiatus with my main game. :)

Vox Novus likes this.