Hand-drawn map scrolling issues?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by moon-boat, Jul 15, 2016.

1. moon-boat

moon-boat Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello. I am trying to use my own hand-drawn background as a map. I am not interested in using tilesets to create a map (unless it is necessary to helping me solve my issues). I want to draw a big map where the player can walk around and the screen scrolls with the player. I created a transparent tileset that allows me to have walkable and non-walkable spaces for the player. Even if all of the tiles are set to be walkable, some areas will be cut off for the player. The issue that I'm having is:

The image that I choose gets cut off. For example I will create an image that is, lets say, 50 x 50 pixels. In RPG Maker, it will cut off a part of the edge of the image.

I want my player to be able to move around and the map image to be used as a space. The more the player walks in a direction, the more of the map background is revealed. Of course I dont want the map to be endless, I want it to be cut off at some point (which is basically the edge of the image I intentionally imported into RPG Maker). Well, RPG Maker isn't letting me do that!

For example, I want the mechanics to work like they do in Undertale (except without the use of the RPG Maker tileset or any visible tileset in general)

http://res.cloudinary.com/lmn/image/upload/fl_lossy,q_80/f_auto,w_640,h_360,c_limit/v1/gameskinnyop/4/7/8/478bec1f7f5e8c04291ce0bae91698de.gif

Thx have a nice day and please help me I really want to make a game fml

2. Zero2505

Zero2505 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not sure if I am reading the question right. But if you want a bigger picture to scroll when you walk to the edges just add a "!" in front of the image name. For example if your image name is forest, make sure your image name is spell like !forest. Hopefully that helps you out a little bit.

3. Ipsen

Ipsen Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Assuming the picture fits the map perfectly, set it as a parallax and have it not scroll whatsoever.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No matter how you make your pictures, they need to fit the grid - because the entire engine works around the grid.

One grid element/tile is 32x32 pixels for Ace, and the minimum map size (for default resolution) is 17x13 tiles.

Which also means that the minimum size for a non-looping parallax on the smallest map is 544*416 pixels, and if you have a larger map the parallax needs to be of a similiar larger size or it will loop.