Hand-drawn Maps Advice

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Yoraee, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Yoraee

Yoraee Veteran Veteran

Hey everyone,

I am working on a game where the maps are hand-drawn. I am not adept with drawing digitally, so my process is to draw the maps on paper, scan them and then color in GIMP. 

I would appreciate advice on how to optimize this process, in particular with the sizing of the maps. Currently I am coloring the maps in their original size and then resizing to smaller dimensions for use in-game. I use the same process for objects; I draw and color them in relation to the unadjusted map size and then resize them.

This process, as you can imagine, is a HUGE hassle and working with A4/A3 sized images in GIMP results in major slowdown and lag.

Are there any developers who've had game maps similarly drawn on traditional media, who can share their process? Would it be preferable for me to resize the maps and objects before coloring? How would that impact the level of detail?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There is a forum specifically devoted to resource creation - which a hand drawn map is.  So...

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    For map size translating to paper think of it as this way.

Let's say you have a 40x40 map. It means that multiplied by 48 (grid size for mv for example) it's 1920x1920 pixels. If converted to inches it's 26.667 x 26.667 or 67.73 cm. Double or Triple scale that and draw on that dimensions. Once scanned, resize it down or continue drawing at that level of detail then scale down the final product.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  4. Yoraee

Yoraee Veteran Veteran

Thank you for the tip @Archeia! Much appreciated. 

If you don't mind, could you share how you did the conversion from pixels to inches?

5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM