Hand-drawn Maps Advice

Yoraee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey everyone,

I am working on a game where the maps are hand-drawn. I am not adept with drawing digitally, so my process is to draw the maps on paper, scan them and then color in GIMP. 

I would appreciate advice on how to optimize this process, in particular with the sizing of the maps. Currently I am coloring the maps in their original size and then resizing to smaller dimensions for use in-game. I use the same process for objects; I draw and color them in relation to the unadjusted map size and then resize them.

This process, as you can imagine, is a HUGE hassle and working with A4/A3 sized images in GIMP results in major slowdown and lag.

Are there any developers who've had game maps similarly drawn on traditional media, who can share their process? Would it be preferable for me to resize the maps and objects before coloring? How would that impact the level of detail?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There is a forum specifically devoted to resource creation - which a hand drawn map is.  So...

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
For map size translating to paper think of it as this way.

Let's say you have a 40x40 map. It means that multiplied by 48 (grid size for mv for example) it's 1920x1920 pixels. If converted to inches it's 26.667 x 26.667 or 67.73 cm. Double or Triple scale that and draw on that dimensions. Once scanned, resize it down or continue drawing at that level of detail then scale down the final product.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoraee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the tip @Archeia! Much appreciated. 

If you don't mind, could you share how you did the conversion from pixels to inches?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

"If the lion knew her own strength, hard were it for anyone to rule her". This would be my custom title if I had enough spaces for it. Coming off of personal pain, I'm glad I found the original quote I've tweaked.
Today I found out that ladybirds\ladybugs are apparently named for the Virgin Mary. They're also known as God's cows in some places.
J0pac wrote on CrowStorm's profile.
The sad reaction was not because I want you to credit me. (terms clearly say no need to credit) but because those maps are meant to be used as inspiration or guidence. You are ofcourse alowed to use them however you want :)
I'm an adult married woman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bolenciagaboyy