Hand Drawn Style Maps

Do you prefer pixel graphics or hand-drawn when playing RPG Maker games?

• I prefer Pixel

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I prefer Hand-drawn

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • It depends on the project, since I like both

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • I don't care so much about the graphics

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

VitaliaDi

Jedi Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all you lovely people,

After a long hiatus I've returned to game making, and the forums.
This will be my third project and I wanted to test the RPG Maker MV engine to see how far I can push it. The image sizing is great and I want to make everything hand-drawn instead of pixel-style this time around.

What games have you seen that use the RPG Maker program but use good looking hand-drawn maps instead of pixel-style? I would love to find more examples of ways people have pushed that boundary and I love seeing unique graphics in games.

Last edited:

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to be told for me
mv map already look less pixel
and if you want to draw it go ahead
there are less custom tile and hand draw is lesser

it’s not the question how other done
more important is how you done
if you good at hand draw style just show it

but make every thing custom is heavy load work
so I just give up to do my owns custom tile or parallax…

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can think of 3 examples right now. Those would be "Black Crystals", "Everbloom" and "Dream of sword". The last two were made for the IGMC 2018.
I've also seen one game with completely traditional watercolor maps, but I don't remember the name.

I'm actually trying to practice my own art so that one day I can make handdrawn maps, too.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
It always depends of the skills of whatever is attempted for me to like pixels or handdrawns.

T3-mith

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i have been thinking something similar, though what i am doing is im doing all my characters by hand, lol they have ended up looking better (in my opinion) then the generic character sprites, so if you have the hand for it or the money to pay someone to draw the maps for you, its very doable, given you would have ALLOT of work ahead of you, took me about a week to do enough templates to make a single character, but once you get the hang of it you start to get things done more quickly, given though if you already know how to size everything it would be more quick, ~,~ not to mention if your doing 100% parallaxing it would be rather simple and quick i think,

given that though i have not seen any games so far that have had 100% hand drawn sprites,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Profile Posts

A mousefolk sprite I made, I think I did good.
Discovering math. functions for damage formulas was one of the greatest things for me.
It's very useful for balancing skills to work in a variety of possible circumstances.
For example if you have a skill that is supposed to work for both mages and warriors:
Code:
Math.max(a.atk * 2 - b.def, a.mat * 2 - b.mdf)
SpaceX: First-ever successful (manned) commercial spaceflight!! In these terrible and self-sabotaging times for the world, that's a ray of excitement and hope I needed badly.
GameDevJohn wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Hey I used you bunny and cat spritesheet for a game jam game. Thanks so much! You have really beautiful stuff here. I'll credit you at https://gamedevjohn.itch.io/bunny-boy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abhikhurana