hand-drawn tilesets/font/characters/EVERYTHING!!!

Will you pay for this?

• yes

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • no

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters

Yitzi Litt

Made Nepenthe — An RPG that's one giant dad-joke
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[EDIT: the poll is for the art, not the game]
So I have been working on my game for about a year, with all original hand-drawn art, and I realized that others may have a use for it. Here is is an example tileset: https://photos.app.goo.gl/noECe3cfTs7vEEgf1
The real question is: Will you guys be willing to pay for a full game's worth of hand-drawn images/characters/tilesets/font (yes, I made my own font), and if so, how much would you be willing to pay? Let me know in the thread!Monster.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Faherya

The Knight of the Sad Figure
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would not buy the game just by drawing graphics. What you do to them is the point of the matter. If the game is interesting as a whole, it can be. I was just curious about the autotiles. Have you mapped something like this? I would like to see the edges and the animation.

Yitzi Litt

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know how to upload video, so...

Faherya

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Visually your project is solved. When you start the game I'll follow up. I want to see where this is going to go.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Faherya the OP is not asking if you would by the game. He/she is asking if you would buy the resources.

I would say no, because they are not well made. It's not the hand-drawn style (though that is also not consistent between tiles). The autotiles don't tile seamlessly - look at the mountains and the paths particularly, and the little rocks in the water - look at the middle of the tiles on the map and see how they don't line up. I doubt they would animate well, based on the way those tiles are drawn.

If you want to sell something, it's got to be well made. There are tutorials on how to make autotiles, which you should take a look at.

Also, you wouldn't be able to sell them here, unless you talked to Lunarea about putting them on the store. Selling art here is limited to commission work - unique/custom/individual resources for a specific person/game, not selling the same resources in bulk.

Yitzi Litt

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
+Faherya Thanks!

Yitzi Litt

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Faherya the OP is not asking if you would by the game. He/she is asking if you would buy the resources. I would say no, because they are not well made. It's not the hand-drawn style (though that is also not consistent between tiles). The autotiles don't tile seamlessly - look at the mountains and the paths particularly, and the little rocks in the water - look at the middle of the tiles on the map and see how they don't line up.

If you want to sell something, it's got to be well made. There are tutorials on how to make autotiles, which you should take a look at.
Thanks for the critique!
One question-what do you mean by "hand drawn style"?

Faherya

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, it's my fault. I understood wrong the phrase "The real question is: Will you guys be willing to pay for a full game's worth of hand-drawn images / characters / tilesets / font (yes, I made my own font) [...] ?"

Well, considering you're selling the resources, they really need a "style". You see, many games use this technique being one of the most famous Don't Starve. See that style is strong, present in every line of the game. Your graphics are good, but they do not have a differential. Perhaps the difference is just simplicity, but it takes more to say. Characters, windowskin, enemies, anyway.

CallMeKerrigan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The hand drawn style is really unique i've never seen anything like it. I would buy them if the autotile animation was seamless and the tiles were something other than rtp and had a distinct style. Good job.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
with all original hand-drawn art
This is what I mean. You've used pencil on paper, and scanned it in. It's a completely different style to any other resources available. The pencil lines are visible, and they're not all going in the same direction, specifically the 3 sections with water surrounded by solid ground.

Yitzi Litt

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is what I mean. You've used pencil on paper, and scanned it in. It's a completely different style to any other resources available. The pencil lines are visible, and they're not all going in the same direction, specifically the 3 sections with water surrounded by solid ground.
Very true. I did that on purpose, although I completely understand why this would set some people off. It's weird how different people's aesthetic tastes vary!

Yitzi Litt

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your graphics are good, but they do not have a differential. Perhaps the difference is just simplicity, but it takes more to say. Characters, windowskin, enemies, anyway.
The standout connecting feature is the color pallet. There are only like 7 colors in the entire game (with a few notable exceptions) all drawn with Prismacolor watercolor pencils.

Faherya

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I still vote not because I avoid using "packet" graphics, sold openly. I prefer originals. But it is a good proposal, innovative in RPG Maker, I think. I look forward to seeing you in action.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Since I don't have a clue where else to move it to... But the Resource Showcase sections are for actually sharing free resources you've created.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The hand drawn style is really unique i've never seen anything like it.
Agreed. If the plot of the game follows the art, it could be an excellent (experimental) game. My mind is blowing with the story possibilites open by this style of art.

CallMeKerrigan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Pine Towers it reminds me of an rpgmaker game called White Skies where the art looks like doodles. I think it would look good in a mystery or creepy kind of game like that.

Yitzi Litt

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Agreed. If the plot of the game follows the art, it could be an excellent (experimental) game. My mind is blowing with the story possibilites open by this style of art.
Funny you should mention that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

The GIF of this seemed too cool to bury in replies. :LZSwink:
You may have slept with my aunt... but, given the circumstances, cheers.

- Professor Ian Duncan, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuraudo123