crimsonrabbit

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I'm making a puzzle based on the classic hangman fill in the blank game. There's an image on a chalkboard of a noose and beside it a sentence with letters missing. The player inputs the letters and either the missing ones are filled in or body parts are added to the hangman.

What I want to do is make a conditional branch where there are multiple choices and the player inputs through the keyboard. So a text box appears asking the player to input a letter she/he thinks fits the sentence and then that letter either appears in a space in the sentence or a part of the hangman appears.

I thought I could do this with a conditional branch but I wasn't sure how. Like in the image below I thought of using a system similar to how your put in a password - make a blank actor and then have a prompt to change the actor's name. However the problem I ran into is that it's a binary choice, you either input the correct response or not. What I want is for there to be multiple correct responses that lead to different outcomes - input h, then h appears on board, input i then i appears on board. I thought of using somethig with variables but I am very new to using variables so I wasn't sure how

Sorry for the rambling but is there anyway I can do this?

Help.png

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could set up one dummy character to be renamed each time. When the event is activated, you could have them do a name input for that one character, then do the conditional branch "If actor 1 name is a" then do whatever. "Else" show next piece of hangman.

While I do think this could be done with events, just a warning, it will likely be a very complicated event. (Saying that as someone who has done some pretty complicated event systems out of shear stubbornness of not wanting to use scripts.)

crimsonrabbit

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's a good work-around. I don't mind complex events, the game's not something I'm in a hurry to finish. Thanks for the help!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png
workin on some graphics for my game. was originally planning on doing a cartoony style for the town but I might stick with this instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bubyro3