RM2k/3 Haphazard - 1-bit RPG Game (In development)

Paltian

Paltian - I like making music
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Hello there! I'm Paltian.

I'm working on a little 1-bit rpg game called "Haphazard":

Gameplay.

The game idea is that you have to explore up to 10 levels, until facing the final boss. There's no level upgrade like classic rpgs, but you can improve your stats with objects and equipment.
The three main mechanics for the game are decision making (you are constantly choosing between several options), resource managment (basically how do you spend the game money) and exploring (You have to find the room to the next level, but also other rooms in your path. You'll have the aid of a compass, and some NPC's).

In each level there are 121 rooms, but you have to arrive to the stais to the next level before being on 70 rooms. So, you have to explore, collect things and informations, but also looking for the exit.

Also, there's, of course, a lot of secrets, useful information and such, so the player has to be curious and keeping in mind the information he's receiving. Also, the idea of replaying is really there, because you'll discover some useless rooms that you will avoid, and on the other hand, other rooms specially useful for the game.

I hope to have a playable demo in a couple of weeks! Comments appreciated, hope you like it!.
If you're interested, I'll be posting more updates of the game on my twitter.

Style

The game is a 1-bit pixel game. I love this style, because is easier to work with and is very aesthetic, specially if you're a non-profesional pixel artist, like me!

Music

You can say I'm a profesional video game music composer (I don't want to do spam about this, so if you're interested you can ask me or just visit my Bandcamp page with all the video game sountracks I've made)

Of course I want this game to have a good soundtrack. Right know I'm only trying styles and melodies, but the idea is to have an unique chiptune/8-bit retro soundtrack. At the moment, I'm hesitating between a more beat chiptune style, or a classic 8-bit/nes style.

Anyway, hope you like it! Thanks.

Cheers.

PS: Here you have some screenshots of the game.

Captura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.11.34.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.11.55.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.12.12.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.12.32.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.13.01.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.13.18.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.13.50.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.14.02.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.14.16.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.14.28.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.14.47.pngCaptura de pantalla 2020-04-03 19.14.55.png

Last edited:

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This actually looks super polished already!

I love it! What would say is maybe the average playtime for a playthrough (not including replayability)? I came here curious about what a 1bit entailed without the intent to play, but I kind of want to play it if I have the time! :kaojoy:

I am really loving all the effort put into the music/your graphic choice. From an artist's standpoint it's very unique~

Paltian

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Hi Riazey, thanks, I'm glad you like it!

Right now I'm not sure about the average playtime, because the game it's still in early development. But I think it'll be around 30-45 minutes per level...

The thing is, I'm not sure if I'm going to make 10 levels or less. I'll decide this after I've ended the first one! I want to release a demo when this first level is finished, so maybe you can try it then if you want to!

Thanks again for your reponse!

20yearstoolate

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aaw good old Rm2k3. <3 I never got to finish something with it but I used quite a bit. Despite being a bit dated it's still pretty nice. Your game looks interesting and unique. Good luck with it. ^^ I'd give the demo a try as well.

Ellie Jane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (UK)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Love it! And I love the idea of being so limited in graphics like that. It leads to a lot of fun trying to work out how to portray things. A pretty unique style these days really.

Paltian

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Thanks! I love RPG Maker 2003, I've been using it from time to time since my childhood! I know it has its limitations, but it's good enough for what I want to do!

Thanks Amy! I do like to the challenge of limitations! I've always loved 8-bit graphics and music because of that, and definitely 1-bit makes possibilites even "thinner"!

Actually, there's a indie trend for 1-bit pixel art, I think. There are brilliant pixel artist making beautiful games with 1-bit pixel style. For example, the game Minit.

Thanks for you kinds comments! :D

Paltian

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Thanks Marquise!

Leokids

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Why are You making a 1 Bits Game with a 16 Bits Engine? Just Why!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's my cute little ghost~
Minecraft Dungeons is a great example of a game that's much simpler than other games in its genre but almost as equally immersive and fun to play. Lotta RPGmaker devs could learn from that lesson.
Well, it's been a while since the last time I came here... Is there a JS scripting FAQ? I'd like to know what it's capable of achieving, and how :rswt
I love the Time Fantasy tiles, but haven't played anything made with it yet. Can anyone recommend me something?
Vote for what I show more indepth on Twitter tomorrow from the MZ default resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimmydark