p0_boy

anti-kumbaya
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope I am posting this in the right forum. If not, I apologize.

I've been using RPG Maker MV on a MacBook Pro for a few months now and it is working splendid, but I am looking to purchase a second computer that I can use for testing Windows builds.

Steam lists RMMV's minimum requirements for Windows systems as:

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel Core2 Duo or better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 9/OpenGL 4.1 capable GPU
    • Storage: 1 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: 1280x768 or better Display

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Graphics: OpenGL ES 2.0 hardware driver support required for WebGL acceleration. (AMD Catalyst 10.9, nVidia 358.50)
I am seeking to get something close to this- reason being that I would like to test my project on a system that isn't so jacked up so that I can anticipate possible performance issues.

I have found a desktop with the following specs:
  • Intel Core2 Duo 2.9 GHz
  • 4 GB RAM
  • Axle NV GT610 1GB 64 bit Video Card
  • 160 GB HDD
  • 17" LCD Monitor (1280x1024)
  • Windows 7
I am not trying to use this computer for anything more than RMMV. My questions are (to the Windows users in this forum):
  1. Does this look like something that will work for what I am trying to do?
  2. Is it wise for me to get the bare minimum or should I splurge for a system with slightly better specs (newer processor, more RAM)?
  3. Will I be required to purchase an additional, separate license for RMMV? (I currently have the Steam version for my MacBook Pro)
Thanks in advance for your help / recommendations!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my recommendation would be:
8+ GB Ram while larger game or higher evented in HQ can gives lag, so 16GB if you want a good to run mostly all kind
of games in HQ, however, alot of parallel processes on the map can still gives lag, low to high, depending how many is running.
als Nvidia card 1050+ is recommend while this is based on HQ on any games
for the GB HDD, 160 seems low, so aim around 500GB at least to get a good regular amount of space for backups.
and 3.4-4GHz is better.

but in overall if you use it for only MV, i would say, 8GB minimum, 16MB best
Nvidia over all other graphic cards
more then 3,4GHz and over 250GB space minimum.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thoughts:
  1. Looks like it should work fine! That said, I'm no hardware expert. :kaoswt:
  2. You might want to hunt around for 8 GB RAM, but I think it'll be OK with 4 GB if you're only using the machine for MV. Windows 7 32-bit requires 1 GB RAM; 2 GB for 64-bit. RMMV's engine is still primarily single-threaded so I don't think a multi-core CPU is particularly necessary for good performance; 2.9 GHz is pretty fast.
  3. Pretty sure a Steam license allows as many installations for personal use as you like, so no need to buy another copy~
    You may use your Steam account on any machine which can connect to the Steam network - Steam allows you to download and install any games registered to your account as soon as you log in.
    Source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8963-EIKC-3767#multiple

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What is your favourite rpg maker plugin?
Hopefully this gets fixed before release..
Where's this sudden heatwave come from? It's not even sunny, it's just hot. Hate it!
I'm slightly disappointed that the MZ codebase still uses core.js, managers.js, objects.js, scenes.js, sprites.js and windows.js instead of core/Bitmap.js, core/Graphics.js, managers/AudioManager.js, managers/DataManager.js, etc...
just a few more hours until the toughest, most pressure 72 hours of my life, wish me luck guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rate61