RMMV Harold's MineSweeper '98

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by mogwai, Mar 16, 2017.

1. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    I know I said I was leaving, but in the one day I was gone from the forum, I broke out into creative productivity and made a whole game. I'll linger back off into the shadows again after this thread is up.

:hhappy: I'm up for the challenge of writing a 350 word synopsis about Windows98 MineSweeper. :D

Synopsis:
    I'm just going to post a link to the official MineSweeper wiki and paraphrase most of what I have read there since this game is not my invention. MineSweeper is a computer game that was invented in the 1960's. It is played by selecting and flagging spaces in a virtual minefield. If you select a mine bomb you lose the game, but if you can successfully flag all the mine bombs, you win. The numbered spaces in the minefield provide numbers of how many mine bombs neighbor that space, to help you guess where the mine bombs are.
    The earliest ancestor of MineSweeper in the 1960's was called Jerimac Ratliff's Cube. In the 1980's it was called Mined Out, Quicksilva, Yomp, Cube, and RLogic also known as Relentless Logic. MineSweeper is also a mini game in the MMORPG Runescape called VineSweeper and another PC game called Mole Creek Annual Mole Control. In Mario, it's known as Coincentration. In Pokemon, it's called Voltorb Flip. In MineCraft, it's called MineScreeper. There is also a MineSweeper mini game in Fifa '11. In phones it's also known as MineSweeper, or MineHunt, KMines, and GnoMines. In other X11 Os's it's known as XBomb. In Japan they refer to it as Tentaizu. It's also a popular graphic calculator game, again called MineHunt.
    Getting back to my own game, Harold's MineSweeper '98, I based this on the MineSweeper I used to play in Windows '98. (I actually only had Windows '95, but the blue gradient 98 window top, look is more well known as the 1990's computer look; that and the striped black-and-white Mac Os 9 which I had in college). There is no end to this game. The first level has just 9 mine bombs, so it's real easy and the mine bombs increase by 9 or double from level 1 with each level. Like the real MineSweeper, it's pretty much just a fun little time waster, but this has music and effects from RPG Maker so it's more stimulating. I actually wrote this game twice in the same day. At first I wrote this HTML MineSweeper on my blog and then I was so pleased with how it turned out, I decided to remake it in RPG Maker MV.
    The game stars Harold and the default cast of heros and baddies. There is no real story, just puzzle after puzzle. I didn't write this very plug-and-play, but if you would like to gut the script in this game, to make a puzzle for your own games, you have my permission. It's not encrypted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Instructions
    • Flag all the bombs to win. Right click a space or press shift to flag a space.
    • You cannot have extra flags. You must only flag the bombs.
    • Left click or press the "ok" button to sweep for bombs.
    • If you do this on a bomb, you die.
    • Use the numbered spaces to guess where the bombs are.
    • They tell you how many bombs touch that space.
    Genre
    RPG - Complete puzzles to level up...
    Puzzle Game?

Flavor

I think Old School? because it's a 1960's computer game.
    Retro Computer Game, but the animations and sounds make it seem a little humorous to me; I don't know why.

Mac Version (.DMG)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Wl5t3fnFXGN2NFcm5yY2ZkT0E

Windows Version (.ZIP)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Wl5t3fnFXGb1lQcXdCUF83Yzg

I added an online version so you don't have to download 130mbs.
    Play Online
    http://jakeis.com/HarloldMS98/www/
    (the online version is corrected too, but it still says Harlold in the URL for Google crawling reasons.)

Credits

• Bill Gates for bringing me this game in the 90's.
    • RPG Maker MV RTP

April 10th, 2017. I uploaded a different version.

I corrected the odd Harlold spelling and it even changed back to Harlold for some reason. I made the bad guys call him HarLOLd as an inside joke to this. If I find the guy changing my spelling, I'm gonna punch his nose.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    AskaRay, Leanne and captainsteff like this.
  2. MRHAPPYFACEMAN

MRHAPPYFACEMAN Story Writer and Plot Development Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Dude, this looks like such a frickin' cool idea! ha ha. Can't wait to try it out!

3. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks. Glad to see people can still get excited about an age old time-waster.

I'm so sick of playing Minesweeper from all the testing. I want to kill this game with fire.

MRHAPPYFACEMAN likes this.
  4. MRHAPPYFACEMAN

MRHAPPYFACEMAN Story Writer and Plot Development Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    ha ha

5. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I changed it to Harold and even took a screenshot.
    [​IMG]

And right as I was about to re-upload, it became HarLOLd again.

I also discovered a bug that causes you to jump in place if you click more than once. Hopefully it's fixed. I really don't wanna mess with this game anymore.