Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there fellow RPG Makers!

Like the title says I am looking for people who want to make a Harry Potter RPG Game with me. If you like Harry Potter, or just wizards and witches, read on and perhaps we will be working with each other very soon! As I am just starting out it is too much work to do all 7/8 parts, therefore I think it is best to start with part 1 (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone).

Engine: RPG Maker VX Ace

Summary: For those of you who don't know Harry Potter (and the Sorcerer's Stone) you will find a little information below.

Albus Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall and Hagrid meet oustide the home of the Dursleys (Harry's only family). Harry's Parents have been killed by Voldemort, but Voldemort was not able to kill Harry. Albus Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall and Hagrid leave baby Harry at the door of the Dursley home. Ten years later, Harry lives a terrible life and is bullied by the son of the Dursleys, Dudley. Some day, mysterious letters start arriving for Harry, but Mr. Dursley tries to keep them from Harry, unsuccessfully. The Dursleys and Harry run away to an secluded island but Hagrid comes storming in one night. He tells Harry that he is a wizard and that he is allowed to come to Hogwarts.

I notice that if I want to give a whole summary the post will be way too long, therefore I will include this link if you wish to read on:
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/harrypotter/summary/
Synopsis: The game will be mostly based on the movie and/or other Harry Potter games. What this means is that you will follow the life of Harry Potter, but you will also be able to play as different characters when this happens in the movie(s).
Gameplay features I wish to implement are:
  • Using spells outside battles (Take for example the spell to open locks (Alohomora), you can use this spell outside battles (even though this example does not have any use in a battle), when you have learned it to unlock areas you could previously not get to)
  • Hidden rooms/items (Just like the Room of Requirement, there are more hidden rooms in Hogwarts, these are hidden across the whole game and can be found at many moments, most of the time you will need a certain spell or a certain character to find it, but sometimes it just requires you to take a good look)
  • Replaying 'quests' as different characters than normal (When you have finished the game you can replay it but choose to take another character you unlocked with you in battle, this will lead to unlocking new areas and gives the game a different way of playing (because not all characters know the same spells for example))
  • Resembling the movie as much as possible (this is the main goal of the game and this should most of all be the cutscenes that should resemble the original, the gameplay can be (slightly) different based on how well it can be implemented)
  • Puzzles (There are many puzzles in the Harry Potter series, because I do not wish to spoil the series much I will just name it as the 'Chess game', there are many of those and give the player a break from the normal game)
  • Choosing your own names (Even though it should represent the series, it is still a RPG, therefore the player is able to (re)name the characters when they are unlocked)
The whole idea of the game is that you follow the whole story of Harry Potter but in a RPG way, this means that you can level up, learn new spells (just like in the original story) and customize your game.

Positions/Roles needed: As this game should resemble Harry Potter it requires many different things, below you can find more information
  • Artist(s): A lot of art has to be made to make this resemble Harry Potter, think about character sprites, faces, busts, those explicit Harry Potter elements (take for example Fluffy, you won't see that in any 'basic' tileset) and perhaps tilesets to make it resemble Harry Potter even more.
  • Musician(s): When you make a Harry Potter game you, of course, have to include the Harry Potter music, therefore musicians are needed to compose and change it in such a way that it can be used in a RPG game.
  • Writer: Because the story already exist this isn't much of a need, but it can always be useful to have someone that can change it to just that way such that it gets better.
  • Programmer(s): To make this game resemble Harry Potter as much as possible I expect that it will need (a lot of) scripts/plug-ins to change a lot. For this, programmers are needed.
  • Mapper(s): The world of Harry Potter consists of a lot of maps, therefore I am in need of mappers who (preferably) know Harry Potter and can resemble it as much as possible.
My Role(s)/Position(s): I am capable of mapping and 'writing' the story, I can also program a little bit but that should not be my main concern.

I hope this has given you enough information and made you so enthusiastic that you are willing to help me get this game off the ground. If that is the case please send a message in this thread or feel free to send me a private message!

Greetings,

JustinK

Last edited:

Kim_Shyuen

DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Harry Potter fans here!!!!
I really like the features specially "using spells outside battle":kaoluv:

Unluckily I don't have time as school works and already joined another team.

Great wishes for your project!:beard

JustinK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Harry Potter fans here!!!!
I really like the features specially "using spells outside battle":kaoluv:

Unluckily I don't have time as school works and already joined another team.

Great wishes for your project!:beard
Aha thanks! Well, it should represent the original so that had to be in it for sure. Too bad you don't have the time but I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you!

JustinK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump
Anyone who is reading this thread and is thinking something like: 'hmm, I hope they will implement something like this' or 'I hope they will also do this', please post it here. It has to resemble the original as much as possible but it also has to be lovable and needs good features. So please, whenever you have an idea or just something to say about it, please let it know!

JustinK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump
I am currently busy with writing the dialogues and summarizing the story. Also, I am writing down certain events and how they should work. The one big problem is, to get this thing really running I need the artwork to make it resemble the original. If you feel like you are able to do (some of) it or just wish to share something, please contact me in some way!

JustinK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump
Apparantly the word 'bump' is invented by Shakespeare.

JustinK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump
I am thinking about how to implement battles in the game. When the original is represented as much as possible there will hardly be any battles. Maybe something like a friendly battle request to other students? Or random encounters in the forest, but I do not know what enemies I would have to put there?

JustinK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump
It's been a while, lately I have been very busy with a lot of other things, therefore the progress has been slow. Therefore it would be really nice if anytime soon someone feels like they can help me with this project. If you think you can or want to help, please leave me a message!

xDiego

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi there, Currently I also have a Harry Potter project on my Deviantart page. Check look in my Profile Page

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@xDiego It is generally considered highly inappropriate to advertize one's own project on someone else's thread. I have, therefore, removed your link. If you are offering to join the OP's project, then that needs to be said clearly, stating what position you think you might fill.

Nighthawkies

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Estonian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello

If A mapping position is available I would be interested in it

I am quite new but i have been searching for a project to best myself and get renown on the rpg maker community.

I am acquaintedwith the harry potter series so that should not be too much of a problem.

I think this project has great potential.

Last edited:

Nighthawkies

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Estonian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello there fellow RPG Makers!

Like the title says I am looking for people who want to make a Harry Potter RPG Game with me. If you like Harry Potter, or just wizards and witches, read on and perhaps we will be working with each other very soon! As I am just starting out it is too much work to do all 7/8 parts, therefore I think it is best to start with part 1 (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone).

Engine: RPG Maker MV/RPG Maker VX Ace (Can be discussed)

Summary: For those of you who don't know Harry Potter (and the Sorcerer's Stone) you will find a little information below.

Albus Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall and Hagrid meet oustide the home of the Dursleys (Harry's only family). Harry's Parents have been killed by Voldemort, but Voldemort was not able to kill Harry. Albus Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall and Hagrid leave baby Harry at the door of the Dursley home. Ten years later, Harry lives a terrible life and is bullied by the son of the Dursleys, Dudley. Some day, mysterious letters start arriving for Harry, but Mr. Dursley tries to keep them from Harry, unsuccessfully. The Dursleys and Harry run away to an secluded island but Hagrid comes storming in one night. He tells Harry that he is a wizard and that he is allowed to come to Hogwarts.

I notice that if I want to give a whole summary the post will be way too long, therefore I will include this link if you wish to read on:
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/harrypotter/summary/
Synopsis: The game will be mostly based on the movie and/or other Harry Potter games. What this means is that you will follow the life of Harry Potter, but you will also be able to play as different characters when this happens in the movie(s).
Gameplay features I wish to implement are:
  • Using spells outside battles (Take for example the spell to open locks (Alohomora), you can use this spell outside battles (even though this example does not have any use in a battle), when you have learned it to unlock areas you could previously not get to)
  • Hidden rooms/items (Just like the Room of Requirement, there are more hidden rooms in Hogwarts, these are hidden across the whole game and can be found at many moments, most of the time you will need a certain spell or a certain character to find it, but sometimes it just requires you to take a good look)
  • Replaying 'quests' as different characters than normal (When you have finished the game you can replay it but choose to take another character you unlocked with you in battle, this will lead to unlocking new areas and gives the game a different way of playing (because not all characters know the same spells for example))
  • Resembling the movie as much as possible (this is the main goal of the game and this should most of all be the cutscenes that should resemble the original, the gameplay can be (slightly) different based on how well it can be implemented)
  • Puzzles (There are many puzzles in the Harry Potter series, because I do not wish to spoil the series much I will just name it as the 'Chess game', there are many of those and give the player a break from the normal game)
  • Choosing your own names (Even though it should represent the series, it is still a RPG, therefore the player is able to (re)name the characters when they are unlocked)
The whole idea of the game is that you follow the whole story of Harry Potter but in a RPG way, this means that you can level up, learn new spells (just like in the original story) and customize your game.

Positions/Roles needed: As this game should resemble Harry Potter it requires many different things, below you can find more information
  • Artist(s): A lot of art has to be made to make this resemble Harry Potter, think about character sprites, faces, busts, those explicit Harry Potter elements (take for example Fluffy, you won't see that in any 'basic' tileset) and perhaps tilesets to make it resemble Harry Potter even more.
  • Musician(s): When you make a Harry Potter game you, of course, have to include the Harry Potter music, therefore musicians are needed to compose and change it in such a way that it can be used in a RPG game.
  • Writer: Because the story already exist this isn't much of a need, but it can always be useful to have someone that can change it to just that way such that it gets better.
  • Programmer(s): To make this game resemble Harry Potter as much as possible I expect that it will need (a lot of) scripts/plug-ins to change a lot. For this, programmers are needed.
  • Mapper(s): The world of Harry Potter consists of a lot of maps, therefore I am in need of mappers who (preferably) know Harry Potter and can resemble it as much as possible.
My Role(s)/Position(s): I am capable of mapping and 'writing' the story, I can also program a little bit but that should not be my main concern.

I hope this has given you enough information and made you so enthusiastic that you are willing to help me get this game off the ground. If that is the case please send a message in this thread or feel free to send me a private message!

Greetings,

JustinK
Are you still working on the project?
Your account does not seem very active
Even if I can not join your team i still think this project sounds great and am eager to see it progress

Nighthawkies

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Estonian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Bump
I am thinking about how to implement battles in the game. When the original is represented as much as possible there will hardly be any battles. Maybe something like a friendly battle request to other students? Or random encounters in the forest, but I do not know what enemies I would have to put there?
The requesting other students to a duel sounds interesting although it is strange the school would allow that...
It could also be like pokemon trainer encounters
Well harry potter has a multitude of "Fantastic Beasts" but few of them would really be wizard killers unless it has 5 x's
But some would react aggressively in some situations like we cast a spell that disturbs it or its children or we go into their land
But the main character would seem like pretty evil for fighting them so you would have to have stuff to peacefully subdue them.

Btw your multiple character and secret room idea sounds interesting and would be a nice way to add repeatability and more content

JustinK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Due to new interest in this project I started working on it again. What I am mainly looking for are artists to make the characters etc. Because0sO16.jpg

Jae

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey! Any artists needed?

I'm not really good with sprites, but I would love doing some illustrations!! Or maybe even programming? I hope "programming" is not about scripts? LMAO

Please contact me if you want any help, I would love work in this project!!!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well the roles of musician and write have caught my eye. Artist too though I don't know about sprite art, I'm just an inker and flat colorist. Digitally of course.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And also I have RPG Maker MV. VX Ace too, but that is only for conversions. I don't use VX Ace for developing. Only MV. So I can also be a tester for each build?

xDiego

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Check my deviantart profile: <--snip-->

Last edited by a moderator:

JustinK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Jae Thanks for your interest in the project! Artists are always needed and very much appreciated, I would really enjoy having you on the team.
Because the game is still in a very early state, programming is something that is not on the to-do list yet. However, when time passes and this changes, you can always decide to start doing programming.

You can send me a private message, then we can discuss further.

@SightseeingWolf17 I like that you are interested in the project. If you are capable of composing music and such, that would be great, as it will make the game resemble Harry Potter so much more.
As already mentioned, a writer is not that important, because there already is a source for the text in the series. However, a writer is still necessary to adjust it to fit the game and to compare the movies and the books.
Artists are always needed and the more the better, as you can probably image a lot has to be selfmade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Realizing my earlier maps are an abomination against all things, I'm doing a bit of a remake. Tell me if you can see the difference. :LZSwink:

And the horrific before pics...

Last part of OcRam Obfuscator sneek peaks!
YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradzackyle