Harry Potter remake! Interested?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WilliamCaesar, Oct 28, 2015.

1. WilliamCaesar

WilliamCaesar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    so you say I must ask everyone I borrow from billips?

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can't delete posts.  If you accidentally double post something (the internet can do that to you sometimes) simply report that post (the Report button is bottom right, near the MultiQuote button and explain what happened and it will be sorted out for you. 

3. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    The law doesn't have a concept of "borrowing" other people's content without their permission.

4. WilliamCaesar

First Language:
    Swedish
    So Amy IF someone have put out some charters on the internet can i just take them?

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    What you have to do is check the terms of use. If people post resources on here, some are free for non-commercial games only, and some are free for commerical games too. Some require perimssion for commercial use. So it depends on the terms of use. If no terms of use are stated clearly, I'd say avoid the resource. It might stink now (I remember how many different resources I had to discard when I was starting out, then realizing I just spent 3 hours to find one tile that I could use), but it wil be much easier going later on.

However, if the resource is from a game or a random internet site, that is called a rip, and is illegal. We actually don't support rips here, so I'd have no idea on when (or if) it could be legal, but IF you have permission from the company that owns the resources then it should be fine. But in that case it is best to get permissoin.

And be careful of random internet google searches. We found a few of them earlier this year didn't have legal resources either (se the post on Resouce blacklist, one classic one with illegal resources is the really large icon sheet). For that reason, I'd only use resources posted here on the forum for others to use.

WilliamCaesar likes this.
  6. WilliamCaesar

First Language:
    Swedish
    Thx billips I will think about this! Jk Rowling she had two things you can't do if you borrow Harry and the hogwarts story! 1. You can't make money on the game! 2. You can't make Harry Potter and granger and everyone naked! Was it this you mean about ask and check before use?

7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Pretty much.

8. WilliamCaesar

First Language:
    Swedish
    bgillisp you want to help me and rpgmaker20021 do a world map Harry Potter?

9. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I wish I could, but between work and a project and a book that is due soon I'm overbooked right now :(

10. WilliamCaesar

First Language:
    Swedish
    Ok bgillisp! I'm thankful for all the tips!

11. Hikari_Jake

Hikari_Jake Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd be very interested in continuing the series instead of remaking the GBC games, which still hold up very well imo

Like, Goblet of Fire would be awesome as an RPG. The dragon, the lake segment, a maze, and an epic showdown against Voldemort. That would be amazing!

And people who say you will get into legal trouble: that's very unlikely. They really won't give a sheep about a fangame. It's the same as fanart and fanfiction; in fact, if I remember correctly, JK Rowling herself said she's happy that people are interested in writing stories based on her characters.

12. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Hikari: It depends on the company. Hence the warning.  I personally don't know what JK Rowling has said about Harry Potter and what she feels about it, but it is always good to check, else you will spend years on a Chrono Trigger remake or fan game just to get a C and D within days of releasing it (which has happened).

13. WilliamCaesar

First Language:
    Swedish
    @Hikari_jake it's a very good idea but we had think to make a 4 or a 6. 6 whould only be talking all the time and 4 super hard maps and a lot talking! We are going to have the maps in a world map Harry Potter. You can go to the lake and go to the labyrinth it whould probably be a quest about a girl that is gone! But it whould be incredible hard to make Harry Potter 4-6, why do you think they stop after 3?

14. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    They didn't stop after Prisoner of Azkaban. I have a Goblet of Fire game on my handheld. 

15. WilliamCaesar

First Language:
    Swedish
    They did stop with the gbc games

16. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Personally, to be safest I would set the entire game so you're NOT using HP characters.  The books DID allude to American Wizards as well.

If I did a fantasy HP-esque RPG, I would take a serious look at the Egyptian Enchanters who went into hiding after the Age of the Pharaohs, who helped magically create the Pyramids, find water in the desert and so on.

After all, it IS genuine history that, in Ancient Egypt, the religious beliefs WERE deeply intertwined with the government, so you could have a LOT to milk there for fascinating looks at HP-esque magic in a profoundly different culture. 

Hmmm.  I might have to do that.    I think it would be legal as long as I don't explicitly SAY I'm in the HP world, or interact with ANY of the HP characters.  To be safe, I might just end up creating an entire world out of whole cloth anyways.  It's more fun for me since I enjoy world building :-D

17. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Because there were newer handheld consoles, yes. Not because the games were hard to make, after PoA as you seem to suggest ;)

For the OP: I think the best thing is to actually contact JK Rowling. She's given her OK for fanfiction as long a it adheres to a few rules. It might be different for fan games though, which is why asking is the best thing to do ^^

18. WilliamCaesar

First Language:
    Swedish
    Yeah mabye that too but in 4-6 It's a lot of talking and the game whould be very short! But if mabye you can have 4-6 year too one game it whould mabye be as long as Harry Potter 3

19. rpgmaker20221

rpgmaker20221 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Cool discussion :)

So to sort things out how many are interested in continuing the series for the handheld gbc harry potter games?

20. WilliamCaesar

First Language:
    Swedish
    I am!!!!!!!