Harvest Moon Style Event Based Time System Tutorial

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
      This is a tutorial for people who want a easy and flexible non-scripted time system based off of “Harvest Moon” for the Super Nintendo. The purpose of this tutorial is to teach you how to make your own time based system using events, resources and my custom eventing methods. Resources and content used in this project are free for non-commercial use. Commercial use is allowed but credit and a license for resources is required. PM me and or CWGlassMusic for any further questions regarding commercial licensing for custom resources used in this project.

- Instead of 12 months, there are only 4 Months in a year that represent each season in game. Each second in real time is a minute in game time. I felt that 120 days was a more reasonable number to set up for a game than 365 days considering the fact we will want each day to have unique content, but not over whelming amounts of it.

- There are 3 different colored portals that appear in the demo on different days designed to teach the user how to trigger events based on what day it is. Day 2 will spawn a red portal which will vanish on any other day than Day 2. Day 3 will spawn a blue portal which will vanish on any other day than Day 3. Day 4 will spawn a green portal which will vanish on any other day than Day 4.

- By interacting with the demo and project data with RMVXAce, the user will get a understanding of how the engine works.

- The time settings are controlled in the common events as well as events on maps as shown in the screen shot here : 2015-01-15 21_18_19-Database.png

- Since the “Harvest Moon Style Event Based Time System” is event based only and uses no custom scripts, there should be absolutely no compatibility issues making this engine highly customizable.

- There are some custom graphic I made for the timer and rain drop effects.

- There are two sound tracks for the day and night time transitions, credits due to CWGlassMusic.

- The “Harvest Moon Style Event Based Time System” project demo is user friendly and will help guide the user to understand how the engine works by studying how each event works through NPC interactions and dialogue. However, it is important to know how the following elements of the engine will work :

Variable 0001 = Year
Variable 0002 = Day
Variable 0003 = Hour
Variable 0004 = Minute
Variable 0005 = Second

(Switches below are used in common events.)

Switch 0032 = Active Time Settings (This switch controls the global tint settings and time settings found in the common events.)
Switch 0056 = Day Checker (This switch checks what day it is and controls the icon/text hud settings in the upper right corner of the screen.)
Switch 0057 = Time Start (This switch enables the in-game timer.)
Switch 0058 = Exterior Cells (If this switch is turned on, then tint setting for exterior cells is turned on and settings for interior cells is turned off. If this switch is turned off, then tint settings for interior cells is turned on and exterior cells is turned off.)

Downloads :

Harvest Moon Style Time System No RTP.exe : https://www.mediafire.com/?d3tkc308iu67d7r 6.15MB

Harvest Moon Style Time System RTP.exe : http://www.mediafire.com/download/26euo6mvb8rch71/Harvest+Moon+Style+Time+System+RTP.exe 192.69MB

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Took a look through it, like the way you set up the rain (though anyone who uses it needs to make sure they don't put the drops on a location where they will be spawning in sight of the player).

It's good, if anyone needs help setting up an evented farming system to go with this I can help with that.

(I'm not in a position to listen to the music right now)

Last edited by a moderator:

jamzkie143

CuteGranny
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi, this is awesome! I've been trying to figure out how to handle time. I will learn a lot from this. Also, about the link with the RTP... it still goes to the NO RTP link. :) Please update. Thanks!

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi, this is awesome! I've been trying to figure out how to handle time. I will learn a lot from this. Also, about the link with the RTP... it still goes to the NO RTP link. :) Please update. Thanks!
Hi jamzkie143, glad you like this tutorial. I updated the link, thanks for telling me about the error. I Hope this tutorial will teach you well, let me know if you have any questions and thanks for your interest.

jamzkie143

CuteGranny
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Awesome. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Realizing my earlier maps are an abomination against all things, I'm doing a bit of a remake. Tell me if you can see the difference. :LZSwink:

And the horrific before pics...

Last part of OcRam Obfuscator sneek peaks!
YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradzackyle