KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know this is similar to my "Sequel" thread: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/making-a-sequel.117364/#post-1036715
and there a thread that already asked this question: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/games-who-share-the-same-universe.46289/

I am curious if there are anymore people who have attempted to connect their games together. The two games I made: "Path of the Martyrs" and "The Heart's Fallacy" do take place in the same world but are loosely connected. (Those games are in my signature) Although you could experience one without the other, but experiencing both may heighten one's understanding/appreciation for the world.
As I stated above has anyone tried to make their own expanded universe?

Kovos_Datch

Potatomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually, this is something I've been working on for my newest series. I don't have anything that is fully planned out, but I am working on the nations of the world, some quirks of the people who live there, perhaps a bit of history, and story arcs for different games that will take place in my world.

Again, nothing is super fleshed out at the moment, but it is something I am going to keep adding onto as I go.

StarkSnow

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ever since I read The Dark Tower and learned how Stephen King links all his stories together I've been trying to do the same in my games. Most of my games take place in completely different universes but characters still find their way where they don't belong. I like to carry over both themes / universal mechanics (how magic works or Sci-Fi tech) and specific characters.

In the context of a Video game you can do a lot of neat things with the idea of cross-over. Using Stephen King's writing for the base of an example you might have a mid-level monster. In the context of a fantasy RPG this thing isn't too much trouble to take down, but now what if that thing somehow found it's way into a world like ours. Now you have a horror game.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@StarkSnow The monster appear in a more domestic situation is definitely an interesting use of monsters. I had something similar with my game, "The Heart's Fallacy" where a supernatural monster is invading people's dreams. If that monster was in my other game, "Path of the Martyrs" it would be a little less scary because the characters can actually properly combat such a creature. Although all my universe's activity stay within two planes of existences.

Kovos_Datch

Potatomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the idea of a cross-plane monster, but those types of tropes only work in certain situations and certain genres. You definitely have to be careful when it comes to things like that because, if not done properly, could end in a break in immersion, or a rough spot in the game where players just shrug and grimace a bit.

But I've always fantasized about a larger multiverse as a part of my games. It's not that I'm against the idea of a multiverse, it's just that it has to be done VERY carefully.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Yes, my fantasy and post-apocalyptic games both take place in the same universe, but not the same planet. In my fantasy one, the main character and his party can interact with a fortune teller. He tells them multiple futures, one featuring my two post-apocalyptic characters killing some mutants. He notices, and says "Oops, that wasn't right. Sometimes the orb picks up other people's destinies instead, I'll just give it a whack" and smacks the fortune-telling orb a few times. It's just a small little reference, and if you've never played the post-apocalyptic one you'd never get it.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kovos_Datch I don't plan to have something like the Marvel or DC where they have multiple dimensions. I am only having two.

@cthulhusquid Your game sounds like the Trails series mixed with Tales of Graces. Although I like how your nods to your other games, I have those types of nods in my games as well.

Kovos_Datch

Potatomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KazukiT It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your system, which is vital to world building.

Honestly, I need to flesh my world out more beforeI progress too heavily with my game or else it will fall flat. I'm glad I decided to drop into this conversation because this is giving me ideas ^_^

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KazukiT It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your system, which is vital to world building.

Honestly, I need to flesh my world out more beforeI progress too heavily with my game or else it will fall flat. I'm glad I decided to drop into this conversation because this is giving me ideas ^_^
A strong foundation is essential for an expanded universe's success. Although everything I know is from observing the Legend of Heroes series and some youtube videos on world building. If you want to learn more about that you cna check out videos by Hello Future Me: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFQMO-YL87u-6Rt8hIVsRjA

Kovos_Datch

Potatomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A strong foundation is essential for an expanded universe's success. Although everything I know is from observing the Legend of Heroes series and some youtube videos on world building. If you want to learn more about that you cna check out videos by Hello Future Me: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFQMO-YL87u-6Rt8hIVsRjA
Thank you for sharing this with me. I will have to check this out in the near future! I really appreciate it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've developed a habit of thanking cleaning ladies for their work.
Sorry Aerith... I will abandon your shoes... :guffaw:
Spent a whole bunch of time today reworking the area in the video because someone said it was too illusory. So I reworked it so it changes less, moved the grass up to the same level as the player.... And found enough extra resources to make the grass moves when the player touches it. Also lots more water, because it looks amazing. I'll probably put up a short updated video later today.
I never noticed how NOISY birds can be in the morning..
The worst part of writing the thesis is getting to a point where it's nearly done and you feel like an 8th-grader could've written something on that level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stearen