Has Anyone Made Their Game Bug-Free?

Orgaya

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Every time someone new plays my game, they always encounter some kind of bizarre bug that I've never experienced before, usually in ways that never occurred to me to attempt. And despite trying to be as thorough as possible, they always get through.

So, has anyone made a game completely free of bugs and oversights? And follow up question, anyone have any horror stories of watching someone play your game and run into a series of experience ruining bugs?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A "bug-free" game is basically a myth, it doesn't exist. Even professional games that make betatesting with thousands of users still have bugs in them at release - and no one making a game around here has that option of hundreds of game testers.

It is theoretically possible to make a bug-free RM game by taking advantage of the default features being tested in a lot of games, but as soon as you begin adding plugins/scripts that advantage also goes out of the window.
And nothing can protect you from mistakes that are not covered in the engine but the result of mapping problems or mistakes in event code.

I suggest you follow the link "bughunting" in my signature to learn more about how to reduce the number of bugs in your game.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Depends from the complexity of the game you are making, from how you keep track of everything you do into it, from how much you playtest, and you need to playtest and make someone playtest it for you if you want to avoid any bugs.

Technically my game should be completely bug-free but mostly because I'm an obsessive compulsive perfectionist and because it's short, simple and I had someone that tested it a lot.

What I reccomend is to do a lot of testing by yourself and also hire some additional testers for it (the more complex is the game, the more testers you might need), try to keep track of everything you add/change into it and playtestplaytestplaytest (untill you will hate the game).
Of course at the end there might still be a few mistakes left, it's impossible to not make any, we are not machines. :p

gub

you're loser.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There is no such thing as a bug-free game. Even in AAA circles where teams of hundreds of talented developers work tirelessly for 5+ years, and tens of alpha/beta/QA testers revise the game endlessly.
But, as it has already been said, it's technically possible to make a bare bones,by-the-numbers RPG Maker game with the default features and while it may be bug-free, It will have many,many flaws that I won't repeat here.
You've already made a game, then your debugging priority should be huge game-breaking bugs. Small oversights are an unavoidable thing, and sometimes, in my opinion, show that a real person poured his heart into making this thing.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You may think your game is bug-free, but eventually weird bugs will surface, again...and again...AND AGAIN.
My Demon Hunter game has been out for a few years now, and to this day I'll get bug reports like:

"After X boss, the game just freezes!" and I sit there completely dumbfounded considering that boss is a part of the main storyline and tons of other people never ran into issues after that boss. I keep running into a similar situation with my current project, where apparently the main character just completely disappears during a cutscene and doesn't show up again until it's over, making the whole scene look super weird because the NPC's are talking to nothing. I've combed over the event like 50,000 times and there is absolutely NO reason that should be happening, but it does. * Shrug *

Cunechan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
humans aren't perfect and so games aren't as they're made by humans. I agree with Andar, if it really stays in the 'playground' engine basis it is most certainly possible with hella lot of help and experience. But games that are made from scratch (as in completely programmed), or games that go beyond that basic lines there will always be something. I think it's possible, but not even necessary to achieve a completely bug free game since it's nearly impossible, but it improves the gaming experience. I've played some flash games for example that seemed bug free ^^ As some other members said it's also about complexity and length of the game.

When I do betatesting or test my own game, I try to do exactly what the dev doesn't want me to do and try to break every single bone of the poor little project. And not forgetting that bugs aren't the only things betatesters have to look out for. But when im searching for bugs only i go to every corner and try out everything in attempt to break the game. Yet there'll always be bugs even if I think I saw everything xD

mogwai

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You remind me to fix my Minesweeper thing, but I'm too lazy. If you click multiple times on different spaces, Harold just appears there. This has to do with how RMMV handles _x and _y setting. This is a huge bug. I also spelled it Harlold too. I'm not worried about it though because I don't think anyone is that interested in Minesweeper.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lol no such thing as 100% bug free. I was working on a *simple* game to submit for contest and it took 3 months and gobs of tears. Now I had testers out the wazoo attempt to do every crazy thing they can think of to break it since even 1 error would mean instant rejection.
Now everything looks good. Squashed all the bugs. Now sent it off. They run it. An hour in a BIG game breaking bug appears! The tester went to the *left* of the guillotine ( everyone else went to the *right* every single time. )
Yeah can't win them all.
It happens.

Last edited:

Roden124

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I had testers out the wazoo attempt to do every crazy thing they can think of to break it since even 1 error would mean instant rejection.
(Story)
Yeah can't win them all.
You were so thorough, too. That's a case of tragic luck if I ever heard one today.

I once had a similar experience by way of doing the opposite. My submission was made in Unity, and I convinced myself I was the only tester necessary. I wouldn't say I was wrong to think so at the time-- I personally tried everything an army of testers would and the game became as polished as a marble ball. It all played great...

In Unity. Not so much elsewhere.

For whatever reason, the game calculated enemy speed differently after exportation. So, while I designed a reasonable challenge under the breeze of a snuggie and a smug mug of hot chocolate, players were greeted with rocket-speed foes that could obliterate them within the first few seconds of the game.

The moral of the story is, be charitable and share your game with friends before distributing it to the public. :3
If it's far too late to do any of that, the least you should do is check your freakin' executable. @w@

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I convinced myself I was the only tester necessary. I wouldn't say I was wrong to think so at the time-- I personally tried everything an army of testers would and the game became as polished as a marble ball.
If it's far too late to do any of that, the least you should do is check your freakin' executable. @w@
(^_-) that's an why you get friends random folks your mom to test your work. You can only do so much mate ^_^ And have other computers handy to test on if you have machines lying around. I have few machines to work with - a 10, 7, 5 and 3 year old. (the latest is the one I program on lol). Whatever works without killing it becomes my minimum requirements.:-D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!
'Tis the season to see shipping prices and go 'Yikes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UGANDAN_KNUCKLES