Has anyone played this title? (Terranigma for SNES)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PedroVGM, Jul 10, 2016.

1. PedroVGM

PedroVGM Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Wow this title is so underrated that is hardly understandable, in fact I think this game could have been quite a good competitor for big games like tales of symphonia or kingdom hearts, this of course, if it had had way a better marketing and sequels or at least a remake. What do you guys think of it? This is my article of the game.

http://pedroninblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/underrated-jewels-terranigma-snes.html

terranigmas0004ea8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
  2. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have played it and it never got a release in the States, which is sad.  I LOVE Terranigma.  Beat it and the ending was very good.

Zeriab and Susan like this.
  3. Zak

Zak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    What makes Terranigma great is its story and the shocking moments. One of the best Action-RPGs on the Super Nintendo.

Der Crysta-Theme (= Main Theme) is one of the true masterpieces of SNES Sound Engineering.

4. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    I've never finished it up, but such an awesome game. I love the music in general, and the main town specifically. I've fallen asleep to that music.

PedroVGM likes this.
  5. Authumbla

Authumbla Listen To My Soundcloud Fam? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Terranigma is a fantastic game even though I never actually finished it (...or got very far in it...). Combat in it felt a lot more fresh than in most ARPGs, and the storyline is super cool.

6. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ... This game was never released in the US? Oh my god, you poor people over there :( It was one of the first games I played and I still listen to the soundtrack today, because it is STILL awesome. Also the story and the characters and... EVERYTHING. Whoever like RPGs and has not played it yet has to do it. Do not wait for a remake (because square will screw it up like they will do with the FF7 episode stuff), just play the original. In todays world getting a copy from anywhere shouldn't be a problem at all :)

7. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    As an American, I never heard of it.

It does seem cool though, I'll check it out.

8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I played it way back when (we had a video game shop that dealt with imported titles and such), and honestly didn't think it was that bad or good. Still had some fun with it, but felt the story became a complete mess around Chapter 3 (or part 3 or however they divided things in that game). Also felt the balance was way off, one or two levels under where you should be and enemies kill you by breathing on you, and one or two levels over where you are supposed to be enemies did such low damage you didn't care about them. I saw this in action big time in the final battle, where I was taking about 10 - 15% of my HP on every hit when I first got there (which was bad as most attacks were multi-hit in that battle), gained a few levels, and every hit did 1 - 2 HP (and I had about 500+ HP).

9. Accendor

Accendor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I can not agree on the balancing part. There was actually only one point in the game that was totally unbalanced. At some point you had to fight a witch in a tower and you had to be level 25 at that point. If you are only level 24 you were only doing 1 damage all the time with each attack. Level 25 and you instantly do full damage. Yeah, that was not perfect, but still, the rest of the game was so awesome.

10. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I never played Terranigma myself, but I watched my brother play it through many years ago (I used to watch him play RPGs a lot in the past). Due to that I naturally can't comment on the game play aspects, but I found its story quite interesting and memorable: it definitely wasn't as cheerful and light-hearted as some of the other games I used to play/watch back then. There is especially one part/event in the story which still creeps me out a bit:

The desert city of Louran - and what it turns out to be after you sleep in the inn and wake up.

11. PedroVGM

PedroVGM Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Now I saw your comments and since they are that many I will come with a broad answer. This game is at least to me one of those games which could have been potentially powerful in the game industry if it has had received more attention. My reasons would be that it has a very original storyline and it is very different from what I use to see in RPGs, not like other RPGs are not great but sincerly, this one took me with the story and the gameplay which for some reason I enjoyed a lot. The soundtrack is surely amazing and it is remarkable for the mix of epic soundtracks, relaxing tracks like crysta town, elle's theme, evergreen, and so on. The quattro town is also another one I liked it, it sounded like spanish pasodoble haha. Anyway, this is was great for a snes rpg and again, just to discharge the impression once more, I am kind of surprised that it was not known in the industry by many gamers. And thanks for your dedicated comments btw, appreciate it :)

12. Astel

Astel The (grey) knight with that funny look Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I played and finished the game years ago, and it's the only game i would never play again ever... and not because it's a bad game, on the contrary, but i could never face that ending ever again :(

I can't barely hold my tears while hearing this theme T_T

13. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Alright, so I've been playing this game for two days straight and I enjoy it a lot. I've just started Chapter 4.

The combat system was a bit more detailed than I expected and is easily the most fluid I've seen on the SNES, I like the idea of having multiple kinds of normal attacks with different enemies being weak to different kinds of attack, with nothing forcing you to use magic like Secret of Mana. Level design isn't anything groundbreaking, but it's designed well enough to prevent too much backtracking in dungeons.

The story is fairly interesting, but lost a bit of charm after Chapter 3 started. I liked the idea of rebuilding the world, starting with nothing but a rock with water. And the world Ark is from is interesting at least visually, once chapter 3 started is when a lot of typical fantasy tropes pop up and it completely changed the aesthetics. Thankfully, the theme of rebuilding the world stays in place, as your allowed to rebuild the economy of different towns, and I'm still invested of what's going to happen next.

This might be a new favorite of mine for the SNES. I'm being a little cheap at the moment and playing this on an emulator, but I plan to get it physically once I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  14. Amarysse

Amarysse Ubiquitous Gimmick Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I played through ActRaiser (an earlier Quintet title) recently and that got me in the mood to try their later stuff -- the Soul Blazer/Heaven and Earth series that Terranigma is part of. Haven't started yet but am excited to -- they look great.

15. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Omg, Soul Blazer. I liked that game SO MUCH as a kid for some reason. Someday it was rented by someone at my nearest video rental and never returned. I asked the employees there almost every week if the game had been brought back. It never happened :(

About Terranigma, I had played it some in the past up to safarium approximately and given up. I guess I was a bit under-levelled? I dunno. ANyway I picked it back up 2-3 weeks ago from reading this thread and feeling like giving it another go. Just finished playing through it. Honestly, for the most part, I found it ok but unimpressive. I kinda liked the anti-climactic ending but in general I thought the plot was full of holes and contradictions, it didn't hold up to my standard. You also kinda oversold the music :p  In my opinion it was effective but lackluster, very few pieces I thought were really interesting. Maybe some themes were good but the arrangements didn't stand out in general, in my opinion. But yeah, I got in expecting my mind blown, from your comments, so that's probably part of the equation ;)

16. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Terranigma is a great game, where you have the opportunity to see the world changing with your progress in the story. It is also nice for having hidden things here and there. Story-wise, I honestly didn't expect the end. Why ? Because while you are rebuilding the world, you cannot expect the truth behind it. Battles are nice, the last one is a bit annoying though. And some are impossible if you're underleveled. I don't like all the soundtrack but some tracks are beautiful. 

I might replay this game, since it has been many years since I finished it :)  

17. IamGilgamesh

IamGilgamesh Game Developer - Rapper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Started it a few times. Still haven't beat it. Might try again. How long does it take y'all to play through it?

18. SinSilver

SinSilver Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I honestly never heard of it but will certainly try to find a way to play it. I'm always on the look out for a game with good story enjoy.

19. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I freaking love this game oh my goodness, Since I live in America, I had to use an emulator for it. But I loved every moment of it.

20. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Never heard of it as I reside in the states; will have to look for a let's play or something of it.