Gensun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm thinking of a 2D horror game set in an abandoned mall. This is an intermediate project I want to do as I build my personal asset base and learn how to evoke fear in my next projects. I'm aiming for something with a light narrative and is mildly to moderately scary, not something to invoke pure terror for its own sake

Protagonists are two college kids doing a school project and they thought they would venture into an abandoned mall to produce an indie documentary. One is motivated by fantasies of fame and fortune, the other motivated to help the world by spreading a message.

They take videos of what they find, but get locked in due to tripping up an automated security system. They have to evade a trigger-happy robotic mall cop. One protagonist reprograms the security system to recognize them as the landlord. The other protagonist is still taken as a tresspasser and meets a tragic end.

Are there other similar games to this idea so I have references to what works and what doesn't?

Last edited:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That sounds cool, actually. But dang, do I have any say in whether the protagonist dies?

Gensun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That sounds cool, actually. But dang, do I have any say in whether the protagonist dies?
Something I'm definitely open to debating, but the main theme I'm going for is basically "property is power" (and being cautious to not be too overt about it). My gut feeling says that message is stronger if one but not the other dies

EDIT: Thought about it more, I'm now leaning towards it being better that there be a branching path at the very end of the game that decides if your second protagonist lives or dies. The game will tell you that it's when you decide the ending you get

Last edited:

Gensun

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Am in the process of producing assets for a prototype!
Broom2.gif

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Camping inside a hidden cave.
LzSHByh.jpg
I don’t believe in astrology. I’m a Sagittarius and we’re skeptical.
senary_concept_art.png
The concept art for the sprite of Senary, a major character in my upcoming (as-of-yet-unnamed) project. She is known as the Timelord because she can "stop time" by making eye contact with a person; Paralyzing them for a short period of time through a type of hypnosis. Tell me what you think about her. I'm thinking of changing the color of her coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingfathom