Have heart, fellow entrants!

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Geoff Moore, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @whitesphere: That's a sound philosophy! Which game is yours?

@TerminusEst13: The concept is really interesting, and your feature list on the games page made me laugh out loud. You're on my rapidly growing playlist! :)

2. aspirestudios

aspirestudios Villager Member

Loved your Oh-Ko game, I already commented on it in the 5-review thingie, now check your message inbox man(or woman, as it were)... :)

3. xeroborn

xeroborn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah that's pretty much my attitude. I don't feel a need to pester friends/family with writing me reviews, especially because none of them could tell a good game from a bad one (I've seen more than a couple 'this game is art' reviews that seem suspect). I made something that if I played it I would be satisfied, and that is about all I could do, especially in a month.

I also am really enjoying playing the other games. I don't like getting absorbed in a book if I'm writing a short story, or watch a bunch of movies if I'm writing a screenplay. I've found the same true of games. If I'm making one, chances are I don't want to spend my free time playing one. But now that I'm done, I remembered how much I love games, and suddenly there are dozens of free ones for me to try.

4. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Free games made with heart too! Because let's face it, we aren't getting paid for this - we're mostly here because we love it :D and that's worth way more than anything to me. Effort and love - not a lot of industry made games can boast that anymore.

That's why playing contest games is fun. I'm really amazed that over 500 games came out in a month haha A lot of indie games never get finished, (especially in rpgmaker communities) so this was a treat. I hope everyone learned a lot in this time and we start seeing many more games come to completion!

That would be a great outcome. And all these fresh new faces too :)

whitesphere, Cabygon and Stoic like this.
  5. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My game is "Phase Out".  The game, in its entirety was only 15 minutes long.  I now at least have a better idea of how long a game can be.  This game requires no grinding, which is why it's so short.

Of course, if Dragon Warrior (the original) needed no grinding for levels or cash, the game would probably be at most 1 hour long.

My current work-in-progress requires "some" grinding, but I am trying to keep it to a reasonable amount.

6. xeroborn

xeroborn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    And that, too.

7. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @aspirestudios: Thanks so much for the review! I hadn't even noticed I had an inbox on here, lol. I replied. :)

8. Diego2112

Diego2112 The Gaming Gamer Who Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've played a few, and I'll be playing a few more before it's over.  I HAVE been rather busy sharing my game amongst my mates...  And I AM guilty of checking ever-so-often to see if I've any new votes, or if my position from Page One of Submissions Sorted by Vote has slipped.

But you're right, hell with that-let's boost the community in GENERAL, ya know?  *Nods*  I'm'a be firing back up playing some more just as soon as my daughter goes to bed (about two hours), and I'll make sure to take notes on things!

I will say ONE game I think everyone should play is Jungle Rescue.  Stealth-Based game.  Hard as crap, but FUN!

Galenmereth likes this.
  9. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I need to practice what I preach and get playing some games! Real life kind of piled up while I was coding, I need to beat it back a bit.

Xenos2112, your game sounds fascinating, I'm adding it to my list right now. What a cool concept!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  10. Diego2112

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you, mate!  Your'n is on my list a well.  I surely hope I don't disappoint with my concept!  So far the comments from them what's played it seem positive enough, though, so I'll trust that.  I've a problem of thinking my own stuff is sh*te regardless, though.  Anyway, enjoy it, and remember-RESOURCE MANAGEMENT, and

THERE ARE NO REVIVAL ITEMS!
    So yeah, keep that in mind.

11. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Don't get me wrong, I fully expect to fail. I suck at strategy. But I reckon I'll have fun failing! :D

12. Diego2112

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I hope you make it to the end-there's a surprise for them what make it all the way through!

13. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    So. Much. This. ^

Wholeheartedly agree ;_;

14. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I agree.  Let's face it, the odds are very few of us will get paid for our games.  And we all know first hand how much effort goes into making a game, from the concept, to map building, to event scripting, to playtesting and so on.  I think, for most of us, it is really a labor of love.   We do it because we love classic RPGs and feel we have stories to tell, even if very few people ever play them.

15. catchthefloaty

catchthefloaty Villager Member

16. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @catchthefloaty: Your game looks really nice, the colours are awesome! I just wish I had a gamepad, but I'll still give it a try for sure. :)

17. runic

runic Basketcase Member

It's been really fun! I've been a lurker here for a while, but this contest kind of gave me the push to actually do a game! I'm proud of what I've been able to accomplish in just a month, and I feel that it's brought me closer with my friends because they helped me test, and I don't really share my artwork or anything I've written. I'm trapped between being excited and having a panic attack every day!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Silvestre likes this.
  18. Silvestre

Silvestre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Nice initiative, MU (Mostly useless)! I too would love some feedback and certain am burnt out after working nonstop for a month. I was going to try your game already, it looked very charming and interesting, and now it's downloaded here.

I hope you give mine a try, I'll get some inspiration to write a review about yours when I finish it. Good luck!

19. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I will fully admit I'm terrible for the "waiting for someone to notice how awesome my game is and play it and love it forever" thing. Lol.

I'm doing my best not to check everyday. It's like when your trying to loose weight and you check the scales every morning and night, instead of leaving it a week or a month to see if the number changes drastically. Lol.

There are a few games I'm looking to try out, and I will, as soon as life goes back to normal (which will be when my family gets back from holiday and I'm not rushing round cleaning and looking after animals like a crazy person). Lol.

Good luck everyone, and maybe one of your games will be the one I review! I'll try to be as detailed as possible, lol. Might even try one today (I have like two hours to myself, so maybe)

20. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @runic: Ruselan is wonderful. I haven't finished yet, but you'll be getting my first review soon! :D

@Silvestre: Thank you for checking it out! I look forward to hearing what you think. :D Trials and tribulations is on my list now, it might take a while to get round to it but I'm certainly intrigued.

@Paladin-Cleric of Awesome: Nice handle! And good to see you've started reviewing games, I'm just about there myself. Jungle Rescue is somewhere on my list, but be warned! I suck at stealth.  ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
    Silvestre likes this.