Rudostan

Descent Game Programmer/ Terrible Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A silly question, that turns out to be smart.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes, I enjoyed playing them, like I enjoyed making them.
I only made 3 short prototype games with MV (all free and mostly for fun), sometimes it's also satisfying to see them working as intended.

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really enjoy as a normal player, but as a tester testing the whole game from the beginning again and again (I hate this when using RPG Makers) is something else :blink:

Mystic_Enigma

A shadow keeping itself together...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tough to say, as i'm still working on mine! But I do enjoy testing stuff.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I enjoyed playing mine, but only after a long while. That is, after you demo it over and over again, the novelty and magic and surprise can be dulled. But that's with anything in life, never mind games.

Then, after a few months, I went back to play it and loved it.

Just a month ago, I went back to play my RPG Maker 2003 game that I made years ago and was like, oh man, this is so much fun! And at the same time also thought to myself--I could do better ;)

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Knowing that I'm going to play my game 100 times more than everyone else in the world combined, I tend to develop my games specifically for me to play. So yeah, I enjoy them a lot! I make sure that I throw enough randomizing in there so that I don't know exactly what's coming my way.

Might be a different story if I ever make something to sell or have reason to believe that lots of others will play it. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it but it might not be something that I just pick up and play on a whim like I do with my IGMC game.

Rudostan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you don't find your own game enjoyable, I fail to see how you can expect anyone else to.
I actually like the project, that i'm working on.

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Usually, yes. But when the game is text/story based not so much >.>

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like playing my own games a lot! I am working on a tutorial dungeon right now and I am pretty excited to play it when it is done and see all the small cutscenes I made for it in context. The largest problem tends to be that I play my own game so often during developement that I find it easy and so make the game way to hard for the playtesters.

Mihe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Playtesting my project and working through trial-and-error can be tedious at times, but it can feel very rewarding when I come to a result that I am pleased with.

Rudostan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Playtesting my project and working through trial-and-error can be tedious at times, but it can feel very rewarding when I come to a result that I am pleased with.
I have the same thing.

Benny Jackdaw

Ratty!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I have to be honest, a big thing for me in games is the protagonist characters. The protagonist and story can oftentimes make or break a game for me. And now it is, too many games Star generic humans who usually only care about other humans, in a game where all other life is inherently evil except for those that look just like humans. If I see this in a game, I won't play it, period. Last year was basically when my interest in modern gaming died. So many games tried to bring back likable protagonists and they all failed, and people wonder why I hate hat in time so much, it's because hat girl is the very thing I hate seen as protagonists in video games, she's up painfully generic human who basically only allies with her own race. You could argue cooking cat was an ally of hers, but I still consider cooking cat a villain since she worked for the mafia. Hat in time is basically an example of my frustration with media nowadays. I never get to see a hero I can connect with or a story I can connect with in a piece of work recognized as great, only stuff that pisses me off now adays.

that is one of the reasons I I often make stuff myself. This is why I write books and draw comics and make games, because I want to see another story, a story that isn't about generic humans. True, I have niche intrusts as made evident by my earthquake Warriors game, but sometimes niche interests are the most fun to make. I'll admit, earthquake Warriors is by no means the greatest RPG ever made, but I honestly had more fun making and playing it then I did playing most modern video games. Not saying it's a better game, just saying I had more fun.

Type using the voice function on my phone.

Last edited:

TWings

The Dragon Whisperer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a rule I'm making games I'd like to play.
Enjoying playing it once you've already spent thousands of hours building and testing it, and basically know everything there is to know about it, is probably another matter though. I can't say for sure yet, except I'll probably be too busy working on the next one to play games I've made anyway.
I think there's also a difference between single and multi player games. I did enjoy multi-player games I've made in the past because interactions with others always make it something more than what I designed.

JayA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree - I try to make the types of games I enjoy playing, otherwise there's not much point for me. Adding randomised elements helps a lot too. If not random, then at least branching/choice-based to keep things fresh and engaging.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have certainly and I think a developer should be able to enjoy their own work, specifically for the majority of us in this community this is fundamentally a hobby; it should be something we find enjoyment in. Personally though, I've wondered if I've made my games too appealing to me and not thinking about the considerations of others. There's certainly an advantage I think in having play-testers or potentially working in a group to give you some sort of alternative perspective.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
After few years since I completed my game, I looked back at my game as if it was someone's else game (because I have no idea how I could do it). Yes, I enjoyed it.

Danielcross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My first game was pretty rough, especially since it had a lot of dialogue and was essentially an hour-long Choice and Consequences simulator. I really did get goosebumps my first time playing through it, but troubleshooting it and fixing bugs for the 400th time can get tedious.

onipunk

Archmage of Procrastination
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The great thing about being hobbyist or independent developers is that we're not beholden to anyone. Not to huge mainstream fanbases, not to publishers, not to senior designers with their own ideas about the game. We get to make exactly the games we want to because of those reasons, and I'd say it's pretty universal amongst RM devs that we started doing this to make our own takes on the games and genres that shaped who we are. Most RPG Maker games are not going to be big, we probably won't be the next Cave Story or Minecraft, so when I make a game, I make it for myself first and foremost and if it happens to be what other people are looking for, that's a bonus to me.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I do enjoy them, but I have this problem that since I already know every dialog, every scene sometimes I tend to just hit OK during cutscenes and dialogs xD

but for one of my games which is a minigame collection, that ofc doesnt happen as it doesnt have stories etc

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm so annoyed with myself...I can't get this code to work so it looks like I'm going the plugin route for a problem I should be able to do myself :kaolivid:Great. Now I get to murder save file compatibility. Again.
Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021
You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelseycherry