Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm always happy to serve :D/ Also. your game is really, REALLY good but I was only able to find a demo of the game. Will there be a full release to the game any time soon? I'm interested in placing this game on the nerd mansion store but only the full version :).
Man... I hope so. Haha. The truth is, I had every intention on finishing this project a couple of years ago. But then things happened. Deaths in the family, career changes, school, starting a family, etc. etc.

Doesn't help that I'm always looking to create new things for the game too. There are certain parts of the dev process that I enjoy a LOT more than others. So I tend to sink my time into things that probably won't have a huge impact on the overall quality of the game.

Anyway, I have some things to think about. Because if I try to actually finish this in a timely manner, then it means that the later parts of the game suffer because they wouldn't nearly have as much care put into them as the first parts of the game. So I'm not exactly sure how to go about completing this project.

thenerdmansion

Graphic Design/Complex Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! You suffer from the exact same thing I used to suffer from. Not being able to finish the game :D. I was in a loophole for 8 years, I'd start a game and not finish it. How do you fini- Shhhhh, the F word is forbidden because I still have to add 5 other mechanics that I'm not sure about yet, LOL. If you would hear me out maybe I can give a small piece of advice.

First: Only you know what the "secret of Caledria" is, I assume the climax of the game. Find out who the final boss is going to be if you don't already know and where that final battle will take place. Once you have that down work towards getting there by working on your maps and cutscenes.

Second: Features, we all, all, ALL love adding features into our games. As a game dev, I see a new shiny plugin and I'm just like I want that one!!! Don't do it :). All the mechanics of a game are mostly introduced in the first hour of the game "Energy Ring", "Menus" "Stuff". Unless you do something like final fantasy 7 where snowboarding is introduced way later in the game but I wouldn't worry about it until you get to that part of your game and then only implement it if it'll work and won't break the game :).

Last: Time, ahhh... we all wish we had more of that in a day :). With covid and people suffering from a loss, school, relationships, appointments, promotions, career changes, you name it. I've suffered in many of those categories with tears in my eyes. It's not easy I tell you. This is how I overcame the time obstacle. I treated my game dev as a mini job. I grabbed a piece of paper and clock my self in by writing down my time that I started then work for a minimum of 1 hour, if I have some spare time and I'm loving the process then of course I do more but nothing under an hour. Nobody does rpg maker out of necessity, we do it cuz we love the process and watching other people play our game and so obviously when I got to the parts of the game that I loved the most I used to clock in for at least 5 hours cuz I looooved it "with my 15 minute breaks of course LOL". Mapping is my favorite part of game deving. make sure you clock your self out too in order to maintain discipline. I'm one of those that would say, game deving is my fun time not my job but in order to fully complete a game I had to step up my seriousness. (Google has a stopwatch, I used that to clock my self in and then stop the watch to clock out. I have a whole notepad of clocking in and out)

My best wishes to you and I hope you consider finishing the game :D/

Misery

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meow
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Why mapping?

thenerdmansion

Graphic Design/Complex Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's a good questions xD. When I am mapping it's like seeing the world come to life with my creativity. It's like playing Minecraft and getting to build something beautiful in the exact way that I wish I could decorate a one of my rooms without money restraints :).

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you would hear me out maybe I can give a small piece of advice.
Everything you said is 100% correct. And I know this because it's the same thing I've told other developers in my First Impressions videos, which was based on what other developers told me. Lol.

The thing I've come to realize is, this advice applies to people who really want to finish a game. I don't fit into that category anymore. I'm at a point in my life where I can walk away from this project and feel fulfilled because it served its purpose. I continue to work on it because the development is the fun part for me.

As I said before, I like to create things for the game. Not because I think it's needed, but because I enjoy the challenge of creating it and learning new things. That doesn't necessarily mean adding plugins. In fact, I've come to rely less on plugins. For example, I have a Victory Aftermath plugin I commissioned. I later modified it to add a grading system. Does my game need a grading system? Hell no. I know I could do without it. But coding it was a fun challenge. And that's ultimately what I'm in this for.

I "used" to be focused on releasing the game. But the reality is, there's very little chance that my game gets played from beginning to end by a lot of people. Mind you, I'm not saying that based on the quality of my game. It's just the law of averages.

I see how many RM games are out there.
I see the stigma surrounding them.
I see most of the active people in the community are probably focused more on developing their own games.
I see that a lot of gamers rather spend their free time playing a solid AAA game.
etc. etc.

All this to say, I realize now that finishing the project won't be nearly as fulfilling as developing it. So I'm just going with the flow. If I finish it, great. If not. Oh well.

What I can say for sure is, I won't be scrapping this any time soon. So nobody needs to worry about that.

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
As long as it is not only a decision in your head but you also feel that way in your heart it should be the right choice. I have had this idea several times but my heart always tells me that I also do this for the satisfying feeling that I will get when my game brings joy to someone else. Just like I can really enjoy a good story with nice features. So I will keep my mindset on finished this, even if it's rough near the end of the game.

I have played many developers games and I have a few that I wouldn't mind seeing finished and play.

But more important matters than our hobbies are of course more important. Hope you're doing well and that you're enjoying your family. Just wanted to show some support here, cheers m8.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
As long as it is not only a decision in your head but you also feel that way in your heart it should be the right choice. I have had this idea several times but my heart always tells me that I also do this for the satisfying feeling that I will get when my game brings joy to someone else.

What's up Dutch! Thanks for the support my dude!

I totally understand that feeling. Another thing to think about is... I could feel like this today, and feel totally different about this six months from now. What I don't want to do is spend too much time pushing myself to develop a game when it comes at the sacrifice of my family and other commitments. It's a tough thing to balance. Haha.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.
Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.
I wanna get back into showing off Battlers and other assets I create again. But i'm always haunted by the "It's not good/realistic enough" voices that keep me from doing so.

Maybe I should get back to it, I did enjoy showing off whatever I came up with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leolotus