Chaotic_Critical

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello there. This is actually my first post :). I’m having an issue where when I press the playtest button, nothing happens. Occasionally it will just ask me if I’d like to save my recent changes, but then nothing happens when I press yes. I use an ASUS Vivobook laptop if that’s important.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this often means that the program itself has been blocked, due to a protection program falsely believing the playtest to be an external website trying to infect the computer.

if you go to the project folder and doubleclic the index.html for a regular start, what happens then?

what is the filepath to your project, from driveletter to that index.html? because the program can also fail to launch if the project is stored in the wrong folder.

or it could be several other things like a damaged editor or a damaged project.

It is extremely unlikely that it has anything to do with your hardware.

Chaotic_Critical

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
this often means that the program itself has been blocked, due to a protection program falsely believing the playtest to be an external website trying to infect the computer.

if you go to the project folder and doubleclic the index.html for a regular start, what happens then?

what is the filepath to your project, from driveletter to that index.html? because the program can also fail to launch if the project is stored in the wrong folder.

or it could be several other things like a damaged editor or a damaged project.

It is extremely unlikely that it has anything to do with your hardware.
Thanks for the reply :) when I click the index.html, it says “Error, your browser does not allow to read local files”.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is a different case of an error, one that has nothing to do with the playtest but with the browser security settings (basically to prevent an external website to read local files and not identifying the website as already local). It isn't worth changing for now as that would reduce your external security.

what about my other question, the file/folderpath where your project is stored?

Chaotic_Critical

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
that is a different case of an error, one that has nothing to do with the playtest but with the browser security settings (basically to prevent an external website to read local files and not identifying the website as already local). It isn't worth changing for now as that would reduce your external security.

what about my other question, the file/folderpath where your project is stored?
I stored my game in a folder called “New RPGMaker games” in OS (C)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is not a full path, but even that incomplete path shows one problem.

please remove all spaces from the foldername, browsers always have problems loading if there are any spaces in any file- or foldername.

Chaotic_Critical

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I removed the spaces from the folder name, but the playtest still won’t work. Is it possible it could be something else?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are dozens of other option, several I already mentioned in my first post.
most likely is that one of your protection programs is blocking the playtest, but to solve that you need to be able to check the log of each and everyone of them.
if you had that knowledge you probably would have done that directly after my first mention of it, but that is not something that I can help with unless I would be sitting in front of your computers. Because there are too many such protection programs to guide you through whatever is installed on your computer.

or it could be that the editor is damaged and needs to be reinstalled, or a few other options.

Chaotic_Critical

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are dozens of other option, several I already mentioned in my first post.
most likely is that one of your protection programs is blocking the playtest, but to solve that you need to be able to check the log of each and everyone of them.
if you had that knowledge you probably would have done that directly after my first mention of it, but that is not something that I can help with unless I would be sitting in front of your computers. Because there are too many such protection programs to guide you through whatever is installed on your computer.

or it could be that the editor is damaged and needs to be reinstalled, or a few other options.

Chaotic_Critical

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Since it’s most likely that the virus protection program is preventing my from playtesting, would there be some kind of program I could download to playtest it there instead?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can't you temporarily disable your anti-virus to see if that actually is the problem? If so, you should be able to ask about that specific software to see how to add an exception that would permit your game.

Chaotic_Critical

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Can't you temporarily disable your anti-virus to see if that actually is the problem? If so, you should be able to ask about that specific software to see how to add an exception that would permit your game.
Thanks for the reply:). I opened RAV Antivirus and added an exception to the folder my game is located in, but it still won’t work.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the computer usually has more than one protection program, and even most AV programs have more than one component and need to be configured like that in every component.

and as said, sometimes it is a damaged editor and I haven't read that you tried to reinstall (and if you got the steam version, that reinstall might need additional steps to work)

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the reply:). I opened RAV Antivirus and added an exception to the folder my game is located in, but it still won’t work.
That's not really what I said.

It's not useful to try to add exceptions until you have narrowed down the problem to the specific program(s) that's causing the problem. Right now, how would you know the difference between your exception in RAV not being configured properly, or RAV isn't the problem?

That's why I said try disabling it, then if that works add an exception. As others have said in this thread, you first need to identify the cause.

Chaotic_Critical

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The playtest button is working again. It happened after I backed up MZ. I’m not really sure what got it working again though. Thanks everyone for helping out with this :) .

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Update on the Unity thing: I had to redo all my map graphics for Unity because the originals were from XP, but it actually looks so much better now in Unity, so I genuinely might make the switch.
Messing around with fragment shaders (filters). This thing is HUGE and I'm surprised almost no one makes good use of. Even the number of plugins that do this stuff are limited.
ScreenShot_6_28_2022_3_2_40.png

There's 7 main areas in the game that are all connected. This train get's you from an underground lab to the center of someone's subconscious. inside the train you can talk to some of the passengers. but going to the top of it, there's battles.
Speedrunning all character portraits just so they all have the same quality. Not sure if this was a good idea, but now I'm almost done.
We now have a gameplay video!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yamilonewolf