Having issues getting Yanfly Quest Journal to work

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Aravahn, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Aravahn

Aravahn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Greetings, RPG Maker family. I'm having issues integrating this very useful-looking plugin into my game.

For starters, using just the Quest Journal (with the Core Engine of course), it does not seem to automatically place a Quest menu command in my menu list with Items, Equip, Status, etc., even though Auto Place Command is set to TRUE.

So, the forums suggested using Yanfly's Main Menu Manager to manually place it. Seemed simple enough. However, using the text from the Yanfly wiki, it gave me the error message on the left in the attached photo. Poking around a little more, I saw someone formatted it differently, replacing the two $gameSystem lines with "true." However, making this change resulted in the error on the right.

So, I'm sort of at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this further. I'd appreciate some guidance.

Also... possibly unrelated... the Javascript Development Tools opens every time I hit the Play button in the editor... anyone know what causes this?

Attached Files:

2. Jules98

Jules98 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Assuming there is no conflict with non-YEP plugins, I can think of 3 things that may have caused this:
    1. Your Yanfly Plugins are in the wrong order. Please ensure that they are in the same order as shown here: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Category:Yanfly_Engine_Plugins
    2. You're using an old savefile when playtesting. Always delete pre-existing savefiles after installing new plugins.
    3. Your editor and/or project is outdated. This plug-in requires MV to be at 1.5.0 or above.
    The dev tools automatically opening is most likely caused by a plug-in.

3. Aravahn

Aravahn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I compared my plugin order to the website, and as far as I can tell, it's fine. Feel free to correct me if it isn't.

The picture shows my current plugin order. I deactivated Main Menu Manager to work on other aspects in the meantime. I added EquipCore only shortly before replying here. Not sure if those two default plugins need to be in any particular place, but I assume they're a non-issue.

I'm not using any save files. This occurs when I start a new game and attempt to open the menu. I want to make sure the Quest option appears in the menu before going any further with adding quests to the game.

And according to the About section of the Help menu, I'm using version 1.6.1.

Attached Files:

4. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    to simplyfy it to add it to your main command window (main menu) use the following

Name: 'Quest'
    Symbol: quest
    Show: true or use switches
    Enabled: true or use switches
    Ext: x (x = is common event ID)
    Main Bind: this.callCommonEvent.bind(this)
    Actor Bind:

in your common event, note teh ID and use the scriptcall or plugin command to open the menu

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  5. Aravahn

Aravahn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well, ShadowDragon, I entered the info, and reactivated Main Menu Manager.

Is there I a problem in how I set up the common event or something?

It gives me the error message "Quest is not defined."

By the way, I really appreciate the speedy replies.

Attached Files:

6. ShadowDragon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if ext = 1, just use 1, not 001.

the most common mistake using 001 or 0001 is because MV already read the '00', if you use 001, it basicly read 00001.
    so leave out any 0's on the ID's of common event, skills, actors (if you ever use it) SPECIALLY switches or variables.

Also use 'Quest' with ' and ' or " and "
    and use this.callCommonEvent.bind(this)

7. Aravahn

Aravahn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Okay, so I made those changes, and now we're back to "TypeError, Cannot read property 'bind' of undefined.

I apologize if this is vexing.

8. ShadowDragon

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I searched through the plugin and test it on my own quickly (while im no fan of yanfly quest journal because
    its hard to understand, and it can add an quest tracker.

The way I mentioned worked as well as teh example that is given in the helpfile
    , the one I gave can be named journal or anything that should fit.

the error you might have is probably a quest issue that doesn't exist YET, some can show quest list but nothing in there,
    some REQUIRE a quest to be able to have acces to the quest journal so it wont give an error.

do you made any quest? did you set it up correctly?
    Did you watch the tutorial how to set it up or a basic one?

I try to narrow down the issues.
    If you still get errors, do you want another quest journal or do you really want yanfly's?

9. Aravahn

Aravahn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I watched that whole 20 minute video on how to set up Yanfly's Quest Journal. I thought I understood what to do, but clearly that isn't not the case.

I haven't made any quests yet, I was trying to make sure the plugin was integrated correctly before moving on to making quests. I feel like it should just show an empty journal if you have no active/current quests.

But to answer your question, I'm not emotionally attached to Yanfly's plugins or anything, they just seem to be the most prevalent and easy to obtain. If you know of a more beginner-friendly quest journal, I'm all for it.

10. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please always post the full error message. You can get the full message by opening the Dev Tools to the "Console". If it doesn't open automatically you can press F8 or F12 to open it during playtest.

11. Aravahn

Aravahn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well, based on this, it seems like I've got a lot going on here.

I saw the part in there about updating my project files... I did not realize the files were "versioned" separately than the editor itself. I'll work on fixing that in the meantime...

Attached Files:

12. Aravahn

Aravahn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    All right, after fighting with files for a while, things seem to be working.

I had to manually download and install the 1.6.1 update from the site, and then copy files from my NewData folder. I really don't know why my editor would say I'm running version 1.6.1 if that wasn't truly the case.

Anyway, thank you all for your help. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong while I'm fiddling with this. XP

13. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's the correct process if you bought the MV program from this site. If you bought it from Steam, you'll want to turn auto-update OFF in Steam because it can surprise you with updates to the new version that you don't realize it happened.

It's because they are two different things - the editor is the program used to make the game, different than the game itself. When you upgrade one, you have to upgrade both.

The full error message explains the initial errors you were seeing --> the YEP Quest Journal wasn't loading at all, which is why all the Quest Journal related variables were undefined. Hopefully all is good now!

Update threads for future reference:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?forums/rpg-maker-mv-software-updates.171/

14. Aravahn

Aravahn Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yes, things seem to be working properly.

Thank you everyone, for your assistance. Happy designing!