Having multiple variant sprites of a single enemy type

OKIComputer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I want to have multiple variations for a single enemy type without having to make redundant entries in the enemies list. Is that possible using some sort of scripting in the base game, or with a plug-in?

For example, I might have a sprite of a goblin and swap out a number of different weapons, a mace, a sword, whatever, maybe some skin colors are darker, whatever. However, to avoid having to manage a whole bunch of duplicate entries and having my enemies list swell and have to constantly make duplicate changes as I inevitably balance stuff, I'd like all the "goblins" (or whatever) to be from one entry.

This feels like it should be easy but I was surprised to be unable to find a plug-in with this feature, or find any simple javascript calls I could make to swap out the battler sprites.

Zarsla

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try YEP_AnimatedEnemies, for changing the battler sprite. Also watch the video, it shows how to have multiple enemies sprites.

OKIComputer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try YEP_AnimatedEnemies, for changing the battler sprite. Also watch the video, it shows how to have multiple enemies sprites.

Thanks, I saw that, but the issue I have is I don't want animated side view enemies, I want standard non-animated, non actor side-view enemies. I assumed it wouldn't work, but I'll have a look.

Sc0wly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@OKIComputer: the plugin should still work for this even if you don't want actor enemies or to have them animated. Those features don't need to be utilized. You can just have a single image for that enemy repeated on its sheet so that nothing fancy happens. Then you can add a similar sheet with the enemy variations you want to show up randomly and add a name tag for each one of them in the enemy's note box instead of just one.
So instead of this:
<Sideview Battler: dude_01>

You'd put something like this:
<Sideview Battler: dude_01a>
<Sideview Battler: dude_01b>
<Sideview Battler: dude_01c>

Use your own nomenclature of course but in this example a, b, and c would just be slightly different versions of the same enemy. You probably know that already from the Yanfly video that comes with the plugin but what you should also know is that you can use the plugin just for that one feature and easily turn all the others off if you want. :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today *Fix the game UI
RMMZ maxRows make me tired.
The game supports real-time language switching (really interesting).
8laFKAa.png

jBYDFzZ.png

lYbvPth.png

mY99lgU.png

Swag collecting in the new randomly generated area. Now the mini map also shows the randomly generated features... And even illustrates the whole "bubble" system" that I made to manage memory... Though that part's inadvertent. We'll just call that "the fog of war"... Yes, that's what we'll do. Nobody will be the wiser! :kaopride:
not me being not lazy for 5 seconds and drawing another char portrait (her name is hazel)
its_hazel.png
Been a while since the last time I made a song remix. Had a blast making this
One thing those jp developer still get wrong about boob physic is that... men's muscly hard pecs can jiggle too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniellJC