Having NPC Event Behind Tile

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by koraiel, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koraiel

koraiel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it when searching:

So, like the title says, I am trying to get an Event (with character model as the event image) to sit behind another tile, but when I place the npc event, and then set the tile (like was suggested on another site) it does NOT sit behind the tile, but rather on the tile itself. I am trying to set up a street stall (like in Japanese festivals) where there is a person behind the stall counter. It looks rather odd to see the npc standing on top of the food they are trying to serve...

I have tried to just simply set the tile and set the event as below characters to see if that worked, nope. Set event above characters, nope. Set event same as characters, nope. Tried to set the tile as a counter tile, nope. At a loss as to how to go about doing this as it is for a story segment, but I'm sure anyone that actually looks will notice that the vendors are on top of their products if I leave it as is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for your time.

2. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    How are the tiles layed out? If you want a tile to appear above an event you'll need to mark it with a star in the database. But I think you know this and it sounds like it isn't the problem. If it comes to it you could always take to a graphics program and trim the sprite to

3. The_Dumb_Guy

The_Dumb_Guy Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had a similar problem. I did the following to fix it. 1) Make a new event in a different spot. 2) Set it to parallel process with priority - above. 3) Give it the image of the food stand. 4) Set event location, this event: (choose the tile of the npc) It should now appear above the NPC.

4. koraiel

koraiel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @The_Dumb_Guy Yup, that did it. Thank you for your help. Took a little bit for me to understand exactly what you were saying, but it worked. Again, thank you for your help in this matter. Greatly appreciated.

5. The_Dumb_Guy

The_Dumb_Guy Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad I could help!

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @koraiel
    bad idea unless you do it slightly different

If you keep the event at parallel process it will constantly add to lag as long as you are on that map.

1) make an event at action button and above exactly as described
    2) make a second event a parellel process with the set event location targeted on the first event (and all events you want to move included in different set event location command but in this event)
    3) after all set event locations, add erase event.

the event will run once everytime you enter that map, moving all events to their new positions - but then vanish, no longer contributing to lag.

7. koraiel

koraiel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar Thank you for the clear up. The only thing I had not added to the scripting was an event erasure. It worked though, and with the event erasure at the end, it'll clear up any lag produced (though I'm sure a fairly small auto-run event map wouldn't cause that much).

Alright. Since this issue has been resolved, I'll go ahead and close this thread up.

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.