Having trouble with 64x64 Item Icon Set Displaying.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I am using Yanfly's Core Engine to change the parameters of the item icons. I changed it to 64x64 as shown here.
64x64.png

Thing is, I tested this out and used GIMP (and snap to grid) to make a painting lid item that is within the dimensions of 64x64.

Item.png

No Icon Displayed.png

So why is it that it doesn't adjust or seemingly show up at all in the engine?

I notice the selection square in the item-icons engine spritesheet thing...is still using the regular 32x32 dimensions to "select an icon" to display for something, but that doesn't change when I adjusted the parameters of the plugin.

tumsterfest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wild guess, but maybe it's related to the dimensions of your custom icon sheet?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Plugins can't modify the editor. One can change where in a file the engine loads images from during gameplay, but it can't change how you select them while editing.

Probably the easiest way is to not actually change the icon size parameter until you've done all of your work, then replace the iconset.

Or keep two copies of it with different sized icons that you rename back and forth so you can accurately see what you're choosing.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wild guess, but maybe it's related to the dimensions of your custom icon sheet?

Hmm, well I kept the original dimensions of the sheet exactly the same (512 x 640).
I just erased all the icons and wanted to test it out with this 64x64 size instead. (Don't worry I still have the original IconSet)

Do I need to scale the iconsheet perhaps?

Plugins can't modify the editor. One can change where in a file the engine loads images from during gameplay, but it can't change how you select them while editing.

Probably the easiest way is to not actually change the icon size parameter until you've done all of your work, then replace the iconset.

Or keep two copies of it with different sized icons that you rename back and forth so you can accurately see what you're choosing.

That is not really a solution though. I would like to address the problem directly if there is one, so that I can incorporate new items as they come along in my mind.

Are all the parameter settings correct? Is it just using a different "iconset" that's probably blank?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update:

So I decided to test this out with the original IconSet, and this is what happened:

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.50.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 11.55.09 PM.png

So it looks like the plugin is actually working...but it's just shifted for some reason.
Like above, Icon 3 is the Blindness default. But in-game, it uses the perfect square of icons....shifted to the right 3 times. So 6 and 7, and whatever the icons are underneath 6 and 7.

Is there any particular reason it would shift over in such a manner?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is not really a solution though. I would like to address the problem directly if there is one, so that I can incorporate new items as they come along in my mind.
I don't mean any offense, but I feel like you didn't understand what I said. There is no "problem" - or, rather, the problem is that you aren't selecting the icon you think you are.

The iconset is a grid of images, 16 across and as far down as it goes before running into RAM issues. (or, normally, up to 512 pixels across...I don't know whether this plugin changes that or it's defined by the engine loading)

Code:
 0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 etc.

Whenever you select an icon via the UI, it's just storing the index in the database (the numbers I listed above). A plugin cannot change how the interface in the editor works. It is going to show you the iconset file and give you a 32x32 box to select an icon with.

So it looks like your pan is placed to be icon 1 (the second box on the top row). However, your selection box in the screenshot is positioned on icon 3 (the fourth box on the top row).

If you click on the second box on the top row (which, visually, looks like an empty square) it should display your pan image.

I'm not sure how else to explain it...

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't mean any offense, but I feel like you didn't understand what I said. There is no "problem" - or, rather, the problem is that you aren't selecting the icon you think you are.

The iconset is a grid of images, 16 across and as far down as it goes before running into RAM issues. (or, normally, up to 512 pixels across...I don't know whether this plugin changes that or it's defined by the engine loading)

Code:
 0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 etc.

Whenever you select an icon via the UI, it's just storing the index in the database (the numbers I listed above). A plugin cannot change how the interface in the editor works. It is going to show you the iconset file and give you a 32x32 box to select an icon with.

So it looks like your pan is placed to be icon 1 (the second box on the top row). However, your selection box in the screenshot is positioned on icon 3 (the fourth box on the top row).

If you click on the second box on the top row (which, visually, looks like an empty square) it should display your pan image.

I'm not sure how else to explain it...

Oooooooooooh okay yeah you were right, I totally misread that first part. My bad!
I see what's going on now, I forget that icons are by index, so when I scaled it from 32x32 to 64x64, it just displays the corresponding "icon"...starting from ZERO!

It will be a little weird to remember since it's a tiny bit of a calculation of (n-1), but....technically that is 8 icons per row, which should serve me well.

Mac15001900

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had a similar problem after changing portraits to be twice as large - while it worked fine in-game, it was a pain to select with the editor, since it was now showing something completely different (e.g. instead of face 7, just the lower-left corner of face 2 ).

So, I've changed the function for loading portrait files to append "-big" to the filename, and made two versions of each: the regular sized one (for the editor) and the larger one with "-big" added to the name (for the game).

Now, while nothing has changed with the game, the editor once again allows me to see which face corresponds to a given box and select them by clicking on the correct one, which is nice.

If you'd like to do something similar with icons lmk, a similar patch for loading the iconset should be rather simple.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had a similar problem after changing portraits to be twice as large - while it worked fine in-game, it was a pain to select with the editor, since it was now showing something completely different (e.g. instead of face 7, just the lower-left corner of face 2 ).

So, I've changed the function for loading portrait files to append "-big" to the filename, and made two versions of each: the regular sized one (for the editor) and the larger one with "-big" added to the name (for the game).

Now, while nothing has changed with the game, the editor once again allows me to see which face corresponds to a given box and select them by clicking on the correct one, which is nice.

If you'd like to do something similar with icons lmk, a similar patch for loading the iconset should be rather simple.

Sure!
I got it working now, but you're right with the editor being a little bit of a pain with the different visibility n' all that.

In my mind, anything that helps it remain convenient is always a plus.

Mac15001900

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
should be rather simple
Well, ok, it was a little bit tricky; portraits are loaded from different files, so most functions assume that can change, but for loading icons "IconSet" is just hard-coded everywhere (including many plugins). So I've modified the ImageLoader itself, hopefully that shouldn't break any plugins.
JavaScript:
var _ImageManager_reserveSystem = ImageManager.reserveSystem;
ImageManager.reserveSystem = function(filename, hue, reservationId) {
    if(filename === "IconSet") filename = "IconSet-big";
    _ImageManager_reserveSystem.call(this, filename, hue, reservationId);
};

var _ImageManager_loadSystem = ImageManager.loadSystem;
ImageManager.loadSystem = function(filename, hue) {
    _ImageManager_loadSystem(this, filename, hue);
};

Add the above as a plugin, rename your icon file (the one with larger icons) to "IconSet-big.png", create a copy, resize it to 50%, and name that one "IconSet.png". Hopefully it will work :)
Of course "IconSet-big" is just a suggestion for the name, if you modify the endings of line 3 and 9 of that script you can have it called however you'd like.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, ok, it was a little bit tricky; portraits are loaded from different files, so most functions assume that can change, but for loading icons "IconSet" is just hard-coded everywhere (including many plugins). So I've modified the ImageLoader itself, hopefully that shouldn't break any plugins.
JavaScript:
var _ImageManager_reserveSystem = ImageManager.reserveSystem;
ImageManager.reserveSystem = function(filename, hue, reservationId) {
    _ImageManager_reserveSystem.call(this, filename, hue, reservationId);
};

var _ImageManager_loadSystem = ImageManager.loadSystem;
ImageManager.loadSystem = function(filename, hue) {
    _ImageManager_loadSystem(this, filename, hue);
};

Add the above as a plugin, rename your icon file (the one with larger icons) to "IconSet-big.png", create a copy, resize it to 50%, and name that one "IconSet.png". Hopefully it will work :)
Of course "IconSet-big" is just a suggestion for the name, if you modify the endings of line 3 and 9 of that script you can have it called however you'd like.

Yayyy cool! I'll give this a shot when I get back home. Just real quick to ask, is this okay to use for a commercial project? (Like mine?)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

PoptartPresident, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Debugging multiplayer issues... I'm having fun, right?
yay_streaming.jpg

For just starting streaming on the 10th... Definitely not the worst. :LZScheeze:

Granted I need 333.34 hours a month on average to achieve money. So I don't really expect that, but it sure has helped my game dev go much faster.
Proud on how this map turned out.

FnmhDLIXgAAOvIC
I just finally fixed a huge problem that wouldn’t let my game load and would crash it.. I thought that I was gonna have to trash the project and start over lol
The feeling when you finally found and killed that one gamebreaker that you could not really grasp before.:kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snotery