Head ache

Darkheretic

Demonkingwraithgoddragon... Slayer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'be read other posts about this but I'm not understanding at all, please explain step by step how to do this,

My character is running forward

Here down I need help with

He trips then gets dragged several spaces back. I've done the actor image change to damaged character but nothing changes. He simply turns and walks back, please explain step by step what's going on.

koban21

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Perhaps an image of the event would help us understand better what your having problems with. And which engine are you doing this in?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Darkheretic The information under your avatar says that you are using MV, but you have posted in VNMaker. The answer will vary depending upon which engine you are using, so could you please clarify which it is.

Thanks.

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I apologize, I didn't't see it saying VN Maker, am asking for MV. I have't used RPG Maker since the PS2, so I'm sure I'll be asking for help a lot. Where's the best place to ask these questions? I have it setup so he's laying down after his final step, then after the dialogue I want him to move back 13 spaces while laying down I just turned around and walks 13 spaces.

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For some reason it keeps telling me that I can't upload my screenshot of my event editor so this is how I have it so far.

Set movement route: Player
Move up
Move up
Move up
Move up
Move up
Chance actor image: Rilum Damage ,

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[move]MV support[/move]

Most likely your problem is caused by the move route command given again and again and again without stopping. And that is controlled by the event properties outside the content window, the data you didn't give in your post.

As for the picture, just attach it when writing your next post, don't bother with the image tags.

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It says my file is too large, I've tried 3 different ones and they all say the same thing. So I'll just type all my event commands except for the dialogue.
SMR: Player Wait
^
^
^
^
Wait 60 frames
SMR Player wait
<
Wait 60 frames
SMR player wait
>
Wait 60 frames
SMR Player wait
T<
1 Step Backward
SMR Player Wait
^
^
<
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
Flash screen 20 frames wait

This is where my problem is
SMR Player (had wait unchecked thought that maybe the problem so I rechecked and it still does the same) Wait
^
^
^
^
^
Change actor image: Rilum damage
SMR Player Wait
Down X 13
Shake screen 9,5,60 frames
Transfer Player
SMR Player
>
Event end
All dialogue is set with an image transparent and window bottom with no special effects, the entire event works except for being down and moving backwards. I have a Lighting Event effect event where he stops before collapsing, though it's a separate event and I don't think that would cause him to not change image?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then store as JPG and not as BMP.
And the event commands are useless here, because what we need to see are the event properties like the trigger and so on.

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Trigger is auto run everything else is default

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To take a picture, open the event, hold down Alt and press PrintScreen. Then paste it into an image editing program and save as a png file. Then attach to your post.

Also please use meaningful thread titles. "Head ache" means absolutely nothing. I like to at least have a clue what people want help with before I even open the thread. And if I go away to do some research and want to come back and find the thread later, I'll be thinking "the problem with the sprite changing back during a move route" and "head ache" is not going to help me find the thread. It's also not going to help other people who have the same problem. Pick a few keywords and form a coherent sentence out of them, and use that as your title - it'll help everyone!

How many actors are in your party? Is the leader the actor you are changing the graphic for? What does the damage spritesheet look like? You would at least need to include a Direction Fix ON at the start of dragging, and a Direction Fix OFF at the end of dragging. Maybe also a Stepping Animation OFF at the start and a Stepping Animation ON at the end.

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
screen.png I forgot about print screen and I apologize for the poor title I was frustrated, tired, and not thinking clearly.:kaoback:
Yes
I'll go set up the fixed Direction.

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's the damage 1 I'm using.Untitled.png

Attachments

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is Actor 5 the only party member at this stage? Could we please see the damage sprite (not what you've given there, but the actual spritesheet you're setting it to).

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes
Your recommendation about fixing position and disabling stepping animation made it look pretty good. But I'd still like to know how to do this for future purposes if need be.
Capture.PNG

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you look at a regular character sheet, you'll see there are 4 rows for the same character - each row faces a different direction. As you turn your player around while walking, to face different directions, it makes it use a different row from the spritesheet. The top row is what shows when you're walking down, the second row shows when you're walking left, the third when you're walking right (or vice versa - don't have one open at the moment), and the fourth row shows when you're walking up. On your damage sprite, you only have one row filled in. If your actor showed the damage sprite and you made them go left, right or up, the image would actually disappear. Only making them move down would have the correct image. Turning on Direction Fix makes it stop this behaviour - the direction that is currently being used is 'locked in', which means even if they move in a different direction, the sprite will not change to a different row.

Now look at the columns - on a regular character sheet, each cell in a column faces the same way, but they have different stances. The middle one will be "standing", and the ones on either side will have either the right foot in front or the left foot in front. When your character is standing still, the middle sprite is the one that shows. When they are moving, it alternates between the sprites, going from right to left then back again. This is called Stepping Animation, and it's turned on by default for the character and all NPCs. When you are dragging a character, you don't want it to display this motion, so you turn off Stepping Animation while dragging, then turn it on again afterwards.

What I can't figure out is why, after you'd done the move route and changed the actor to the 'down' position, did it change back to the walking sprite after you started moving again. It should not have. There is nothing in your event that would cause it to change back to the walking sprite.

Do you, by any chance, have any plugins that affect map sprites? Galv's Move Route Extras, for example? Or any that change the sprite based on whether you're idle, walking, or running? That would cause the sprite to change when you started moving again. The solution to that is to NOT use the actor at all, but to use an event with the actor's sprite instead, making the real actor transparent while the cutscene is going on.

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only one I can think of is GALV_JumpAbility but I'm not sure that would affect that? Here's my plugins...other.PNG

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No. There are no plugins in there that I would expect to modify map sprites.

What about your move route that drags the actor back - is there any chance it is not completing before you change the actor image back to the walking sprite? Could you provide a screenshot of that part of your event?

Do you have any other events that might be on autorun or parallel process (including common events) that change the actor sprites?

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's the event
other2.PNG
Here's my event layout
events.PNG

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In your event commands, you're changing the sprites of two different actors.
In your post #11 you change the sprites for an actor named "rilum damage", and in your post above you change the actor images of an actor named " rilum".

Those are two different actors, have you both in your Party, have you exchanged membership of the Party between them - or do you not under stand that the dropdown selection of the change actor images command changes the target of the command and NOT the pictures?

The use of that event command is
1) select the actor for which you want to change images
The images will now show the default images for that specific actor.
2) to 4) doubleclick the image you want to change and select the new image to be used
5) click OK

Omitting steps 2 to 4 will result in the command doing absolutely nothing.

Darkheretic

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Holy crap, I should of realized that *Face palm* I'm missing something else now, I'm using the method Shaz recommended which ended up working better I think. But now after ending the event and have control, fixed position, no stepping animation, and movement speed of 6 is still active when I want it all reset to normal.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally did a test of sorts for the opening of my game... ... including this shot here.
My current status!?
It might be... QUAKE!!! :o
At least that was true several hours ago. :p
Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hnhat