UltimateEnd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So as of right now I'm creating a healer character for my project...but I'm stuck. I'm trying to come up with some ideas for a weapon excluding

staves, rods, books, and jewelry for him to use. If it helps, the weapon will be used for focusing the magic instead of generating it. Your ideas are appreciated. :D  

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
If you want a different weapon for you healer, maybe you could create a bell that shot a magic bolt by ringing it, or an incense.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or go with something wacky, like a massive mallet that has a magical effect of reversing damage into healing. Then have your healer smash their allies in order to heal them. :D

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Milennin So a more violent version of FFV's Healing Staff... which also had you attack allies to heal them.  It was actually pretty useful for most of the game, assuming reasonable levels.  Essentially free Cura spells in weapon form, which scaled with your Magic Power.  It was also great for removing confusion.  You just had to remember not to attack the enemy with it, or it would heal them too, unless they were undead, in which case it was fine.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Arithmetician, I haven't played that game, but pretty much like that, yeah. You could make it work for any kind of weapon, but bigger is better. :)

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Might I suggest a magic knife as a different type of healing weapon?   It could serve as a tool for magically-enhanced / spiritual surgeries, and the tip of the blade suggests focusing magic, as desired.  Just give it something to store magic in as a power source, and you're set.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A giant cross maybe.

Big enough to do damage and you can say it's given holy powers from above.

UltimateEnd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
These are all pretty sweet ideas! You guys are awesome. :D

I've decided the weapon will be a staff, but all healing spells will decrease the healers HP by

a percentage depending on its strength or usefulness. This way healing items have more usefulness as well.

I figured a dark themed male healer would be a breath of fresh air for some players.

I'll be making another identical topic shortly for a different character I have planned. Thank you for the feedback and take care!

ChrAndGow

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A example for a healing character with with some decent spells is omniknight, he has a two handed hammer and he looks kinda like a paladnin/healer guy.

He's a Dota 2 Hero and a good looking healer ^^

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I had a healing character in a game that used an Athame and a Chalice. Got a plugin to weapon swap during battle. The Athame would be your typical damaging spells (it would use blood magic and harm the user, in order to balance the healer doing dps idea), and then the Chalice would heal through watery effects. I kinda liked the concept :)  Other party members could buff each other, and the water mage could "Fill Chalice" - only targetable on the healer - to increase her heals for a few turns.

UltimateEnd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ChrAndGow I'll be sure to check him out. :)  My healer is inspiring visually by Sephiroth and the Emperor.

@fallenlorelei Yeah, that's a pretty cool healer design. I'm contemplating making my healer the main character right now, but I would have to rewrite so much story. :(

LuLingqi1

A Spellthief With A Bone To Pick
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Athame's are cool. My healer uses a dagger. A concept I had thought about at one point was using strings that were infused with magic. Think of like the strings for puppets. It's a stretch, but it could be used for healing and damaging. 

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Any weapons will do. Name the weapon, and it should be okay.

Why any weapon will do, you may ask? Well, weapons are meant for defensive means; self-defense, keeping away monsters, trading blows with bandits... and yes, best offense is best defense.

Been working with many kind of healers in previous projects; one who wields gun and gizmos instead of healing spell, one who uses conjured weapons made from pure ether, one who concocts potions and use some of the bottles as weapon, and some classic cleric fellas who wields morningstar or staff...

But it would be better if you can match the weapon with character's background, affinity, principals, and/or preferences.

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
I always preferred it when healers have some kinda serious weapon, since there are usually times when you don't need a healer, it's nice to have them pull their weight by bashing monsters.  I've seen bows and crossbows, a gun would be interesting, maybe like an exorcist, DW3 let them have spears and Sages could have whips, and then a lot of games give them some kind of serious whacking weapon, like a mace or maul or whatever.  If you do a staff, I would prefer more of a kung-fu staff or other combat staff.  Like Kilik or Dog Days guy, I guess.  

TheGamedawg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You might consider this as somewhat of a wand, but I remember once seeing a JRPG (I think it was one of the Tales games) have a character that uses one of those ball and string toys as a weapon.  The idea is that playing with it helps them concentrate with their magic.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@TheGamedawg That's Genis from Tales of Symphonia; he uses a Kendama, a traditional japanese toy. Its definitely a neat variation on the idea of a mage. He focuses by doing something that requires mental taxation on his part. Of course they spurce up the design to make it offensive at times.

@UltimateEnd If you are still open to suggestions Maces are pretty common in rpgs for healers as well. There are often ceremonial maces in religions like Christianity and of course you have the more traditional mace. Usually they might tack on flails as well. I think its easy to think that the healer has to be someone who can't do a bunch of physical damage but don't forget a lot of games incorporate the idea of a paladin to.

Tears from another Tales game (Tales of the abyss) has a cool method of attacking that I think is underutilized in games. She sings/uses chants to summon magics. While its not the weapon you equip to her I think the concept of someone's voice being a weapon itself is intriguing. In terms of in-game you could have the character adjust different voice tones as their weapon; heck it could even effect what kind of hymns/songs/chants they could use. If you want something a little simpler use instruments; harps, horns, drums, flutes, etc...

Another odd one for you might be equations. Different formulas yield different results.

You could potentially do things like throwing weapons like Knives. Throwing the weapon at the target and then focusing the spell through the knife. 

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Unless your Healer is a peaceful person, personality wise, why not give them something bad ass?

Once I was working on a project where my main Healer was a jerk. She knew she was the best Healer around, and was very cocky about it. Her main weapon type was a Spear.. which was more fitting for her personality than a Staff or a Rod would have been. :)

Dr. Delibird

Also known as HRforges
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have 2 healer classes in my current project but one of them isn't a dedicated healer and wields 2 syringes. This way all of the skills for this class can be assumed to be different substances loaded into the syringes. I am debating on whether or not these skills will use items as well as MP and/or TP though.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@UltimateEndYour healer sounds more like a necromancer to me. Technically they are in a way healers if you think about it. Know you decided on a staff, but I'm thinking that maybe you could have gone with a stake that the healer can use to draw blood? Don't really know the lore of your project so I can't be certain.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I hate doing voice over videos but people said they like hearing about the details.
Modern Town Overworld, World of Solaria Dungeon, 80's Retro-Futuristic Font | RPG Maker News #73

I been slowing down and not focusing on project currently.
I had this idea for VTubers vs MOTHER and its a bunch of Vtubers finding eight melodies to fight a psychic alien and a fat kid. IDK, kinda find it hard to use RPG Maker for more than 15 minutes
Working on some wizard/magic bases:
TestChara-10-hover.gif

I mean, technically it's a flying base but I haven't made any wings yet, so magic hovering is it for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katsuumo