Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wiwi

You have to use the Formation command to switch her into the team. It's in the same menu as Escape when in battle.
-------------------
Sie müssen den Befehl Formation verwenden, um sie in das Team zu wechseln. Es befindet sich im selben Menü wie Escape im Kampf.

Wiwi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Danke diese Option habe ich nicht gesehen.Habe es geschafft.Ein sehr schönes Game.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Wiwi This is an English language forum, so all posts need to be in English. If you wish to speak in German, you can do so in PMs.

Spermidine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
This is a game that's heavily influenced by the tales of the Brothers Grimm, who were German, so what better opportunity is there to make an exception? ;)

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Spermidine like the mod says, english language, exceptions or not, english = english.
so we need to obey the rules.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I am happily surprised that this game is so challenging and not just a game about the fairy tales. But given the difficulty of some battles, I have had to reload a saved game and lost up to 20 minutes of my life by having to replay a battle. For example, the Kraken and Pied Piper's giant rat state.

Here are just a couple of suggestions for improvement (IMHO) and selling this game. There will be more in the future. Besides needing to edit some of the written text, here are the basics I think the game should incorporate.

1. The game should have a “save anywhere” feature. The camp site is an interesting choice, but has limited use. I am not sure if I use it 18 times, that it will ever be acquired again. I will no longer buy games that don't allow me to save so I can continue on with my RL like eating dinner. As it is, I have to think if I have the time to spend on playing it each time I go to start playing. I like giving up a day of my life because I am addicted to seeing what's next. I am not addicted, though.

2. Previously visited large areas like the initial forest should have a "pass-through/enter" option instead of requiring the player to repeat a now very easy area to traverse just to buy items used by the "other" party.

3. Encounters in some places are 5-10 steps between each other and very irritating because it eats up resources in a game where resources can be difficult to obtain on occasion. There are just too many encounters for me to enjoy exploring. I found myself strategically using the one item that allows 150 steps between encounters (or the dog in the camp site) just after saving at a magic mirror and then just exploring a part of the Kraken cave to make sure I was going in the proper direction. Then I closed the game and restarted from the mirror save point and proceeded without using the item/camp site on the second time. Way too tedious of an approach and a real turn off for me. As someone else mentioned, the enemies are definitely encountered way too often.

Thank you Spermidine for reminding me of the HTML code for spoilers. The following info is for players who might need help in some cases.

There is a huge battle you might lose after the Pied Piper is beaten and saving the Dukes. You should have at least 4 Singing Daisy that will remove the “rat” condition and be fully healed with full MP if possible. Also resurrection potions (2 should be enough) and Cinderella in the party will probably be necessary for healing. I lost this battle and about 30 minutes of my life by having to replay this segment.

After returning to Haimersmif and defeating Steward Roland, Daimon leaves the party to stay with Duke Charta and therefore takes his equipment with him after the battle. I do not know if Daimon returns. But if you want to keep an excellent shield he may have, then make sure you have done so before the final scene.

When the party enters the nearby woods on your way to meeting Merlin in the Tower, a cut scene will change the party to 2 previously unplayed characters (Morgana and Morgose) who are baddies and you will play as them until their goal in the cave is reached. It appears that consumable items transfer to them, too. But that also means whatever is used by them is no longer available to the main party when the story line shifts back. BTW, I loved the tower puzzles but encounters should be minimized, or non-existent, so I can enjoy solving the puzzles and not have my butt singed at every turn.

It appears "reserve" party members (when you have 5 characters) earn 100% EXP, but I have not done the math on that.
[\spoiler]

I'll be back...

aloha,
kimo

Last edited:

Spermidine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Here are some thoughts that - hopefully - will make the game (even) more enjoyable for you.

Not being able to save anywhere is my only real gripe about this game, but some developers consider this part of the challenge when emulating classic old school JRPGs (the worst offender still being the Dragon Quest series where the player can only save inside a church).

Small maps and high random encounter rates - this is a combination that most RPG Maker game developers should try to avoid. This issue is especially apparent when looking at the transition to RPG Maker MV and its "high-resolution graphics". Developers have been told all years long to avoid large (empty) maps, but nowadays you can already see most of the map in an RPG Maker MV JRPG as soon as you enter it. "Bigger (but not empty) maps, fewer encounters" has to become a new standard yet. At least I think it can't be debated that a developer shouldn't rely on the software's default random encounter rates.

A "pass through option" is nice to have, but not a must-have to my mind. There are also other consequences to be considered, e.g. the player being underleveled if the game is balanced assuming the player travels through certain areas twice. Also, story surprises can be partly spoiled if something unexpected is supposed to happen during a second visit, but the player was already alarmed because the "pass through option" wasn't available this one time only (that's one of my memories from a game containing a "pass through option" that I played long ago).

I also don't like segments that "lock the player in", but the player is warned several times before attending the ball, and the segment itself consists mostly of cutscenes. It's not an ideal scenario, but not a severe issue, either.

Daimon
returns later, so don't worry
. Spoilers are formatted as (spoiler)text(/spoiler), only with [] instead of ().

All your party members gain the same amount of experience, even the ones you haven't recruited yet, the only unfortunate exception being if a party member is dead at the end of a battle.

Finally, here's some advice: Use your party members' abilities as often as possible. If you don't, battles drag on, and everything you saved on the MP side, you'll waste on the HP side. Yes, MP restoring Tinctures are expensive at the beginning, tempting the player to go easy on resources, but you should always have a stock of 20 or more at hand before you enter a dungeon. Since there isn't any late-game money-sink, you will have enough money for all your needs later. Also, use the save mirrors wisely. They completely heal the party when using them for the first time. Thus, if your party members still have some MP left or if a level-up is only a few battles away, fight until you've leveled up or exhausted the MP you had left. This way, you make the most out of the save mirrors (and can confront boss encounters fully healed). Admittedly, it was hard for a save-scummer like me, finally finding a save mirror after 30 minutes and then "not being able" to use it immediately. :D Furthermore, switch party members based on the enemies' weaknesses. Some of the party members with their multi-target skills are more suited for random encounters (unless an enemy is resistant to this party member's elements), while some party members - especially "Piggy" with his debuff skills - truly shine during boss battles. If battles are still too hard, your best bet is - to play Black Jack. Seriously, if you recruit the Black Jack dealer and win against him, you'll get (most of the time) items that permanently raise stats.

Well, don't let yourself get discouraged. The game is fun and, above all, mildly challenging, but always fair.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Spermidine
Thanks for all the info. I have been figuring out some of the game mechanics details as I played, except for the magic mirror's healing properties. I have started carrying more than 10 HP/MP items and that certainly helps. I agree with using MP-based skills because it almost always makes battles easier.

I only played blackjack 1x, so I probably need to plan on spending some money "at the tables" during my next camp stay. Will I get my room "comped" if I spend enough? (where's the emoji for LOL? ... LOL)

Will I be able to buy camping equipment later in the game?

Again, thanks for the info.

Spermidine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
No, playing Black Jack seems to always cost money, but that's okay, since it would practically be a shop for items that permanently raise stats, if it wasn't for the "cheating" AI or the occasional Wheat, Sugar or High Potus rewards.

You can't buy or obtain anything else for your camp as far as I know, except for recruiting people. If you recruit Arrety for your camp, though, you will be able to buy some equipment pieces from her (mainly shields) that you can't buy anywhere else.

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well, I think I just discovered a game breaking programming problem. In my search for a magic mirror save point, I ended up back in Castle Haimersmif. Unfortunately, the game will not allow my party to leave the castle. I have to find the guy upstairs again (sorry, I don't remember the name). After I find him, he jumps out of the window again, BUT my party has now disappeared from the screen and now has a view from above that can be scrolled only.

I have a feeling that I didn't kill all the enemies the first time and there is some switch that is causing the problem.

I have the save file if you would like to see what has happened to me. But this forum will not let me attach the file.

Here are the last of my developer-specific notes as I cannot see why I would want to restart from my prior save in the Gingerbread House cave.

Dodging the shadow spots in Gelbian Forest will immediately alienate older players with dexterity issues. If you incorporate such game devices, you should also make them optional or possible to deactivate them. Also, being attacked by enemies while dodging those spots is just irritating. Likewise, the disappearing pathways in the cave where the children left breadcrumbs are a potential issue for some players.

In battle, a second blow is often landed on same enemy by Locke when 1st blow would have been clearly enough. So any strategy for randomness of blows is just based upon luck. When a character lands a death blow, it should be calculated and take effect at that point.

Having no encounters on the world map is a relief considering the frequency of other attacks.

The use of items to augment spells/skills is a nicely unique touch that limits usage. If that was the intent, then it is well done.

But, in closing, the lack of save anywhere and high frequency of encounters in some places (4-5 steps) is the nail in the proverbial coffin. It's a shame since overall I think this game had promise which is why I spent the effort in offering you feedback.

Spermidine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I previously reported the Castle Haimersmif bug, where the castle returns to its "dungeon state" later, and I'm sure it has been fixed already by the developer. Unfortunately, it seems you started your playthrough using a version of the game that still contains this bug; in this case, upgrading the game to the most recent version won't help you. The only thing you can do is to load your latest save file before entering Castle Haimersmif and avoid this location in the future. Please don't forget that - when being on the world map - you can and should always use your camp to save the game and the villages' inns to heal.

DarkadeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kimo
Sorry you're having issues. The Haimersmif castle bug has indeed been fixed in the latest upload of the game, but like @Spermidine said, this bug unfortunately won't be fixed unless the area is played through on said latest version. I will take your words to mind and will make some adjustments to Gelbian Forest and the shadow spots.
Sorry to hear the game didn't work out for you, but I think the frequency of save points is fair in my opinion and I never had issues with the encounter rate in my test playthroughs. Regardless, like I said, I will take your words in mind and see what I can change to improve the experience. Thank you for playing.

strife094

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That pig character in the screenshot. LOL. is that a reference to Minecraft player Technoblade?

DarkadeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That pig character in the screenshot. LOL. is that a reference to Minecraft player Technoblade?
I haven't the slightest clue who that is. Lol.
No. He's a member of an anthropomorphic pig race in my game's universe and he's based on John Silver from Treasure Island.

norman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
hello.
i have to go where the island with fire to get gas for faying ship.
but the man i need after the boss fight is nowhere.

DarkadeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hello.
i have to go where the island with fire to get gas for faying ship.
but the man i need after the boss fight is nowhere.
Hey there
If You're talking about Brick, after you beat the Rage of Astaroth boss and the cutscene plays out when you're back on the ship, you just need to sail over to Gelbian Reserve to continue the mission. is something not happening or stopping you from doing this?

norman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
hello.
Gelbian Reserve where that .
thanks.

norman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
hello.
he not there.

DarkadeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hello.
he not there.
Just trying to figure out what the problem is. You said Brick isn't where he's supposed to be at Mt. Astaroth? Have you beaten the Rage of Astaroth? The big lava monster?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

[CM]
5VaUMjAFpz1I6fSsgDrfJc.jpg

Title is star.
Dam, does the night get to me, I sound and look like a monster. Its 3:54 am right now...I need sleep...or...coffee.
It has nothing to do with my project, but I'm in love with voxels
If you feel like your story isn't that great, just look at final fantasy.
Nightmare Traveler: A game where we play as... the bad guy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparyx