RMVXA Heavens Heroes: Unite. Chapter 3 is out.

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Story

Firstly
Guys, I've realised over the last 7 days how I made so many mistakes with the order of game-play. I hope you'll try out the new version. I've literally gave the game a full guide as you play through. Created many, many graphics, and scenes to help you from becoming lost or confused in the game. I can only apologise I didn't realise how terribly organised the start of the game was. I've worked so hard to undo it. So, if you can forgive me, check out the new version, and use what I have done in your games too.

The ship La Nette went missing some months ago. People from the village have became worried as loved ones are now missing. Without another ship they had been unable to send for a rescue until now. It's up to you and a brave few to find out what happened and to hopefully bring your friends and family back home. This adventure away from home becomes interrupted and what follows is an even bigger story.

From the very start of the game, be welcomed after many, many hours making new tutorial slides, graphics, and events to help lead you through the game. It was painstaking, but needed this change.
Enjoy Heavens Heroes: Unite, which is now much more easier to get in to, and has a story that will have you hanging on for more.

I invite you to try it today as more is on the way!

Blogger Tutorial Here.
This will explain eventually everything including Maps, Locations, Secrets and more.
For now there are, Battling Tutorials, Crafting and a getting started guide.
https://aw-rpg.blogspot.com/

Itch.io Link address.

Please let me know of any issues you may have. This is quite a revival and I hope those that were looking to play will give this a go and really enjoy it.

With deepest regret, I am sorry my game was unbalanced previously.

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here are some further screenshots. It's mostly to show more of the original content. Visit the page to view more and to read about some of the features and story.

The battle skin I custom made. It took many attempts to get a look that fit with the overall game.
It was allot of pressure to get it done in a way I could be happy with.

Working HUD which I developed a few years ago. It's been layered with newer systems since which are original.
hqUNdq.jpg

Fishing with a 2-D graphic display. It was something of a struggle giving fishing a purpose in the game. It was nothing like what it is for at least 2 years until I decided to challenge the idea of making a graphic display. Different fish will pop up, and there are also different modes that challenge the player. It is a labour of love to get it right and working in an animated fashion.
Wzwnwp.png

Fog and lighting system. I missed out buying Khas lighting when it was available on the website.
I died inside because, well, there was nothing better. I spent months working on the lighting, timing, and scripting to give a realistic lighting and fog effect. The full spec of the system isn't in the introduction incase of any performance issues. It really is a wonder when it all triggers.
f%2B6PVQ.png

I hope you'll find many of the other details I put in there such as fish swimming in the waters, particles drifting around the areas you visit, sounds that blend with the environment and lights which change on the houses and shops. Please enjoy.

Kind regards Alexander.

Last edited:

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tried it briefly today. It was very difficult. The first battle I assume was a tutorial battle. After that all battles were way overpowered. I lost all battles. I wasn't aware of how to heal my player. Then found the campfire and had to use the potions to heal. Don't fully understand how the heal building is supposed to work.
Fishing and the battle screens look great, but when fishing I had no idea what I was supposed to do. Hold B. Isn't be the x key? Holding it does nothing that I could tell. Holding S gives me a choice option to access the menu?
No idea what the images on the bottom left and bottom right are meant to indicate. No idea if I missed everything that explained what to do, but other than that, it seemed good.

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello, and thanks so much for playing.

I understand you're facing some problems with the local wildlife of the forest. I have to admit I did my best to give the player the greatest edge over the monsters, but I also wanted you to learn how to use your combination of skills to overpower the more difficult groups. It's quite a 90's gamer swing where you're not given the advantage over everything. But I do offer some great rewards and help.

Here are some battle mechanics to make you a pro :)

Twin slash will almost always defeat the 2 blue slimes. Twin slash is a 2 hit skill and does more damage to the slimes than they have in health. I did this so you could farm the Jelly drops to make potions.

Forest Hornets are the guardians of the forest. Try to pick a fight with them and they will overpower you without building Twin Slash up to Sudden Slash. It becomes a 4-6x power set of moves. Forest Hornets do however poison on most hits, but they drop Dote Leafs which can be used to craft Antidotes.

3 x Green slimes will over power you and a few may pick a fight aggressively- The ultimate combo chain would be Hunters Aid (support skill) This will build you up to Sudden Slash. Any enemies left over, clean then out using twin slash.

Injuries.
You may also become injured. If that happens you will see a bandage symbol with the word medic (or look for a broken half heart on your players portrait) A medic house can be found in Varoona Forest by going south until the exit and make a right where you will see a house with a heart symbol.

I will add these instructions as a play guide to help others further. I am very much hoping you will now master the moves to crush the monsters and get yourself a level up in kicking booty. Once you gain a Skillstone, you're going to love it even more. :)

Fishing. B is the X key on a computer keyboard Or the B key on an xbox control
C is the Enter key on a computer keyboard Or the X key on an xbox control

This is quite a skill mechanic, because once you learn how to fish, you're able to buy allot of stuff quicker from the stores. Plus, there are a variety of uses for fish including cooking. Again, I wanted to make it realistic. I've been fishing myself in real life, it's an achievement to do XD

Here is the basic way to fish.
The fish will gaze hungrily at your float like a zombie. It will sometimes move a little forward (to catch you off guard) or it will just hover. Some fish will move away and then Catch attack mode pops up.

During Catch attack (easy catch mode)
Hold enter on your keyboard when you are ready, a random fish will zip towards your bait to grab it, once it is close hold enter again, and that is your catch :) It's almost guaranteed.

During a normal catch.
The fish will zip forwards to your bait to take it away. Hold Enter on your keyboard and then hold X on your keyboard and then at the right time hold X again to catch your fish.

The image on the bottom left shows that you have a buff active from the Daily Crystal.
The image on the bottom right also changes if an area is safe, for battling, or is a danger area.

You also don't need to fish or battle to enjoy the story, there are boss battles, but they can be easily defeated once you pick up the battle mechanics and with more people who join your party.

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here is a video I put together. Thanks again for being a part of helping make things easier for people to play.
Battling tutorial.

Here is the link to the Blogger website which I am updating with tutorials to get you started. Thanks again for sharing your feedback. Please ask for help anytime.
https://aw-rpg.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sorry to bump this thread. I have been making new enemy sprites, here is a sneak peak of the cute and very mischievous enemies are here :)
V7ikVj.png

They are not purchased from any artists. I have made these to keep the game as original as possible. I really adore the slimes. More on these as I finish off the last few monsters. It's all trial and error. Thanks again for any help and support, I'll do my best in return.

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've updated the battle window and gone even further. I wanted to really give the art more of a chance as I made many backgrounds for the battling.

Check out the screenshot. It took a great deal of script editing. But it all works, and the enemy placements have all been adjusted. It's took some doing.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 5

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello all.

I'm just sharing some news on the most difficult changes yet of the project. Here goes...

I wanted to share some news on the project. It's been a mess of hard work and commitment but here we go. The new changes include better looking in door graphics and much better looking towns. It's been a difficult challenge and the last thing I wanted to do was make this project longer than it already has been. It's maturing, and has gone through allot. Non of these changes are out yet, and you'll be the first to know once they are. It will be a month or two at best before anything updated releases.

Converting a new tile set pack is not easy, I've had to use my editing program to make quite a number tile edits and make it fit in the current world. I wish it was a case of load the new tile sets in and done. I've had to add to demolish and add all the details back in manually.
ATo%2FSI.png

The face graphics system with window is a custom made one. Over 500NPC's are fitted with face graphics. The window will be customisable with a number of features for the reader.

aXum8d.png

I could cry with the frustration of the extra work, but nothing would be earned. I'm trooping on.
It will be a few months before there is an updated version of the game with the new changes.

If anyone is interested in the resources used and scripts, here is a visual document.

eETnyV.png

I created a great deal of additional content including music, art, and scripts to try and keep this as original as possible.

Thanks again, and all the best.

Last edited:

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Liking your style, art and mapping. Looking good!

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Liking your style, art and mapping. Looking good!
Thanks so much. Well done on your projects going on to Steam. Best of luck with your new one releasing.

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello All.

I wanted to share some of the new work I've been doing. I really made some great improvements. It's been a massive push to do this. There are many improvements of new window skin graphics, improved maps and and face graphics for a great many NPC's and maps have been painstakingly re-designed .

IinvUu.png

New tile set pieces have been edited in. I've been chopping and connecting many parts to try and make everything fit together. All villages and more areas have been hand made again as tile sets do not match with the old ones and made everything look like a car wreck. The redesign have been a huge task to resolve.

MC%2FdJV.png

I've relied heavily on editing programs to alter, edit and improve tile sets beyond the packs they were made from. I hope this will be enough for you to give my game a try. These new changes aren't in yet and I'm looking at March to release the new pack.

Heavens Heroes in March will no longer be free to play, you can however add it to your Itch.io account to avoid the pay wall. It will cost $1 to play as an early access game, and if you decide to donate, that would help greatly. You'll have 2 hours of gameplay- full of story, adventure and exploration. As an early player you will receive e-mails with exclusive content within Heavens Heroes through itch.io. I want to thank any who have tried the game I have tried so hard to turn it around.

I'm struggling quite heavily and this project is keeping me from falling apart. I'm hopeful you will join in the journey of keeping my project alive. In return I'll do more to add humour in to the game, keep the worlds as immersive as possible and strive to do better.

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Downloads have returned. There's allot of changes made including new maps, music, game-play enhancements, story and other cool stuff you'll find when you play. Please give it a go, more chapters are on the way.

The new changes include: Battle avoidance. Hold B when an enemy attacks on the map to avoid a battle, or just let the battle happen. New Battle music I made will get you in the mood! As far as I know this is a unique system.
mT1jYg.jpg

Gathering 2.0: Gathering system enhanced. New: At random you will be able to pick up double the items! This system works on maps where you can gather, and you can carry your bonus over to a different map through sophisticated scripting so you don't lose your bonus when heading in to town,
2kVKzh.jpg

New animations, sounds, music and FX. I've really poured my love of EDM and atmospheric music in to making a unique sound for the game. I hope the music will really be enjoyed as I have tried to make the music as EDM festival like as possible. Prepare to get a new high off sounds!
0p3wFo.jpg

More creatures! Check out the baby slimes! They roam around and pick up odd bits they find and play around. You'll find they don't battle, but they do tend to get scared or curious when you're near by.
There are plenty of surprise events that make the world more immersive to explore.
GweIok.jpg

If you're new to the game then don't worry. I've added in so many helpful features, and the blogger page with tutorials, that all you need to do is sit back and enjoy it. You'll have a great adventure ahead of you.

My aim to give the best story I can and give back in buckets, so please follow the game for the surprises ahead.

I'll be make tutorials at some point and giving some of my systems away in future, but my main focus is completing the game and getting myself better. Thanks again.

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I tried it briefly today. It was very difficult. The first battle I assume was a tutorial battle. After that all battles were way overpowered. I lost all battles. I wasn't aware of how to heal my player. Then found the campfire and had to use the potions to heal. Don't fully understand how the heal building is supposed to work.
Fishing and the battle screens look great, but when fishing I had no idea what I was supposed to do. Hold B. Isn't be the x key? Holding it does nothing that I could tell. Holding S gives me a choice option to access the menu?
No idea what the images on the bottom left and bottom right are meant to indicate. No idea if I missed everything that explained what to do, but other than that, it seemed good.
Hello Ron. I've hopefully moved this a huge step forward. If you can grant Heavens Heroes another try you'll see it's had a massive improvement. Thanks again.

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Dkteh7.gif

Hello to all.

Heavens Heroes is still here. Chapter 1 and 2 has been made free to play. I must have been high on something to think I could earn some gold for my troubles.

EpopQK.gif

I'm half way through Chapter 3 which I've been focusing on humour and fun after all the drama that unfolded.
8v8UBS.gif

Bugs still may remain, any feedback or suggestions welcomed.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello Ron. I've hopefully moved this a huge step forward. If you can grant Heavens Heroes another try you'll see it's had a massive improvement.
I had the file downloaded 2 months ago but been busy doing lots of other things to try it again.

First issue is that I can access the menu when the title screen comes down after selecting your gender and name.
allot should be a lot? (early conversation)
fishing is still very confusing. I shouldn't have to read a guide before I play the game to learn one simple feature.
Still died from a slime battle with three slimes, even though I defeated them just a minute ago without too much effort. 224 damage for the slime seems high I guess with yourself not able to do a lot back fast enough.
I would make the crafting at the campfire able to press cancel. When I press cancel to go back an option it cancels the crafting, I simply want to go back one step. Also when crafting an item like the vita potion, it says jelly slime -1 twice.

Overall I don't think this is a game I would enjoy.
Sorry.

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I had the file downloaded 2 months ago but been busy doing lots of other things to try it again.

First issue is that I can access the menu when the title screen comes down after selecting you gender and name.
fishing is still very confusing. I shouldn't have to read a guide before I play the game to learn one simple feature.
Still died from a slime battle with three slimes, even though I defeated them just a minute ago without too much effort. 224 damage for the slime seems high I guess with yourself not able to do a lot back fast enough.
I would make the crafting at the campfire able to press cancel. When I press cancel to go back an option it cancels the crafting, I simply want to go back one step. Also when crafting an item like the vita potion, it says jelly slime -1 twice.

Sorry.
A newer update released today. This has new graphics, window resize options and it's much better improved than it was. The menu also no longer comes up. I wish updating was easier... But, I'm trying to make it easier for those who play, to experience a decent game.

Thanks so much Roninanator2. One of the main issues is, I've only had a handful of people actually give some feedback. I would award you a keg of your favourite drink and snacks if I could, just for the fact you came back! I hoped I could use my experience of RPG's I've played as a baseline for a good balance. I've played a great deal of RPG's since the 20's, and many of the old school RPG's of the 80's and 90's.

I've tried to balance the battle system as best as possible. Levelling up is not the most important part of Heavens Heroes, It's a world full of story, and your adventure is not to fight everything in sight, but fight for what you need or what you believe.

For many people who play RPG Maker games, they tend to skip the battles as they are so used to the format. But, battling I have made challenging. You'll gain new friends who will help you on your journey. Which is what Heavens Heroes is about, not doing it by yourself, and knowing that sometimes, you need the extra support.

My battle with depression is a catalyst for allot of what you'll experience in difficulty, and so this is really a good start for you! You didn't fail at all. Just continue the story, the monsters don't need to be beaten. They are there if you want to fight them. But they will put up a fight if you go for the tough ones alone.

The weapons shop sells a good weapon. Burts Mana Sword which will give you a double turn chance. But, even then, you'll have some items as you follow the quest line. Within 20 minutes of doing the story you'll be tough enough to beat up anything that pops up :)

As for crafting, the jelly drop -1 is to let you know that the item has been taken from your inventory for crafting. I'll certainly have more improvements within a few weeks. But, I am really thankful you came through and vented, because I need that kind of thing feeding back. I'm super sorry I let you down twice.

In conclusion, I still am growing, but I hope you found some great changes beyond what you didn't like, such as the newer looks and graphics. It's an uphill climb, and I've slipped and fallen a number of times. You feedback will help me improve.

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a little reluctant to leave feedback because you seem oddly emotionally invested in this. But, as you say, if you never get any feedback you can't improve. So here goes my short trial of your game:

- At first blush, I'm leary. I admit that I wouldn't have chosen to download this game if you weren't asking for help, because the title has incorrect grammar - it should be Heaven's Heroes, with an apostrophe.

- Your title graphic is nicely made, but hard to read. You have this horizontal line cutting through the top of the letters, so I can't make out your name and the title itself is also obscured.

- The first thing you do is have the user choose the game's resolution, which is fine, but there are some problems with it:
-- Why is the initial screen so darned small? I don't think you'll find any computer that's capable of using a Web site like itch.io that doesn't support a 1280x720 resolution, so make it start with that rather than squinting at a tiny window. (personally, I don't think you'll find anyone not running 1920x1080, that's the only consumer monitor you've been able to get for years now. But if you really strongly feel the need to support some ancient setup...)
-- The choices do not work correctly. I didn't try the "full screen" option, but "full screen window" is not correct because it appears to be a 1280x720 window, which is definitely not my full screen. And choosing the poorly-labeled "1080" option does make it about the right size, but it seems to not count the height of the window bar on top, which makes it spill below my screen a bit.

- I wouldn't usually randomly try this, but I saw the comment above about accessing the menu. If I press Escape during the gender selection, it automatically selects Girl and puts me into some kind of debug mode.

- During the name input (this might be the default behavior for VX Ace, but you should look into changing it because it's not intuitive), pressing Backspace does not function. You have to use Escape to delete the pre-filled letters, which doesn't make sense. I would also suggest looking to see if there's a script that allows you to accept typing input for the name, I know there is for later versions of RPG Maker.
-- Why don't you make the name input blank, so I can just enter my name without having to delete "Player"? Or pre-fill it with an actual name that I could use if I don't want to be creative.

- I selected to play a girl, entered my name...and then it took me to choose my name again! What the heck is going on here? Not only is it ridiculous to ask me to enter my name twice, it didn't even keep what I had the first time so I could just hit confirm. The first time my name was Player, which I changed to Sarah, and then it asked me to re-enter my name, which started as Girl! So I just hit okay and my name was Girl. It does not do this if I choose Boy.

- I know this is a free project, but it looks like you were initially charging for it, and might be intending to charge for it eventually...? So I would strongly suggest you get all of your dialogue checked over. Your profile here says your first language is English, but that does not appear to be the case going by the wording in your forum posts and in the game. Nothing is so terrible that I can't figure it out, but it definitely doesn't read comfortably like people would actually talk.

- The first map looks cool with the drifting stones.

- In the game's intro, these words appear on the screen, so I presume they're going to fade out and be replaced by more words...but they don't. If it's text that is waiting for my input to show the next thing, there should be a cursor indicator, as is normal for these kinds of games. If I don't see a symbol indicating I should press a button, I expect this is a cutscene and the text is on a timer.

- I couldn't finish the first battle. It prompted me for button input, but it didn't work. When I looked back at the posts above, it looks like you might be referring to gamepad buttons? The problem with that is:
-- I don't think it's a good assumption to presume someone is using a gamepad for this kind of game. You should see if you can change which images you display for input prompts based on whether you've gotten gamepad or keyboard input, and if not, you should state at the beginning of the game that the user needs to use a gamepad. Or allow the player to choose keyboard/gamepad icons when they start a new game. Or look into remapping the keyboard keys to match what you're displaying - again, I know you can do this with later versions.
-- I don't know of any popular gamepad that has those buttons. You display prompts for B and C, but the most common gamepad is the Xbox controller, and that has A, B, X, Y - no C. If you're thinking of someone plugging in their PlayStation controller, that's much less common but it also doesn't have those letters. So...what are you going for?

- Lastly, I notice that your executable just extracts out all of your plainly readable game files. It doesn't appear at brief glance to be an issue with this portion of your game, but your credits page a few posts up lists materials that I believe are paid resources. You should be encrypting your deployed game so that those resources aren't just being given away to other people.

So that's what I have...best luck to you!

Last edited:

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for trying out the game.

I'm sorry you found many problems that I wouldn't have usually located myself, such as the menu popping up when pressing escape. I'll look in to that.

Resolution.
The resolution starts off small because that is the native resolution for RPG Maker VX Ace. If you've never used VX Ace then you should, it's not what MV is in terms of graphics and resolution. That has to be made up through the effort of the game maker. The Window options give a good upscale, and is the best I can do for VXAce.

Character name options.
When you select the girl character, due to the way I have programmed the girl and boy characters names to work through the dialogue system. It's something you won't notice, but has needed allot of back door effort to resolve. The need to enter twice is so the dialogue system remembers your name so characters can call you that name. It's something I am still ironing out otherwise there would have only been one type of character.

Game-pad input.
The game-pad buttons are for either keyboard or game-pad buttons. B and C are Action and Cancel. The introduction is a cut scene which does not need to be completed. It's there to add a short mystery to the story as it begins.

Writing and dialogue.
It's easier to speak English, than write it. I had a school level education, and flunked in my teen years. I'm honestly not gifted with spelling and grammar, I'm still learning t write better without using Grammarly to do it for me XD.

The story itself is quite sound, and that is the main focus for any player that tries the game out.
I've had allot to study in the 5 years I had made been making the project, and learning to make graphics, sound, music, and much more while working full time in real life.

I've been lucky to keep this going and I really believe if you look past the minor issues that there is a really good game there. It's impossible for you to know how far this has come and what it means to me to do this, but it's keeping me going.

Donations
Yes, I was hoping to make some money towards the project. I have spent nearly £700 on the project and would put in allot more if I had it. I really believe in the project, and put everything I can in to doing it as much as possible. Money isn't important, but it can help towards some goals.

I'll do my best to keep improving. It's all I can do without falling apart. It's come a long way on an uphill climb mostly. And who knows what might come of it. Like Cloud when Sephiroth told him how he was made, he got lost, but his friends helped him find his way and he saved the world in the end. Thanks for helping avert the chaos of game making by helping squash some monsters I missed along the way :D

First issue is that I can access the menu when the title screen comes down after selecting your gender and name.

Sorry.

I have disabled the menu access from the start of the game. I also left a note on the Golem scene letting players know that this is just a cut scene and does not require any input.

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Resolution.
The resolution starts off small because that is the native resolution for RPG Maker VX Ace. If you've never used VX Ace then you should, it's not what MV is in terms of graphics and resolution. That has to be made up through the effort of the game maker. The Window options give a good upscale, and is the best I can do for VXAce.
I'm not sure why you say I should use it, when it is so old with such limitations :stickytongue: But I don't understand why, if you can change the resolution once the player starts a new game, you can't do that by autorunning it when the game starts. Perhaps the VX engine just doesn't allow any way to do that - in which case, I might suggest reconfiguring that title screen to focus on the words and make them take up the entire window. But that's just my suggestion.
Character name options.
When you select the girl character, due to the way I have programmed the girl and boy characters names to work through the dialogue system. It's something you won't notice, but has needed allot of back door effort to resolve. The need to enter twice is so the dialogue system remembers your name so characters can call you that name. It's something I am still ironing out otherwise there would have only been one type of character.
I don't see why. I just opened my old copy of VX Ace and the event system is the same. You Show Choices Boy/Girl, and inside each one you have the exact same procedure: Change Party Member, to set the player to the boy or girl actor, then Name Input Processing on that actor. That doesn't seem like a lot of back door effort, and definitely doesn't require two inputs.
Game-pad input.
The game-pad buttons are for either keyboard or game-pad buttons. B and C are Action and Cancel. The introduction is a cut scene which does not need to be completed. It's there to add a short mystery to the story as it begins.
So after the first cutscene fight, does it actually use the B and C buttons on the keyboard? If so, that's all fine (and I see that you added a message telling the player it's not a real fight, so that would've solved my problem). In that case...consider whether you think that's interesting enough to sit there and watch it. There aren't any fighting animations to be entertaining, so it's just that B and C icon going back and forth.
Writing and dialogue.
It's easier to speak English, than write it.
If you're trying to write a novel with descriptive text, that's certainly true. But when it's something like the dialogue in your game, are you saying you'd speak to someone and say "You do not even understand this training," or "It's really something I can't understand"? Because that sounds very odd to say out loud.
I had a school level education, and flunked in my teen years. I'm honestly not gifted with spelling and grammar, I'm still learning t write better without using Grammarly to do it for me XD.
I absolutely understand there are people who have learning disabilities - my wife has a hard time with really basic math, which I can't comprehend but it's there! I have observed that reading a lot (which is two words, not "allot") helps with recognizing what's right or wrong in terms of spelling.

But even typing all of your script into, say, Word first to run spellcheck would be a great improvement. Even if it doesn't catch everything like missing apostrophes, the sheer number of misspelled words would be better. Heck, you're asking for help from people on a community forum, why not post a thread asking for people to help proofread?

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sure why you say I should use it, when it is so old with such limitations :stickytongue: But I don't understand why, if you can change the resolution once the player starts a new game, you can't do that by autorunning it when the game starts. Perhaps the VX engine just doesn't allow any way to do that - in which case, I might suggest reconfiguring that title screen to focus on the words and make them take up the entire window. But that's just my suggestion.

I don't see why. I just opened my old copy of VX Ace and the event system is the same. You Show Choices Boy/Girl, and inside each one you have the exact same procedure: Change Party Member, to set the player to the boy or girl actor, then Name Input Processing on that actor. That doesn't seem like a lot of back door effort, and definitely doesn't require two inputs.

So after the first cutscene fight, does it actually use the B and C buttons on the keyboard? If so, that's all fine (and I see that you added a message telling the player it's not a real fight, so that would've solved my problem). In that case...consider whether you think that's interesting enough to sit there and watch it. There aren't any fighting animations to be entertaining, so it's just that B and C icon going back and forth.

If you're trying to write a novel with descriptive text, that's certainly true. But when it's something like the dialogue in your game, are you saying you'd speak to someone and say "You do not even understand this training," or "It's really something I can't understand"? Because that sounds very odd to say out loud.

I absolutely understand there are people who have learning disabilities - my wife has a hard time with really basic math, which I can't comprehend but it's there! I have observed that reading a lot (which is two words, not "allot") helps with recognizing what's right or wrong in terms of spelling.

But even typing all of your script into, say, Word first to run spellcheck would be a great improvement. Even if it doesn't catch everything like missing apostrophes, the sheer number of misspelled words would be better. Heck, you're asking for help from people on a community forum, why not post a thread asking for people to help proofread?

Thanks again for your replies.

My point was, you have to walk in someone else's shoes before you can appreciate they are trying. VX Ace was built with it's limitations and has aged. I've really had to work on bringing it up to a level where the game can be played and enjoyed.

I would rather you say that you dislike the game than to keep making fun of minor issues. I have fully replied in kind and made improvements based on the feedback provided, but not everything can be explained as you like. I have tried to be kind and your attitude is becoming very concerning. I will raise this with an admin if you continue to flame as I try to explain the difficulties I have faced.

You've only spoke of the very minor part of the game, and I am sorry that it has angered you enough to then come here and say what you hated, it's very one sided feedback which is then returned with more toxicity.

I have done the best I can to explain with which you are then accusing me of not doing enough. If you knew the systems I use then you would appreciate the work I have needed to do. If you played from beginning to end you would see a great deal of effort that went in.

I always feel allot of guilt that I could not make a game people could enjoy who have tried my game in the past. And I have made it a mission to change and improve and think of the person playing my game. I have began helping other game makers by sharing their games, and have started helping game developers with ideas and help. I even put feedback for people here on the forum.

Like anyone making something while learning. I have taken steps not to focus on the negative, the RTP music, same RTP graphics, could have done this or that. I look past these to find the gem within the game they want me to play. I'm sorry you could not put my passion before those mistakes.

Lastly, the one person who gave me hope I can do this is my Mum, she is dying of Cancer, and she see's my passion with this project over other things I have done in the past. She told me to keep doing it when I wanted to give up. To let you, or anyone else that is upset at this game down, is like me letting my Mum down. I'm here to listen, but you must be fair at the same time and consider there is playing someone else's game to help them, or playing to help discourage them.

Thanks for your kindness.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

If it gets 6 degrees hotter we've reach 100
I am finally done making the 'superbosses' in my game!
I'm happy because oh my gosh they were a lot of work, but I'm also sad because I love database work... And also because I loved making stupid powerful bosses ._.
Question for anyone who reads Slip into Ruby or Jump into Javascript: do I sometimes get too "explainy" with the methods/functions? Would it be more useful if I stuck to explaining what the code is doing rather than also delving into minutiae of the technical side of it?
That moment when you try to figure out a color scheme for an alien ship so that it's something other than "Grey on Grey".
It's up for viewing! See what happened when EquestriAlert got tested in 1997... or was it a test? Did somepony hack the system? Or did somepony push the wrong switch? Even Adagio Dazzle (the owner of the channel) has no clue.

Can you put the pieces together? Don't worry, the game isn't over yet! There's more pieces to add on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Badim