RMMV Heavy Roleplay Game idea

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by CalebW, Apr 17, 2019.

1. CalebW

CalebW Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hoping to get some feedback of which seems more interesting.

Idea 1) You are a solo character with the choice of 4 classes. For now we can say Knight, Healer, Mage, and Monk. The world is built around the character you choose as well as the gameplay. So, let's say you choose a Monk, you would do little to no fighting in the game but not none, and your skills would be tested throughout your journey.

The journey of course would be the story for that character, their motivation and their reason to persist forward with the story instead of call it a day.

Idea 2) Combine all characters into one party, making it so you follow all of their paths and journeys, fights, checks, and struggles.

I feel that idea one presents more of a challenge and immersion to the gameplay, but I want to see what others think.

2. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Idea 1 certainly offers more replay value due to how different each playthrough would play out.

Idea 2 sounds like every JRPG ever.

CalebW likes this.
  3. JMsoup

JMsoup New guy Member

First Language:
    Chinese
    Unless you're purposely breaking RPG tropes, monk would sound like a combat role i.e. warrior monk.

But anyways the Fallout series does something similar to this, your character can totally go for charisma/tech/intelligence and beat the game. Being able to adjust your gameplay style whenever you want will probably be important for this, unless it really is worth it to do multiple playthroughs. Maybe allow for the player to swap their roles when they desire?

ArielSystem and CalebW like this.
  4. CalebW

CalebW Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lol, well put.

5. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1 seems to be either too much work to do it properly, or does too little to make a significant difference in gameplay.

2 sounds indeed like your average RPG with some on-map actions.

6. Benevolentwanderer

Benevolentwanderer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Void Pyramid is an implementation of #1 - each of the three classes gets different in-story info. I've only gotten through a warrior playthrough, but there's a bunch of story stuff that you can only get as a scribe.

7. CalebW

CalebW Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for this reference. :) As of the beginning of this post, I have moved forward with idea one as it seems to be the most liked. I've even flared it further by implementing a dice system and a tactical battle system.