Heck! My newly-created spritesheet when resized through several means, its pixels remain stretched or blurry! Any ways to fix that?

CaraPrincess

The Princess of the Great Cross
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've grabbed a sprite sheet from Spriters' Resource as the inspiration for the sprite sheet base that will be used as the base for the sprite sheets used in my RPG Maker game project, Muse Genkaroku (which btw uses MV as its engine).

But the problem is: Each of the cells in the sprite sheet is the same size as the cells of a VX / VX Ace sprite sheet (32 x 32; I know since I have done some maths on calculating the size of the individual cells of that sprite sheet), and MV character sprite sheets must be 48 x 48 big in order to make it look good in-engine. I tried rescaling the image inside GIMP and several other image upscaling programs, but all I got is either a blurry / pixel-stretched version of the original sprite sheet since the ratio of the sprite / tile size of MV to VX / VX Ace is 150 : 100, and that resizing an image to a percentage other than a number that is not divisible by 100 will only results in crappy results depending on the interpolation used in most art software (Cubic would give us blurry images, and none / Nearest Neighbor (?) would give us a crappy pixel-stretched image).

I'm afraid that I cannot jump into VX/ VX Ace and use this kind of sprite sheet straight from the box because how limiting VX / VX Ace is and their (mainly worthless IMO) script collection, as compared to the versatility of MV and its large library of plugins.

Are there any solutions for that? I would be very pleased (and kudos to you from me) if you give me an easy method to fix this such as a "free" alternative to Yanfly's Sprite Scale Plugin that could make small / big sprites appear like 48 x 48 in-game and (possibly) in-engine, or some fancy method of scaling an image to 150% without losing quality!

CaraPrincess

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
rsz_genkaroku_spritesheet.png
Here's the sprite sheet in question. Any ideas on how to make this look compatible with MV's character sprite specs (by making each individual cell looks 48 x 48 by enlarging it without losing quality or things like that)?

arsMori

Drawer of Images
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh yeah, unfortunately, scaling things is a tricky beast.

I remember someone making a thread on this issue (link). I haven't tested it myself, but maybe it could be of use.

CaraPrincess

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh yeah, unfortunately, scaling things is a tricky beast.

I remember someone making a thread on this issue (link). I haven't tested it myself, but maybe it could be of use.
Unfortunately, I tried it, and nothing works.

I'm too afraid to leave MV for VX Ace in order to use those sprite sheets out of the box. As I said above, MV is more versatile and has a lot of useful plugins, while that VX / VX Ace is very limiting and (seemingly) worthless, including the scripts people made for it (it is OK to use VX / VX Ace to make a simple RPG or a Yume Nikki-styled game IMO).

While that Pixel Game Maker, another game engine by KADOKAWA, despite accepting sprites of all sizes and saves a lot of figuring effort by introducing node-based visual scripting, is still very bare-bones in functionality and so far is only known to have the tools to easily create action games (platformers / shmups / etc.), and still there are no RPG / ARPG frameworks for it yet. Its language localization support to me is even more limiting: It only supports major languages, while that others such as Vietnamese (my mother tongue) are not supported, which is n-sane (I would like to have my game being translated to Vietnamese as well, in order to have the people in my country to understand what the hey is going on in my game). And the platforms we can export games made by it to are limited to Windows / Nintendo Switch, while that I wanted a game that can run on both PC, mobile, and browser platforms. While that exporting to the Switch would have some advantages, I am really does not need it now because I am still a creator of doujin content. Despite I've seen several videos on how to make an inventory system on Pixel Game Maker, they are too complicated for me to make myself. Another no-no to Pixel Game Maker despite I really want to use it is that it doesn't even list as a part of the "Tools and Engines" section of itch.io (one of the platforms that I publishes my games on), which impedes me on filling the metadata of my game on itch.io, as well as it lacks a plugin for Game Jolt API (which is what I want to add to my game; and also while that many RPG Maker engines have either one or at least one Game Jolt API plugin / script)

In short, I think that MV is the most versatile engine to create an ARPG IMO due to many have created ABS plugins for it, but I am too scared of abandoning it just because of sprite size problems.

arsMori

Drawer of Images
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh by the way, can you link the website where you got the spritesheet? I'm trying to look for it to see if someone had already made a 48x48 edit.

(If it's a ripped spritesheet (taken from an existing game), it's not allowed to be posted here, heads up, since the Spriters' Resource hosts a lot of ripped content)

Also, I just remembered recently that there are plugins that change MV's tile size (link), allowing the use of 32x32 graphics, but as I have not used it myself, I'm not sure if it applies to character sprites as well. If it doesn't work, I'm willing to try to edit your spritesheet into 48x48.

(Edit: Had some time so I messed around a bit to edit the sprite into a 48x48 grid, which hopefully works with your game's looks)

Attachments

• rsz_genkaroku_spritesheet edit.png
    rsz_genkaroku_spritesheet edit.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

CaraPrincess

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh by the way, can you link the website where you got the spritesheet? I'm trying to look for it to see if someone had already made a 48x48 edit.

(If it's a ripped spritesheet (taken from an existing game), it's not allowed to be posted here, heads up, since the Spriters' Resource hosts a lot of ripped content)

Also, I just remembered recently that there are plugins that change MV's tile size (link), allowing the use of 32x32 graphics, but as I have not used it myself, I'm not sure if it applies to character sprites as well. If it doesn't work, I'm willing to try to edit your spritesheet into 48x48.

(Edit: Had some time so I messed around a bit to edit the sprite into a 48x48 grid, which hopefully works with your game's looks)
Actually I didn't rip the sprites there. I just took the sprites there as a reference for the new sprite style of my game (I've never ripped anything from a game for use in my game (s)).

The lineart between the sprite sheet I created versus the sprite sheet I found on SR is different: I use only solid black lines for the outline, while that the sheet (s) I found there is not, and it uses various colors for the outline. I cannot post the game sheet I mentioned here because that is ripped from a game (namely Pokemon BW).

Well well, for the plugin, I've read through its thread and see that its changes only applied to tile sets not sprites.
But anyway, thanks for your edit, arsMori! I will (probably) add you into the credits of my game, and you would be pleased if I do so!

arsMori

Drawer of Images
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're welcome! Just checking with the ripped sprites thing because it'd be a hassle if you put in a lot of work already then found out later on the line that you can't post it.

Also just a heads up, I edited the spritesheet in a 24x24 grid, then exported it to 2x size so it's 48x48, for when you're making new sprites so the pixels stay big like the outline.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am already planning some games to make in Unite... I hope it gets a solid release date soon!
Remember to do even 0,01% progress on your game today! You can!
Watched a video of a kid in China leaning against a giant ceramic teletuby statue (valued at nearly $4000 apparently) in a toy store and everyone arguing whether it's the parents or the store's fault. I'm just sitting up wondering why anyone would make a giant ceramic toddler toy in the first place other than to deliberately cause exactly that from happening in the first place though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arrow_Legion